Dr. Resul Yaman botched transplant. What next?

Hello everyone,

I’m a longtime lurker, used this forum to find my surgeon earlier this year and have learned a great deal from everyone’s posts. 
I had my 1st transplant back in May on the 18th. I was a Norwood 2, verging on a three and Dr Yaman did 2840 grafts to repair my hairline as well as lowering it by 1/2 an inch.

6 months later the results have been less than satisfactory. I had extreme shock loss and didn’t see any growth on the frontal hairline until about 4.5 months. My donor area also took 5 months to heal and I had extreme scarring from the procedure that is still healing. I reached out to the clinic and they told me it was still super early, and to be patient. Fast forward to 6 months and it has grown a little, but still sparse. I have reached out to the clinic and they told me that while the results are less than they expected for the time frame, I need to wait a couple more months to see the final results. They also said they would do a free retouch.

my question is this. Should I go with the same clinic for a free retouch or look elsewhere?

652BDCA5-CCE8-4CEF-80E1-7DFD484E9A58.jpeg

678AFCF7-0307-4D80-AE94-5B825A328ED4.jpeg

B623D931-7914-4ECE-B818-4C3F7B85672A.jpeg

• Sad 2

Honestly, I'd hold out and wait some, that doesn't look bad for six months. Be curious to see the before and after pics. 6 to 9 months often boosts results like this into great results.

I guess if it doesn't turn out great, that is a a tough question. Trouble with same doc or go elsewhere. I've read this doc is solid, so that makes it seem like well yeah take him up on the retouch, but I get being hesitant.

• Confused 1

I'm not a fan of Yaman, I consider him on a par with Serkan and Cinik, that is, the best hair mills in Turkey, at least until some time ago, now he seems to have refined his technique, in fact it seems to me that he divides the mega sessions in two days and sometimes you use manual extraction instead of motorized, I am waiting to see the final results of a couple of patients who recently had the procedure in his clinic to think otherwise.  Do you have pictures of the hair without you pulling it back with your hand?

Again, looks pretty good for 6 months compared with prior's. Some folks super robust at 6 months and others less so, you're somewhere in the middle. Let's hope there is lots just popping and coming in. 

3 hours ago, Trevorjames said:

my question is this. Should I go with the same clinic for a free retouch or look elsewhere?

If I was in your position, and after waiting for the full results to become evident, I would not go back to the same place if I considered it sub par.  If the doctor and techs had trouble with your hair type in the first place, they will continue to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trevorjames said:

Here is a picture without the hair pulled back.

B5242714-6C09-4BE8-A8A8-9F254EB92F50.jpeg

2D6E3A35-BD43-4C45-8AA9-694A2B7A924C.jpeg

2FB89C74-A9A6-47E4-A6B1-1BD900CD5C97.jpeg

It is thin yes, but at this point, you have to wait at least another 2 months, see even if your hairline will appear natural, as well as dense, without double or triple or big shafts, then you will decide what to do.

• Administrators

I’m sorry to hear that you’re disappointed. You had surgery May of this year? Or May of last year? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Trevorjames said:

@Melvin- Moderator I had the surgery in May of this year.

Okay, so there’s still time, it’s only been 6 months. It’s possible that you’re a slow grower. I wouldn’t give up yet. Document your photos each month. Have you spoken to the clinic to keep them in the loop? 

I do believe calling this a failure is too early at 6 months. But definitely keep the clinic involved if you’re concerned.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Trevorjames said:

@Melvin- Moderator yes I spoke to the clinic this morning and they told me that it is less than what they were expecting but to wait a couple more months, then if I’m not happy they would do a free retouch. But I’m hesitant to do that.

Well that shows that they are indeed an ethical clinic and they are standing by their work. I would give it a few more months, then reassess. 

View my thread

It is early man, I wouldn't call it a botch by any stretch at this point.

Have you checked growth timelines of patients with similar (afro/curly) hair as yours? And the offer of a free touch-up does speak of Dr. Yaman's integrity. Give it some time, make sure to supplement with some Saw Palmetto/Biotin (if you are not already) and re-evaluate in three months time. 

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t go back to yaman. You have afro textured hair which is difficult in of itself. He runs a clinic which is heavily tech-based and I don’t agree with that philosophy at all. If there is even a single doubt about a surgeon, follow your gut and go somewhere more reputable. Consult with someone like bisanga who is known to produce good results on afro hair.