What meds should I take? Diffuse thinning

Es1

Hi all

So from scrolling through the forum and a previous post I made I have come to realise that a hair transplant at this stage is too early (even though I may want one, no good doctor has/would advise me to get one yet).

My hair the last month or so has started to get worse, I usually use topical minoxidil twice a day just on the front of my scalp where my hair is thinning, should I use all over?

I have been slacking due to being on a couple of holidays last 2 months and my hair has gotten worse. 

I also realise now even though I am anti medication usually - I have no choice if I want to 'save' what I have left and in order to have a successful transplant 

My question is shall I keep using the topical minoxidil and should i use it all over rather than just the front? Also what medication should I take? Finasteride? And does it effect if I'm trying for a baby?

I know you will all be helpful so thanks in advance!!Snapchat-175396728.thumb.jpg.cfb6628094b375a653d8e796cbe99b02.jpgSnapchat-571924366.thumb.jpg.f88ed567e65ba8d714c34a4a57536e30.jpgSnapchat-571924366.thumb.jpg.f88ed567e65ba8d714c34a4a57536e30.jpgSnapchat-1449401387.thumb.jpg.20a40bf57050a4f494acc127f63c662b.jpg

Snapchat-1625936814.jpg

• Administrators

I would get on oral fin and oral min. It may affect your sperm count, but only if it’s low to begin with. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would get on oral fin and oral min. It may affect your sperm count, but only if it’s low to begin with. 

I know you're against it from what I've saw lol

I am too but feeling desperate! Anything you could suggest as I'm sure you'd say I'm too early as well

On 9/12/2022 at 7:12 PM, Es1 said:

I am too but feeling desperate! Anything you could suggest as I'm sure you'd say I'm too early as well

Melvin isn't against finasteride or minoxidil. Those are the big two, millions of guys have been taking them for decades to hang on to as much hair as possible. 

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 3

On 9/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, Es1 said:

I also realise now even though I am anti medication usually - I have no choice if I want to 'save' what I have left and in order to have a successful transplant 

Unfortunately that is the predicament that we all face. 

Spend some time speaking to relevant doctors and not forum users, to learn and understand more about the different types of medications available. 

Get blood tests, consult some more, then weigh up the pro’s vs. cons for you personally. 

Your mindset going into medication is important. If you go in worried and resentful, the chances are, you won’t stick it out (which is a big mistake) and possibly convince yourself of things that may just be in your head. If you go into a regime you’re happy and confident with, holding a positive mindset that you are doing something productive to combat something that has been an issue in your life, you’re more likely to be a success story. 

Fact of the matter is, only you can make up your mind on what route you take, and you will hopefully make the correct decision for yourself. Everyone has an individual threshold of what they can accept and live with, we’re just fortunate to have a lot more ‘options’ these days, as opposed to older generations. On that point - I do acknowledge that there is arguably cause for speculation that physical appearances are much more focused upon in todays age, so maybe that can slightly negate the sympathy we have for our fathers and their peers. 

Just to end this - I’ll leave you with three take aways. 

Don’t listen to the idiocy written by hysterical forum posters on both sides  of the coin, listen to well respected and educated doctors. Remember the type of person in the world the typical hair loss forum poster is likely to be, and ask yourself, would you take their word as gospel if you were to meet them in the street ? 

Secondly - if you genuinely care and get preoccupied and affected by your hair loss, the worser your hair loss gets, this form of stress and anxiety is quite able to lead into physical illnesses and ailments similar or worse, to certain side effects hair loss medications potentially come with … , given your mentality is unable to be changed on your perception to your hair loss. 

And finally - if you are struggling to keep up with regularly using topical minoxidil, have a look into the oral version, and consult with some Dr’s regarding it. Much easier and more practical to use, from an application standpoint - and more and more research is suggesting, also superior in efficacy. 

• Like 1

Rule of thumb is that most of the top doctors will always advise the patient to take medication before undergoing surgery and for good reason. 

There's a lot of stigma around side effects and whattnots, howeaver it has been prover several times that medications such as Finasteride and Minoxidil are safe to be taken by the average user being more benefitial than not to anyone taking it. People believe the lack of DHT is the culprit behind the side effects, I tend to disagree howeaver since it has been proven that in adults it brings more harm then good besides hair loss. Pimples, prostate enlargement, prostate cancer among other health issues have been highly associated with the DHT so in that sense its more of a benefit even when considering other health aspects.

The only thing I may say is that there may be people that are more sensitive to side effects because of Finasteride blocking 5AR and having other hormones being not produced as a result, but there is little to no evidence as per my understanding that DHT is really necessary to the human body post puberty.

Bear in mind that I did pass some years of reesearching the pros and cons (too many unfortunately) before start taking the drug but am no doctor. Safest route for yourself is to get checked and if necessary get in medication ASAP so you can save the hassle of requiring too many surgeries and have the peace of mind of at least not losing hair.

All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Unfortunately that is the predicament that we all face. 

Spend some time speaking to relevant doctors and not forum users, to learn and understand more about the different types of medications available. 

Get blood tests, consult some more, then weigh up the pro’s vs. cons for you personally. 

Your mindset going into medication is important. If you go in worried and resentful, the chances are, you won’t stick it out (which is a big mistake) and possibly convince yourself of things that may just be in your head. If you go into a regime you’re happy and confident with, holding a positive mindset that you are doing something productive to combat something that has been an issue in your life, you’re more likely to be a success story. 

Fact of the matter is, only you can make up your mind on what route you take, and you will hopefully make the correct decision for yourself. Everyone has an individual threshold of what they can accept and live with, we’re just fortunate to have a lot more ‘options’ these days, as opposed to older generations. On that point - I do acknowledge that there is arguably cause for speculation that physical appearances are much more focused upon in todays age, so maybe that can slightly negate the sympathy we have for our fathers and their peers. 

Just to end this - I’ll leave you with three take aways. 

Don’t listen to the idiocy written by hysterical forum posters on both sides  of the coin, listen to well respected and educated doctors. Remember the type of person in the world the typical hair loss forum poster is likely to be, and ask yourself, would you take their word as gospel if you were to meet them in the street ? 

Secondly - if you genuinely care and get preoccupied and affected by your hair loss, the worser your hair loss gets, this form of stress and anxiety is quite able to lead into physical illnesses and ailments similar or worse, to certain side effects hair loss medications potentially come with … , given your mentality is unable to be changed on your perception to your hair loss. 

And finally - if you are struggling to keep up with regularly using topical minoxidil, have a look into the oral version, and consult with some Dr’s regarding it. Much easier and more practical to use, from an application standpoint - and more and more research is suggesting, also superior in efficacy. 

Wow I really appreciate your in depth and informative response, I certainly will take on board what you have said as you're totally right!

10 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Rule of thumb is that most of the top doctors will always advise the patient to take medication before undergoing surgery and for good reason. 

There's a lot of stigma around side effects and whattnots, howeaver it has been prover several times that medications such as Finasteride and Minoxidil are safe to be taken by the average user being more benefitial than not to anyone taking it. People believe the lack of DHT is the culprit behind the side effects, I tend to disagree howeaver since it has been proven that in adults it brings more harm then good besides hair loss. Pimples, prostate enlargement, prostate cancer among other health issues have been highly associated with the DHT so in that sense its more of a benefit even when considering other health aspects.

The only thing I may say is that there may be people that are more sensitive to side effects because of Finasteride blocking 5AR and having other hormones being not produced as a result, but there is little to no evidence as per my understanding that DHT is really necessary to the human body post puberty.

Bear in mind that I did pass some years of reesearching the pros and cons (too many unfortunately) before start taking the drug but am no doctor. Safest route for yourself is to get checked and if necessary get in medication ASAP so you can save the hassle of requiring too many surgeries and have the peace of mind of at least not losing hair.

All the best.

Appreciate the response 

I have been in contact within the last few days with Dr De Freitas surgery, filled out the forms etc and I await an online consultation. I'm mentioning this as I have saw you post about how you're going next year in June to get a transplant.

I am honestly thinking to try and book a transplant with him for 12 months from now and in the meantime stabilise what I have. I understand people say its too early but if I can stabilise it and get a good transplant with a reputable doctor that would be great!!

I mean why should I suffer with waiting potentially years for my hair to eventually fall lol, being only 27 years old and heavy into how I look and fitness etc I don't think I'll be able to cope 😂😂

So yeah I've contacted De Freitas and also tried Couto and Pinto but no response yet from the latter 2 

7 minutes ago, Es1 said:

Appreciate the response 

I have been in contact within the last few days with Dr De Freitas surgery, filled out the forms etc and I await an online consultation. I'm mentioning this as I have saw you post about how you're going next year in June to get a transplant.

I am honestly thinking to try and book a transplant with him for 12 months from now and in the meantime stabilise what I have. I understand people say its too early but if I can stabilise it and get a good transplant with a reputable doctor that would be great!!

I mean why should I suffer with waiting potentially years for my hair to eventually fall lol, being only 27 years old and heavy into how I look and fitness etc I don't think I'll be able to cope 😂😂

So yeah I've contacted De Freitas and also tried Couto and Pinto but no response yet from the latter 2 

Pinto increased the prices by a lot so it got a bit out for my pocket and Couto is booked for at least 2 years or at least I was when I got their reply. I think de Freitas is the safest and the most pocket friendly option at the moment. So I basically booked him over for next year. 

Try to stabilize as you say and then during the time you go for surgery you will be able to get the best results money can buy. 

Edited by TheGreatPretender
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Pinto increased the prices by a lot so it got a bit out for my pocket and Couto is booked for at least 2 years or at least I was when I got their reply. I think de Freitas is the safest and the most pocket friendly option at the moment. So I basically booked him over for next year. 

Try to stabilize as you say and then during the time you go for surgery you will be able to get the best results money can buy. 

To be honest I'm not sure of the prices, what are they per graft if you know?

I just know that these 3 are the best in Europe from what I've read and saw on the forum 

Good luck with your transplant bro

• Administrators
On 9/12/2022 at 4:12 PM, Es1 said:

I’m not against medication. In my situation, I got sides, but I always recommend you get on meds. You never know unless you try.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

54 minutes ago, Es1 said:

Appreciate the response 

Freitas seems to be an excellent DR… Pinto hasn’t got a consultation available now until June 2023, also excellent.. Couto consultations I’ve been told to ring in January 2023 to arrange consultation for 2024 🙈

2 hours ago, Big Rome said:

Freitas seems to be an excellent DR… Pinto hasn’t got a consultation available now until June 2023, also excellent.. Couto consultations I’ve been told to ring in January 2023 to arrange consultation for 2024 🙈

Couto is saddly highly booked, there is a lot of traffic to get a place scheduled with him. 

Also another thing to point is that prices might be inflating with top doctors, but I know a few months back both Ferreira and Pinto ramped them up way too much which made my final decision a lot much easier in the end. 

I had Ferreira on the number one spot but saddly he started getting way too much traffic and then same happened with Pinto so here I stand with De Freitas booked for the next year.