Shock loss or overharvest? 1.5 month update - FUE - 2750 grafts - Turkey

exhibito

Hello, 

I am 7 weeks post op from Turkey, I did a simple hair line lowering and temple work, about lower 1.5cm, the left side of my donor is mostly healed I would say about 7/10, but the right side is concerning me greatly. I suspect too much grafts have been taken out or shock loss? I did not get this shock loss on the left side, on the right side, the hairs are growing like baby hairs and it looks like there is no density there at all. Just wondering if I should panic or if its part of the process. 

To be honest, In hindsight,  didn't think my clinic needed 2700 grafts for this work, they reinforced my hairline which was about a Norwood 2 and added to my sideburns, temple area, so the transplanted hair could "blend" in properly I didn't think I needed any sideburn work and they didn't explain this properly to me. 

Here are my 7 weeks post-op pics, is this concerning overharvesting? I am not taking any medication, when I sent these pics to my clinic they mentioned this is part of normal process, that they have seen "worse". Since I was adamant, they recommended using two bottles of Rogaine - Minoxidil, my understanding is that once i start minox I become depended on it, so I have not done that. Is this OK?

Prior to procedure, my right side is usually a bit lower density and grows slower.  Procedure was done 2750 grafts on Sep 7. If all else fails, I will buzz to guard 1, or shave off until I can repair with Dr Mwamba, which I probably should have gone to in the first place.

All pics below are depicting the same right-side troublesome donor area that is not growing properly.

7 months post op:

UrFBERr.png.c3a2f978c3ed503ceb6e3b6197790cc7.pngvcjXnmn.png.ad4c24c55959a7c26e47f81fea1edd8f.pngE40hIRp.png.af59f9460fee7a6521659776d4e1cd97.png

5 weeks post op:

799296529_ScreenShot2022-10-25at22_37_08.png.0229bab6af8d18bc1c5850e1a504eaff.png

1262974339_WhatsAppImage2022-10-10at11_20_31PM.thumb.jpeg.51539596d82c0e4fe945d776995a0c60.jpeg

1.5 weeks post op:

22836960_ScreenShot2022-10-25at22_40_34.thumb.png.f6562fc8f9eec02828cd3db134513611.png

At this point, it may very well be shock loss. Different parts of your scalp will react differently and exhibit different amounts of shock loss. Wait until 4-5 months (when any shock loss should have long resolved) in order to assess the situation. 

• Thanks 1

It doesn’t really look good. But then again you are only 7 weeks post op. 

if it’s any consolation it took me about 2ish months to get back to “normal” in my donor area. I don’t have the same curls as you but I do have curly hair if it helps for reference on how it heals. 

do you have any immediate post op pictures between the extractions and implantation? Having side burn hairs implanted is a strange thing to hear. 

• Sad 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

4 hours ago, Vann said:

It doesn’t really look good. But then again you are only 7 weeks post op. 

if it’s any consolation it took me about 2ish months to get back to “normal” in my donor area. I don’t have the same curls as you but I do have curly hair if it helps for reference on how it heals. 

do you have any immediate post op pictures between the extractions and implantation? Having side burn hairs implanted is a strange thing to hear. 

thanks for the reply, this is my fear as well, i'm closer to 2 month than 1 month and not seeing much improvement, the hair is growing in that section but its extremely thin. 

Unfortunately, they did not take any pics between extraction and implantation I can share with you. 

This is an example photo I have with the scabs still in place (the extra grafts spent on the sideburns was a waste imo).

Please let me know what other photos or thoughts the community has on this issue. 

image.png.5523dc323e8e2cf2748754a97d0416d7.png

29 minutes ago, exhibito said:

@Vann, @StillAlive Can I apply minoxodil to the right side per the clinic's request? They asked me to complete two bottles of Rogaine. if this helps, will I lose the hair when I stop the Rogaine? 

First I think you should take a step back. Most often I read people taking a pause from minoxidixil for a month to three months depending on what their surgeon recommends. 

in terms of over harvesting/shock loss it’s hard to say early on. If you have any prior photos with natural lighting it might help. Also, remember minox doesn’t solve any of the issues your currently facing. It helps to have your hair grow back faster (if it works as intended) but even when you stop using it. Those gains may go back to what they were previously. 

do you mind disclosing the clinic you went with?

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Just now, exhibito said:

Hair of Istanbul 

I went there too, biggest mistake of my life ive tried really hard to warn others on the internet, as it is not much you can do till 12 months maybe try scar gel if you scar badly which was the case for me and if it fails post a negative review to get a refund then move on to an actual surgeon

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, mmokin said:

I went there too, biggest mistake of my life ive tried really hard to warn others on the internet, as it is not much you can do till 12 months maybe try scar gel if you scar badly which was the case for me and if it fails post a negative review to get a refund then move on to an actual surgeon

I personally know someone who went there who's hair texture is similar to mine and he got near flawless results. But this was back in 2020.

Can you please post your pictures and how far long you are now?

To be clear mine looks horrible in direct light mostly. I'm also having some weird nerve issue where the scalp feels really sensitive. I don't know if this it normal?

I plan on going to Mwamba in Atlanta to fix it next year if it doesn't recover. When I contact HoI they make it seem like it's completely normal but my gut tells me otherwise. I feel like it's not. 

I getting close to 2 months. Here is another pic from today:

Screenshot_20221027-134239_Gallery.jpg.64aae1f1c8e146b0a04c1704f06761c1.jpg

21 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Shock loss should resolve by around month 4-5. Nothing you can do right now but wait. With HOI it just really depends on which tech team you get assigned to. Hopefully this turns around. Are you on any treatments like fin?

I'm not on anything. Should I take fin? I made it adamantly clear about my donor to hoi before the procedure. The right side looks like the pics. Left is little better and the back seems even. 

13 minutes ago, exhibito said:

I'm not on anything. Should I take fin? I made it adamantly clear about my donor to hoi before the procedure. The right side looks like the pics. Left is little better and the back seems even. 

11 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

I’m guessing you’re relatively young. If you have male pattern baldness then finasteride should seriously be considered.

Thank you so much. I'm not that young I'm 35