How many grafts would I need?

• Administrators

How old are you? Are you on medication?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

If you are not on medication to stabilise your MPB you run the risk of losing the lot. If you were to have a transplant now for the crown, you will have no donor left for the rest of your scalp. You really need to think of MPB as being progressive over the lifespan. You don’t want to be left with an island of hair in the crown. 

Very very similar hair loss pattern to myself - a high norwood diffuse thinner. Graft count depends on the doctor. Front to midscalp, with a top doctor you'll probably need 2k-3k. Crown will require more or less that amount as well (and will likely be thinner). You'll certainly need multiple surgeries. Once your front thins out, you will benefit from a 3rd pass.

What's your age?

On 9/29/2022 at 9:37 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

How old are you? Are you on medication?

Sorry for late reply. I was travelling. I am 28. I am on minoxidil + finasteride from 2 years. Already done 1 hair transplant with 3000 grafts with not so good doctor. Not sure what to expect now. I was Norwood 5 before.

On 9/30/2022 at 12:02 PM, LookMaxx said:

2000-3000

If it’s just vertex you don’t need many grafts

Wow! 4k-6k are lot. I already have done one transplant with 3k grafts. Seems difficult to get head full of hair now. 

On 9/30/2022 at 12:02 PM, LookMaxx said:

2000-3000

If it’s just vertex you don’t need many grafts

This estimates gives me hope. Let's see if any doctor picks up my case.

31 minutes ago, bald said:

This estimates gives me hope. Let's see if any doctor picks up my case.

Yeah those hairs at the front look thick and healthy and if they’re transplanted hairs they are permanent.

If you keep using fin and min, you should’ve a wonderful result with a good clinic and your hairloss will stay stable even improve. 

Which doctor did your first transplant?

On 10/4/2022 at 4:30 AM, LookMaxx said:

Yeah those hairs at the front look thick and healthy and if they’re transplanted hairs they are permanent.

If you keep using fin and min, you should’ve a wonderful result with a good clinic and your hairloss will stay stable even improve. 

Which doctor did your first transplant?

I did my first hair transplant here - 
I was vulnerable because of norwood 5 at 25 and went ahead without much research. When it came to surgery, it was a disaster. Nearly 90% work done by technicians, doctor present only to punch in hairs along the hair line and that too there are small bumps along my hairline. 

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed link