Third Time Lucky?

Gatsby

On 12/14/2022 at 2:22 AM, Gatsby said:

I saw Dr Bevan Bhoyrul yesterday for an update appointment. He examined my scalp in the donor area and told me that my hair (what's left of it) is not miniaturizing which was good to hear.😊 However I told him that my sex drive over the past 3-4 weeks has diminished since starting the finasteride 0.25mg every day back in mid September.😏 I asked him whether I should drop the 0.25mg of finasteride to every second day? His reply was that it wasn't really worth it. He also stated that in his medical opinion he thinks I may not get 'much' benefit from the finasteride for my donor area at my age. He did write me a script for topical finasteride and stated that from all the patients that he has prescribed the topical version to that only one patient has complained of sexual side effects from it. Dr Bhoyrul also increased my oral finasteride to 5mg and said to watch for side effects such as dizziness, etc. He wants me to taper up to 5mg of minoxidil slowly by taking 2.5mg one day then 5mg the next, etc and to monitor it.

As my surgery is less than 5 weeks away I wonder if I should stay on the oral finateride until the surgery and then post op when my scalp heals I could commence the topical finasteride. Hmmmmmm?🤔 Or do I just dump the finasteride idea altogether for now and try the topical next year after the surgery when the scalp has healed?🧐

That’s a tough one. My logic is: I wouldn’t wanna change anything that can potentially cause a shed before surgery. However, if you’re experiencing side effects, that’s the one scenario where I would reconsider. I’d def reach out to your hair transplant physician on guidance with this one

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 4:46 PM, ciaus said:

Because its the only studied approved drug that actually addresses the root cause of hair loss and we don't all have endless amounts of donor hair and money to throw at hair transplants. 

Best of luck @Gatsby and make sure everything else is in your life is staying dialed in, good diet, sleep, stress management etc. Wish you could back to before you read any of the online stuff about finasteride and approach this with a more relaxed and open perspective. 

This guy is a muppet who can't interpret studies correctly. Also ignores conflicting research on the role of DHT in maturing genitals in adults and role of DHT is erectile function of aged patients. He thinks once you've finished puberty, only testosterone is responsible for penile function and not DHT despite evidence to the contrary.

I don't know why people are cognizant that reducing 5AR will work on hair follicles, reduce the prostate but some how other DHT tissues namely your genitals will magically escape affect on them. Pure cognitive dissonance. 

Watery semen, reduction of penis sensitive, brain fog, less interest in sex and thinner, weaker erections.

Edited by TheManeMan

• 4 months later...
On 5/30/2023 at 2:39 AM, Gatsby said:

Well it's been three months on topical 0.25% topical finasteride and so far so good. 🤞

no sides at all brother?? where you get the topical from at 0.25% ? 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
22 minutes ago, Follicle1984 said:

How's it going Gatsby?

Sadly I got sides from 0.25mg topical fin. I hope you fair better.

So sorry to hear. I've been on topical 0.25% finasteride for three months now everyday and so far no sexual side effects. How long were you on topical finasteride before you started to get side effects?

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

So sorry to hear. I've been on topical 0.25% finasteride for three months now everyday and so far no sexual side effects. How long were you on topical finasteride before you started to get side effects?

Thanks.

Well I've experimented with finasteride on 4 occasions now. The first being mostly low dose topical, starting around 0.1mg every few days and after afew weeks getting up to 0.25mg every day. After afew weeks of feeling invisible I started upping to dose and after about 1 or 2 months I had got up to about 0.5mg most days. This is when things began to go south. ED beginning to develop and also itchy puffy nipples. I dabbled with antiestrogens but no improvement. I ended up continuing and battling on for another 2 months telling myself "this is all just nocebo" (4 months in total) before I quit on that occasion. Afew months later I tried again and stuck to 0.25mg topical every day. I developed the same sides within about 4 to 6 weeks and quit again at 2 months. 

Most recently I tried 1mg orally every day, sides came quicker and I quit at 6 weeks. I'm still struggling with ED after 7 weeks.

I won't ever touch finasteride again in any form, at any dose, at any frequency. And I'm not at all convinced by topical dutasteride after these experiences. 

I may try COSMERNA and I'm hopeful about Kintors future products...just a shame GT20029 is so far off.

On a side note about nocebo, it's hard to beleive it's down to that when you literally stop waking up with morning wood consistently for months on end, and that process slowly reverses when you come off. The literature and scientific studies seem split when it comes to DHT (vs T) and its purpose and role on in Erectile function. 

Edited by Follicle1984
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

There is CosmaRNA and other drugs in phase three trials. Personally I found oral minoxidil to probably give me the best results thus far. 👍

Yes I'm considering ordering some. I'm just not very sure about how the drug isn't going to go systemic...and the studies were so small, I'm not sure they will be sufficiently powdered to pick up side effects which may be significant in a certain percentage. I was considering just waiting 3 to 6 months and waiting for feedback to come out. However I realise the nocebo effect is real and may negatively influence online testimonials. But I guess if the overwhelming number of reports mention systemic antiandrogenic side effects, that would be cause for concern.

I have considered oral minoxidil, annoyingly topical gave me unfortunate oedema under the eyes. To the point people were noticing quite often and pointing it out to me. I'm a bit concerned oral may just do the same. Maybe worth a try though.

Currently reexperimenting with nanoxidil to see if that gives me the oedema or not.

Also I'm trying calecim.

Edited by Follicle1984
  • Like 1