Freitas or Heinicke

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, I've been reading reviews for the past few months and most appreciate all the information on here.  I will share a bit about myself and my apologies if I don't get all the terminology correct!

I am 58 years old and currently a NWIII looking to having my coves filled and some density added in the front and center area.  I  currently don't use any medication, I've tried 2% topical Minoxidil for a few years, off and on. My scalp eventually got very irritated and itchy so I discontinued use.

I have reached out to to a few different Dr's and received on-line consultations with Dr. Ahmad, Feriduni and Bisanga.  In person consults have been with Freitas and Heinicke whom I'm leaning toward.   I liked them both and wanted to put it out there and see if anyone had any experiences they could share.  Obviously I see a lot of reviews for Freitas but not as many for Heinicke.  Any input would be appreciated.

I've added a  couple photos of my current state.

1193559952_IMG_3147copy.thumb.png.957ed7302c161e030d7b824187454400.png

\769792038_IMG_9073copy.thumb.jpg.69528d0428332d95648e8e16143054ea.jpg    

It sounds like you already narrowed down your choices so there’s really not anything anyone can do to help.  At this point, are you looking for opinions on which of the two doctors one would select over the other? Have you searched the forum for patient reviews and seen a multitude of examples presented via both clinics? Which one stands out to the most?  Which one are you most impressed with?

in my opinion, don’t get too caught up in bedside manner. While a physician being nice is certainly a bonus, at the end of the day, selecting a surgeon should be based on their proven ability to produce outstanding results that impress you.

in fact, below is the process I always advise people to follow in selecting a surgeon.  Hopefully this will help you.

Rahal Hair Transplant

How to Select an outstanding hair transplant surgeon. 

1.  Start by looking at the surgeons recommended by this community, in particular the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.  Surgeons recommended by this community have met a demanding set of standards and are approved based on meeting those high standards.  Many online hair surgeon memberships don’t have any criteria other than to pay a membership fee.  Furthermore, physician members of the coalition have met an even higher and more demanding set of standards and have proven to be amongst the best of the best in the profession.

2. Now even amongst a list of outstanding surgeons, not all surgeons are created equally. Therefore, while it’s tempting to select a surgeon based on price or location, try to avoid this as many individuals travel great distances to undergo surgery with an elite surgeon they are most impressed with. Thus choose a surgeon based on their proven ability to produce outstanding results rather than because of cost or location.

3. Narrow your selection down to 3 to 5 surgeons you are most impressed with.  You can do this by using this discussion forum and others to view examples of patient results posted by both the clinic and their patients.  Speak with and meet with real patients in person if possible. If not, video chat works pretty well.

4. Come up with a list of consult questions to ask each surgeon/clinic you are considering. I’ve created several different posts on this forum with good questions to ask doctors.  If you need help coming up with a list of good questions, please let me know.

5. Consult with each doctor you are considering and ultimately, choose the surgeon you feel can best meet your goals.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Can you show clear pictures from top of the frontal area? There seems to be thinning.  You should probably consider some kind of prevention preatment.  Also consider that in higher age (after age 65 or age 70) balding often picks up again. 

• Administrators

If possible visit these doctors in person or through video consults. Dr. Heinicke is good as well. I’ve considered adding him in due time. Dr. De Freitas is currently recommended and considered one of the best. 

My suggestion is take your time researching and consulting with many. Use our list as a starting point for research. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Personally, I think you should pick yourself on surgeons you have seen provide what is best with your type of hair. 

it’s hard to be objective when it comes to you and what you have. But that’s what helps to make it exactly how you would want it. 

of course not every case is the same but I think with the names you mentioned you can narrow down between the type of results you want whether it’s a conservative approach (bisanga) to more aggressive approaches (de freitas). But I am sure if you speak to the surgeons they can make the type of plans you want to their best ability. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 hour ago, Vann said:

Personally, I think you should pick yourself on surgeons you have seen provide what is best with your type of hair. 

it’s hard to be objective when it comes to you and what you have. But that’s what helps to make it exactly how you would want it. 

of course not every case is the same but I think with the names you mentioned you can narrow down between the type of results you want whether it’s a conservative approach (bisanga) to more aggressive approaches (de freitas). But I am sure if you speak to the surgeons they can make the type of plans you want to their best ability. 

Thanks Van, appreciate the suggestion.  Your  journey is looking great so far!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

i think considering his age (almost 60) its safe that he wont end up as a high norwood. maybe sth between norwood 3a and norwood 4a, dont think his vertex will go bald.

You think? I have had family members who had a similar if not better head of hair around his age and still lost a significant amount of hair later. In higher age, balding unfortunately tends to pick up again more aggressively.  But anyway, it would be interesting to hear what the 3 consulted Drs said. 

3 hours ago, Mike10 said:

Can you show clear pictures from top of the frontal area? There seems to be thinning.  You should probably consider some kind of prevention preatment.  Also consider that in higher age (after age 65 or age 70) balding often picks up again. 

Thanks Mike I appreciate your input.

Meh seems like a waste of money because you’re not balding. In my opinion you should focus on something else and use that money for better things but that’s just me.

Anyway you can choose any of the surgeons you listed and be happy. At most they will do 2k grafts if even that. 

Surgeon selection becomes crucial for higher norwoods when every graft survival matters. For cases like yours I think even hairmills do a decent job. 

1 minute ago, LookMaxx said:

Meh seems like a waste of money because you’re not balding. In my opinion you should focus on something else and use that money for better things but that’s just me.

Anyway you can choose any of the surgeons you listed and be happy. At most they will do 2k grafts if even that. 

Surgeon selection becomes crucial for higher norwoods when every graft survival matters. For cases like yours I think even hairmills do a decent job. 

He's clearly balding. Recessed hairline - NW3 probably. 

12 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

He's clearly balding. Recessed hairline - NW3 probably. 

Nah, all I see is a mature hairline on a 58 years old. NW2 probably. He’s not balding. In fact, I would say this mature hairline he most likely had since his 20s and 30s and it didn’t move an inch.

Half a century plus 8 years is a long time for hairs to survive, when they survive this long unless you’re very unlucky and one of the rare ones, those hairs will make it to the final deathbed too.

19 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

Nah, all I see is a mature hairline on a 58 years old. NW2 probably. He’s not balding. In fact, I would say this mature hairline he most likely had since his 20s and 30s and it didn’t move an inch.

Half a century plus 8 years is a long time for hairs to survive, when they survive this long unless you’re very unlucky and one of the rare ones, those hairs will make it to the final deathbed too.

That sort of corner recession isn't a "mature hairline". Much closer to nw3 than nw2. 

Trust me I get it, his hair looks good for his age especially for dudes who had a lot of loss in their 20's. But to say he isn't balding is crazy. 

On 9/20/2022 at 5:13 PM, Mike10 said:

Thanks Mike I appreciate your input.

1 hour ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Freitas would be my top choice from your list. He will make your hair look like it belongs in GQ magazine.

heinicke is ok but comparing him to Freitas, there’s no competition 

Thanks for the input I most appreciate it.