Minoxidil 5mg

HI everybody

I have a few questions about taking oral Minoxidil 5mg.

I've been taking them now for a year now since my transplant from a top surgeon in Brussels.

I want to know if i should have a break from taking them or is it something i should be doing for the of time?

Also, if i dropped down to 3mg would i still get the same affect?

My last question is if there are any health problems i should know about taking Minoxidil?

I appreciate any help anybody can give me.

Many thanks

• Administrators

Why are you trying to drop it? Are you getting side effects?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Gaza,

To be completely honest, I’m not personally convinced that oral minoxidil will do anything for you. However, if you do feel that you are having some benefits from it, then I don’t recommend stopping. If you do stop, any benefits that you are experiencing will disappear within a short period of time.

I think it would help if you provide us with a more detailed explanation as to why you are considering not taking minoxidil anymore whether it be temporary or permanent. If you are experiencing side effects for some reason, then I can understand that.

I look forward to your response.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1978Matt,

I think you may be reading the OP’s post wrong. He is referring to oral minoxidil, not oral finasteride. What you are saying is accurate for oral finasteride but minoxidil taken orally is different.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

5mg a day?  For hairloss it is meant to be 1mg a day so Doctors usually say to cut the tablets into 4 pieces and take roughly 1.25mg a day.

You could then also skip the 5th day and resume again on the 6th, thereby averaging 1mg a day.

Taking 1.25mg every other day will probably be just as effective.

I think your on about finesteride which i also take and i do take 1mg.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Why are you trying to drop it? Are you getting side effects?

No im not having side effects but i want to be sure its safe as i cant find much information on it.

1 minute ago, gazza said:

I think your on about finesteride which i also take and i do take 1mg.

Oh, sorry about that. Yep, I should have read the post properly.

Not familiar with oral minox I'm afraid. 

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Gaza,

To be completely honest, I’m not personally convinced that oral minoxidil will do anything for you. However, if you do feel that you are having some benefits from it, then I don’t recommend stopping. If you do stop, any benefits that you are experiencing will disappear within a short period of time.

I think it would help if you provide us with a more detailed explanation as to why you are considering not taking minoxidil anymore whether it be temporary or permanent. If you are experiencing side effects for some reason, then I can understand that.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Definitely i have seem a massive improvement. When i used to brush my fingers through a lot of my hair fall out, but since taking minoxidil its doesn’t happen and my hair has gotten thicker.

I only ask about dropping the mg because there is an option to go lower and wanted to know if it would make a difference.

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Gaza,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Also, when using the minoxidil i always forgot to use twice a day and hated that it was like using hair gel. I had my hair a bit longer to cover my first bodged HT so i didnt like using it the morning. My second HT i was advised to use the oral form as this and the finestride would be much better.