Question to all Oral Minoxidil Users ?

I have a question to all Guys here who take Oral Minoxidil ?

Do you guys also apply Topical Minoxidil along with taking Oral Minoxidil ? When my Dermatologist put me on Oral Minoxidil he advised me against stopping using Topical Minoxidil saying that look at Oral Minoxidil as a tool to enhance and supplement topical Minoxidil. It is not a substitute to applying Topical Minoxidil. I am confused hearing this from him. How many of you guys apart from taking oral Minoxidil also apply Topical Minoxidil ? 

Also which time of the day or night do you guys take Oral Minoxidil ? I have been advised to take it at night just before bed time.

I have been told to continue using the power of 2.5MG Oral Minoxidil every day for 3 Months before it can be scaled up to 5 MG ?

Edited by augustya

Taking oral AND topical makes sense because less than 1% of topical goes systemic.

In other words if you take 1ml topical that = 50mg MX. 

50mg X 1% = 0.5mg.

So that means only 0.5 mg of topical goes into your bloodstream, which means you're only taking 3mg MX in total daily

1 minute ago, Westview said:

Taking oral AND topical makes sense because less than 1% of topical goes systemic.

In other words if you take 1ml topical that = 50mg MX. 

50mg X 1% = 0.5mg.

So that means only 0.5 mg of topical goes into your bloodstream, which means you're only taking 3mg MX in total daily

Yes but my question is the whole idea people prefer and like and would want to switch away from the hassles and messiness of applying Topical Minoxidil. why would someone want to do both ? That's way too much effort and work to save your hair isn't ? And is very Tiring and Boring.

1 minute ago, augustya said:

Yes but my question is the whole idea people prefer and like and would want to switch away from the hassles and messiness of applying Topical Minoxidil. why would someone want to do both ? That's way too much effort and work to save your hair isn't ? And is very Tiring and Boring.

Here's the way I do it.  I apply topical MX in the morning.

Eat my breakfast, read my morning newspapers....etc.

After about 1 hour the MX will have been absorbed through my scalp skin.

I then wash the excess grease out of my hair under warm tapwater (as warm as you can take it) for a few minutes.

I then proceed to take my bath or shower and wash my hair twice with clarifying shampoo.

This gets rid of all the MX topical greasiness.

You only need to apply topical MX once daily.  Applying it twice daily will not grow you anymore hair

---------------------------------------------------------------

Another way to do it is apply at night before going to bed, then  just wash out the next morning using the same instructions as above.

I have never had a greasy head from topical MX since I started doing this

10 minutes ago, Westview said:

Here's the way I do it.  I apply topical MX in the morning.

Eat my breakfast, read my morning newspapers....etc.

After about 1 hour the MX will have been absorbed through my scalp skin.

I then wash the excess grease out of my hair under warm tapwater (as warm as you can take it) for a few minutes.

I then proceed to take my bath or shower and wash my hair twice with clarifying shampoo.

This gets rid of all the MX topical greasiness.

You only need to apply topical MX once daily.  Applying it twice daily will not grow you anymore hair

---------------------------------------------------------------

Another way to do it is apply at night before going to bed, then  just wash out the next morning using the same instructions as above.

I have never had a greasy head from topical MX since I started doing this

But you are missing the point ! First is it a well established fact and backed by data ?  that you just cannot rely on Oral Minoxidil and should also continue applying Topical Minoxidil ?

How to apply it ? Tips and Tricks on how to apply it. These all come later...My question is why need for both ? and is there a need for both ? I know I am free to do as I wish. But I am trying to find out from guys here what have their respective Dermats told them ?

1 hour ago, augustya said:

But you are missing the point ! First is it a well established fact and backed by data ?  that you just cannot rely on Oral Minoxidil and should also continue applying Topical Minoxidil ?

How to apply it ? Tips and Tricks on how to apply it. These all come later...My question is why need for both ? and is there a need for both ? I know I am free to do as I wish. But I am trying to find out from guys here what have their respective Dermats told them ?

There probably is no need for both. 

I'm guessing you will get a tiny boost from doing both topical AND oral MX.

Maybe a few extra dozen hairs??  Maybe a few extra hundred??

And because MX is so cheap they figure why not do both

3 hours ago, augustya said:

I have been told to continue using the power of 2.5MG Oral Minoxidil every day for 3 Months before it can be scaled up to 5 MG ?

Were you told to take 2.5mg once or twice daily??

Edited by Westview

9 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

No, the oral version works great for me without messing around with the topical. In fact I’m a non-responder to the topical version.

How did you find out that only oral works for you ? And topical does not ?

• Like 1