When do side effects of Finasteride start?

ndksv22

I want to start using Finasteride as fast as possible but I know that there is a possibility of side effects. In the first half of December I have a very important event (exam that basically decides my whole future) so I really don't need depressions etc. during that time.

Assuming these side effects occur, at which point do they usually begin? Does it take until Finasteride starts working or even faster?

• Valued Contributor

If you have a very important exam in December then I suggest that you don't commence finasteride until after your exam. Not because you are guaranteed to get any side effects. But because sub consciously knowing that you are taking the drug may cause them regardless. All the best with your exam!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If you have a very important exam in December then I suggest that you don't commence finasteride until after your exam. Not because you are guaranteed to get any side effects. But because sub consciously knowing that you are taking the drug may cause them regardless. All the best with your exam!

That makes sense. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, FixMyHair213 said:

what sort of things can develop many years later? ive been taking it for a year and a half and have never had any side effects. 

I've been on the med for about 30 years and never experienced a side effect. It has always been my understanding there's more testosterone with the med.  So, I choose to think about it that way. I tend to think, if you believe you'll experience a side effect, you eventually will. 

Years ago, I worked for a doctor that wrote about this same subject for his doctoral degree.  He was under the impression that the use of the med would eventually lead to dementia.  We'll have to wait and see if this becomes true.

Year after year, it seems, more negativity comes up regarding the use of the medication.  Regardless, I plan on continue taking the med.  Can you imagine a consultant in the industry with no hair? No bueno.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

12 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Years ago, I worked for a doctor that wrote about this same subject for his doctoral degree.  He was under the impression that the use of the med would eventually lead to dementia.  We'll have to wait and see if this becomes true.

You don't see any problems with this statement? No attempt to expand on it, or why this doctor you worked for hypothesized that Finasteride "would eventually lead to dementia"?

21 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

You don't see any problems with this statement? No attempt to expand on it, or why this doctor you worked for hypothesized that Finasteride "would eventually lead to dementia"?

Unfortunately, I only saw him sparingly and never got the opportunity to discuss this with him.  If I had more info, I would have shared it with the group.  

But there is something else I would like to add.  It's not uncommon for patients to blame the medication for whatever they're experiencing at any one time.  Say, headaches, for example.  "Brain-fog is another. Likely coincidental.

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

2 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

I've been on the med for about 30 years and never experienced a side effect. It has always been my understanding there's more testosterone with the med.  So, I choose to think about it that way. I tend to think, if you believe you'll experience a side effect, you eventually will. 

Year after year, it seems, more negativity comes up regarding the use of the medication.  Regardless, I plan on continue taking the med.  Can you imagine a consultant in the industry with no hair? No bueno.

Hair loss is known to be fast when your younger and slow down when youre older. do you know of anyone who lets say took finasteride for 20 years from the age of 20 to 40 then stopped then didnt recieve hair loss or recieved it minimally? Im currently an nw2.5-3 at 21 years old. ive been taken finasteride for 1 and a half years and have stabilized my hairloss but ideally I dont want to be on medication forever so im not sure what to do. 

1 minute ago, FixMyHair213 said:

Hair loss is known to be fast when your younger and slow down when youre older. do you know of anyone who lets say took finasteride for 20 years from the age of 20 to 40 then stopped then didnt recieve hair loss or recieved it minimally? Im currently an nw2.5-3 at 21 years old. ive been taken finasteride for 1 and a half years and have stabilized my hairloss but ideally I dont want to be on medication forever so im not sure what to do. 

I am aware of many patients through the years that stopped the med after years of use.  They wanted to "check" to see what would happen.  At the first sign of loss, they resumed taking the med.  Take me for example.  If I stop, I'll lose what I would have lost had I not been on the medication.  This does bring a good point.  Say you were not meant to lose anything in those many years, then nothing will happen.  Unfortunately, we do not have a hair crystal ball to give us that info. 

The medication is now available as a topical solution.  There's also Rogaine, PRP, Laser.  Perhaps adding some, if not all of these, to the mix would be a good idea.  They work in different ways and there's synergy when combined.  

1 hour ago, FixMyHair213 said:

Well that is a popular belief but it is wrong. Hair loss will pick up again in the higher age. At the end very few men have good hair. And Propecia won't change that fact  

9 hours ago, SoSoz said:

For me it was after second pill. I quited asap. My man part wouldn't work at all.

Some of the guys here think that your thinking must have caused it to not work. Of course they must know what goes on inside your head and they must also have a Ph.D in Pharmacology and still believe that even after 30 years of taking it, there are no side effects. I hope everything started working again. For some, it doesn’t return. They must have some really strong thinking.