9 Month Results

TakingThePlunge

Well, here I am again. Just posted my 36 week results to my blog. My feelings are pretty well documented on this board so I'm not going to add any more commentary at this point. I'm not fishing for a pat on the back or pep talk. Just trying to remain consistent througout the remainder of this HT's maturation.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm sorry to see that things have still not progressed; while 2k to begin with is a pretty thin graft estimate, it really doesn't seem like you had great growth; though the growth might not be "that" low, since you needed 100% survival IMHO to even have a chance at approximating a legit illusion of density.

Do you think you will have Alexander and/or another doc evaluate you at 12months to get an actual % on your growth? Any plans for a future HT down the road? I can imagine how difficult it must be to commit to go through this, but you still certainly have options and likely have plenty of donor remaining.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

On the contrary, unless I'm missing something, there appears to be a dramatic improvement over the last 4 weeks.

32 weeks verses 36 weeks below from his patient website

IMG_1482_1.jpgIMG_1495_Small.jpg

Given the difference in the pictures above, I suspect Taking the Plunge may just be a late bloomer. Hopefully things will continue to improve with time.

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree with Bill. You are still improving there Plunge. Don't count this has a failure just yet. It might not end up in the hall of fame, but it's looking better.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

As always, I appreciate everyone's comments.

Bill, it does seem to look better side by side but it's important to note two things changed here. I do try to find good lighting in my place and never use a flash but a couple of things are different. One, I've been letting my hair grow longer on Dr. A's suggestion and, two, this time around, I combed my hair forward and flattened it out while it was wet and then let it dry that way. I find that this reduces the "bird nest" look that it is prone to. I never use a thickening shampoo or any products in my hair on picture days.

I had 2516 grafts. a few people have mentioned in the past that this is not a high number and I shouldn't expect too much or should be happy with what I got but I want to point out that I didn't come up with 2500 or ask, "how many can I get for this much money?" At my consultation, I asked Dr. Alexander how many grafts he felt I needed to achieve an acceptable result and he said 2500. We looked at examples of others he had done in that range with similar loss to mine and he was confident that I could achieve similar results. If he had said 3000 or 3500 or 4000 I would have done that.

I don't feel it's been a complete failure. I think I went from very unacceptable to almost acceptable. I'd like to hit acceptable or approach desirable.

Time will tell guys. I'll post again in four weeks!

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

First off, don't give up - for some, especially those who have had hairloss for a longer time, the result tends to come in more slowly. This happened to me the first time. In SOME cases, the wait 12-18 months is very true.

With that said, get on the Big 3 ASAP IMO!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Hey guys,

Yes, I am taking 1/4 Proscar daily

Rogaine 2x daily

Biotin 5000mcg daily

I'm debating whether or not to keep posting pics monthly or just wait for the one year mark.

Thanks to all!

I would not give up hope. It appears the there was nice improvement over the last 4 weeks. You still have another 3 to 5 months for more improvement

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

That improvement is not so great as to make me think that photographical conditions couldn't explain the difference.

I suppose that this isn't the thread in which to say this, but I'd rather not burden the forum with a new thread, so I'll say it here: even now, in 2009, the quality of the average transplant--even from the so-called top doctors--is rarely acceptable. Unless we develop a new method to create NEW hair, we will continue to see subpar results.

Originally posted by Shadow of the EMpire State:

That improvement is not so great as to make me think that photographical conditions couldn't explain the difference.

I suppose that this isn't the thread in which to say this, but I'd rather not burden the forum with a new thread, so I'll say it here: even now, in 2009, the quality of the average transplant--even from the so-called top doctors--is rarely acceptable. Unless we develop a new method to create NEW hair, we will continue to see subpar results.

I respect your opinion, but if the poor growth he experienced was the average result from top HT surgeons, this forum would likely reflect that. Although I would love to know what percentage do run into poor yield.