To believe or not to believe... that is the question!

Betterhair

Why are there so many conflicting reports in regards to 1mg finasteride safety use. Are the horror stories one can read about fabricated? Dimentia, suicide, chronic depression.... why are there reports of this if it does not exist? 

This goes back and forth. Who has the truth? Is this drug safe??

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Betterhair said:

Why are there so many conflicting reports in regards to 1mg finasteride safety use. Are the horror stories one can read about fabricated? Dimentia, suicide, chronic depression.... why are there reports of this if it does not exist? 

This goes back and forth. Who has the truth? Is this drug safe??

It is safe, but not perfect. Yes, there are some horror stories that are true. I bet you could find the same horror stories for virtually every medicine out there. 

Obviously, the safer alternative is to get on a topical, this goes for minoxidil and finasteride. Though, I do believe the oral is more effective, but comes with higher chances of side effects. If you’re worried try a topical first. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Even most of the ""horror stories"" are fully reversible after stopping as the FDA trials state.

All it does is lower DHT levels in your serum. Once you return to baseline you should be fine again if you stop it after a few weeks.

The chance that it does permanent damage forever is probably less than being hit by a lighting bolt in plain daylight, and, this effect of "permanent damage" is not even recognized by 10 years of scientific trials so it might be just nocebo internet facts (like you can find for literally every drug)

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

• 1 month later...

Update. I’m taking finasteride now. No sides so far. Huge psychological relief for me as I know I will retain the hair I have and possibly grow more. 
My case is a classic example to stay away from nonsense posted on the internet. Yes, everyone responds differently to meds but my gosh … all the negative info out there is more detrimental than one would think!

Anyway, I look forward to taking my 1 mg dose each morning and curious on the outcome. I’m also scheduled for a HT this summer, so things are looking up.

I should post pics along the way .

😀

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

• 3 months later...

Been on oral 1 mg finasteride for 3 1/2 months now. Here’s a before prior to taking the meds and a current pic. The current pic does show some root spray I use prior to adding hair fibers , still left on the scalp but not much.

I have noticed that my hair has stabilized and is not falling out. I just hope I do get some regrowth. Anyway, let me know what you think of the pics.

chow for now……

E5C7269D-41BC-4960-865B-8656571B9C2F.jpeg

E9D24C53-99B0-4CD7-94B1-79AC4116F0BF.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Betterhair said:

Been on oral 1 mg finasteride for 3 1/2 months now. Here’s a before prior to taking the meds and a current pic. The current pic does show some root spray I use prior to adding hair fibers , still left on the scalp but not much.

I have noticed that my hair has stabilized and is not falling out. I just hope I do get some regrowth. Anyway, let me know what you think of the pics.

chow for now……

E5C7269D-41BC-4960-865B-8656571B9C2F.jpeg

E9D24C53-99B0-4CD7-94B1-79AC4116F0BF.jpeg

This is why sometimes you gotta just try it. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

11 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@Betterhair this is very early days. By 12 months I think things will get a lot more exciting! 👍

I hope so…. Fingers crossed. Going to be interesting to see if my mid scalp and crown fills in since it’s not shiny bald. From what I’ve read… if the papillae are still intact and functioning…. There’s hope for reviving those but everyone’s response is uniquely different.

• Like 1

FYI …… I am taking generic Finasteride from Costco and it seems to be working just fine. I guess some think generic is not as effective but since it has the same ingredients I don’t see how that could be the case.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Betterhair said:

FYI …… I am taking generic Finasteride from Costco and it seems to be working just fine. I guess some think generic is not as effective but since it has the same ingredients I don’t see how that could be the case.

If you buy a legit generic, it should be the same. The problem is when you start buying generics from China. They could be super underdosed. 

View my thread

I’ve discussed this with several highly regarded hair transplant docs and they’ve told me not all generics are the same. People losing ground on generics is fairly common. Avoid generics manufactured in India and China, Teva is a good brand for high quality generics. The online pharmacies like Hims, Keeps, Roman, etc all sell low quality generics. If you want to save money on brand name finasteride, get a Proscar prescription and split the tablets into 4. If you live in the US and want significantly cheaper Avodart, send your prescription to a Canadian mail order pharmacy (I use NorthWestPharmacy). I believe Costco sources highly quality generics so you should be fine but pay attention to the brand you’re currently taking and make sure the pharmacy doesn’t make any substitutions.

Edited by Tiger2050

1 hour ago, Tiger2050 said:

I’ve discussed this with several highly regarded hair transplant docs and they’ve told me not all generics are the same. People losing ground on generics is fairly common. Avoid generics manufactured in India and China, Teva is a good brand for high quality generics. The online pharmacies like Hims, Keeps, Roman, etc all sell low quality generics. If you want to save money on brand name finasteride, get a Proscar prescription and split the tablets into 4. If you live in the US and want significantly cheaper Avodart, send your prescription to a Canadian mail order pharmacy (I use NorthWestPharmacy). I believe Costco sources highly quality generics so you should be fine but pay attention to the brand you’re currently taking and make sure the pharmacy doesn’t make any substitutions.

Great information… thank you I will definitely check into it.

On 10/25/2022 at 4:14 AM, WhereIsMyMind said:

Even most of the ""horror stories"" are fully reversible after stopping as the FDA trials state.

All it does is lower DHT levels in your serum. Once you return to baseline you should be fine again if you stop it after a few weeks.

The chance that it does permanent damage forever is probably less than being hit by a lighting bolt in plain daylight, and, this effect of "permanent damage" is not even recognized by 10 years of scientific trials so it might be just nocebo internet facts (like you can find for literally every drug)

There is a reason there are lawsuits. For sure higher chance than lightening.
One is messing with the body's natural function. Yes some people are fine. Other are not. Its a gamble.

So people that do not bald have naturally lower DHT levels and those that have to take finasteride to lower their levels to the same as those that do not bald might experience side effects , because of the levels having to be lowered artificially.
Or is it that people who bald have an increase in DHT due to something else and lowering that something else is what results in possible side effects?