Alcohol, diet do’s and Don’ts before HT

I’m curious for folks who drink alcohol how many days before your transplant did you stop drinking, also is there any recommendations on foods to eat or not eat prior to surgery, I do have a list from my doctors office already but any comment’s are welcome and appreciated. 

I can't comment on the alcohol side but do not drink coffee. I learnt the harder way when my BP spiked a bit and blood wasn't clotting as well after the first day post-op. 

Usually i like the idea of a bit of coffee to wake me up for the rest of the day, but this wasn't a good thing for my body during the HT and also i never remained fully awake during moments. 

You're likely to find a lot of variance when it comes to the answers, because there aren't any universally agreed upon guidelines for these sorts of things. It can make it quite confusing tbh, which is why it's always the safest bet to just follow your own surgeon's guidelines. (Although I've seen some very outlandishly conservative guidelines over the years that have been very safe to disregard. ;) )

Dr. Mohebi's pre-op protocol says not to drink alcohol just one day before and one day after the procedure, though I know there are surgeons who require more. One of the main substances Dr. Mohebi is strict about is aspirin, which he says needs to be stopped 10 days before the procedure. 

As for the day of surgery, you'll likely not be able to consume anything after midnight the day before for anesthesia purposes. Leading up to that, I don't think there are a lot of restrictions in terms of food. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 7 months later...

How long after the surgery should alcohol and cigarettes be avoided.
I do not mean getting hammered drunk and smoking 2 packs, but occasional beer or 2-3 glasses of wine and one-two cigarettes here and then.
I do understand the logic of "the more you abstain the higher your chances, so just dont do it bro", but being realistic, there will have to be some compromise after few weeks, so I just need to understand what time period is an absolute red zone, and where are things considered ok in moderation.

I was getting absolutely hammered on a weekly basis from around day 10 after my surgery and results looking good after 4 months. I think some of us are way too cautious when it comes to hair transplants. What you eat or drink isn’t going to dramatically affect your results. 

There are minimum or close to no dietary restrictions. The only thing that required our patients is to avoid alcohol for the first 10 days after the surgery. Also there are some restrictions on spicy or salty food for the first three to five days. Of course, you can have some spice or salty food but it should be within the normal limits and with no exaggeration. Also you need to stop drinking alcohol at least 24 hours before your surgery.