Best resources for learning about hairline design?

I am looking to finalize my hairline design and I would like to learn as much about it as possible, so that when my surgeon makes his suggested hairline, I'll know where he's coming from, how it'll turn out, and how it'll be perceived. And if for any reason I have a suggestions, it's from a well informed foundation. 

• Like 1

Honestly, the best hairline design possible is the matured version of the hairline you had when you were 18-20year old. That's what will always look most natural result unless you never liked it, then you will have to risk having an "artificial result" which is hard to see if it will favour you until it grows.

• Like 3

Honestly, I would mostly leave this up to the surgeon. Definitely make sure that you have a good idea of how you'd ideally like your hairline to look, but then trust the surgeon's expertise to guide you in the right direction. If you're choosing a surgeon you trust and have good rapport with, then they'll be able to give you the best hairline education you could ask for. And if you want a more mature hairline, I don't think any surgeon would fight you on that. In fact, I'm sure if anything, they mostly have to talk people into being more conservative.

I went through this exact thing with @Parsa Mohebi, MD when I had my consultation with him. I had an idea of what I wanted, but it was his professional guidance and input on what he thought would be best for me that allowed me to let go of what thought was best and work with him to create a hairline that we both would sign off on. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

You need to firstly understand the limitations of a hair transplant and where you're starting from in terms of Norwood scale, future hair loss etc. 

That plays a crucial part of hairline design because whilst a Norwood 3 or lower in their 30s and beyond stable for years and on medication can afford to be more aggressive with the design, a person starting at Norwood 5 and beyond will have to compromise. 

The next crucial limitations of a hair transplant imo are from your frontalis muscle. The muscles you furrow when you usually wrinkle your forehead through raising your eyebrows. You do not want to put the har grafts on the muscles but above it. Some people may have a lower sitting frontalis muscle, but if you're Norwood 6/7, you're not going to be realistically getting a juvenile low hairline. 

The next marker of hairline design is usually your facial thirds. The distance from the glabella (middle of eyebrows) to the hairline and then from glabella to just under the tip of the nose and then from there to the bottom of your chin. This "3rds" is where your face attempts to be split into a roughly equal amount for aesthetics. Too low a hairline and it looks weird too. At first it might not seem like it, but over time, it will usually show. 

Eugenix have a great video on YouTube about hairline positioning but besides that, you should remember above all, within those "rules", a hair transplant is an aesthetic procedure and you have an ability to input and influence into the design. I felt mine was a bit more rushed and even though i had done quite a lot of thinking, i think i would have slightly tweaked a couple things but nothing massively altering i guess. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

The best hairline design is the one that will 'look natural' for the rest of your life. The problem however is that many young guys want the hairline that they had when they were 16. Everyone's muscle structure and shape, size, etc is different so their is no one size fits all. An excellent surgeon will understand how to take all of these variables into account and plan accordingly. All the best!

• Like 1