What would you do if you were me? Thinking of booking hair transplant for next year. Diffuse Thinner. Cannot take Fin or Min.

1 hour ago, Hairtroubles said:

Do you know much about Bicer at all?  So many people telling me not to do it on here, kind of gives me a nervous feeling, not sure why it is like this?  Surely so many people DO NOT take fin and get a HT who are uneducated?

Only you can decide whether it's a good idea for you. Your case is particularly challenging because no medication, diffuse thinning, and fairly progressed stage of hair loss. I think everyone would agree you could get an aesthetic improvement from multiple HT's. But any HT is a risk. You risk spending tens of thousands of dollars on multiple procedures and may only get a marginal improvement. So if your expectations are reasonable and you understand you will need multiple HT's and your donor can handle it and you have the money and you come to the conclusion that it's worth the risks, then go for it. 

But at the end of the day, you need to decide for yourself. 

Always take medication before thinking about undergoing surgery. Any good HT doctor would say that a transplant is your last resort and something to be avoided if possible. 

That being said I can understand where you are coming from, I myself was terrified of initially commiting myself to medications, howeaver reesearch, time and experience taught me that it was the only way to achieve my goals in getting back my hair even if I went the transplant route. 

So after 2 years of medications I am going for a surgery next summer. I think you should at least give a shot to topical minoxidil since its not much bound to side effects but Finasteride is a must for maintenance. Without it you will still receed and like myself you already lost a bit of grount, although I must say that you are in a far better position then myself since I have lost almost everything on the front compared to you. The few hairs that I got left, which are considerable are still thin and not enough to cover the area I need.

My advise without being a doctor is give Finasteride a shot, take it 3 times a week if you feel safer that way or even a lower dosage then see if you are able to at least maintain. You can keep rubbing Minoxidil during this time which will likely boost your gains and possible give back the density you require, also take pictures on the first day of each month just to measure progress.

After 1/2 years you can start planning a transplant with a reputable surgeon if that is what you still need.

If I was in your place I would just accept my condition but not the result of it and would start doing that with the most basic part, which is medication.

Best of luck on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why some people jumped to the conclusion that you should shave your head. Maybe I am missing something. 

Is it possible that you have an amazing donor and you don't know about it? 

I think the best plan to to have a complete mapping/analysis of your hairloss, see what you have in case it progresses, and see what are your plan B/C if progression continues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 1:53 AM, BeHappy said:

If it's really bothering you then go for it. Just be smart about it. Don't go to a hair mill or anyone who tries to give you a low hairline. Opt for a high hairline and do the front half first. Dr Bicer is fine for this as she is cheap, but very good and also usually plans on the front first and then the crown later in cases like yours.

You think Bicer will be good for a diffuse thinner, I looked in the forum and couldn't find too much in the forums?  Any thoughts on this?  I had to take a little break from the forums, just felt myself getting down about the hair, but I am definitely losing hair I think quicker than usual.  Might have to shave it soon... which terrifies me.  Even if I am diffuse thinning, is a hair transplant possible?

On 9/9/2022 at 9:28 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

Only you can decide whether it's a good idea for you. Your case is particularly challenging because no medication, diffuse thinning, and fairly progressed stage of hair loss. I think everyone would agree you could get an aesthetic improvement from multiple HT's. But any HT is a risk. You risk spending tens of thousands of dollars on multiple procedures and may only get a marginal improvement. So if your expectations are reasonable and you understand you will need multiple HT's and your donor can handle it and you have the money and you come to the conclusion that it's worth the risks, then go for it. 

But at the end of the day, you need to decide for yourself. 

Yeah, truly I don't want to be on Fin, i don't know, Im speaking to someone else who is a diffuse thinner and didnt take any medication and went to Raymond Konior.  He said its possible, him and the surgeon.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, TheGreatPretender said:

Always take medication before thinking about undergoing surgery. Any good HT doctor would say that a transplant is your last resort and something to be avoided if possible. 

That being said I can understand where you are coming from, I myself was terrified of initially commiting myself to medications, howeaver reesearch, time and experience taught me that it was the only way to achieve my goals in getting back my hair even if I went the transplant route. 

So after 2 years of medications I am going for a surgery next summer. I think you should at least give a shot to topical minoxidil since its not much bound to side effects but Finasteride is a must for maintenance. Without it you will still receed and like myself you already lost a bit of grount, although I must say that you are in a far better position then myself since I have lost almost everything on the front compared to you. The few hairs that I got left, which are considerable are still thin and not enough to cover the area I need.

My advise without being a doctor is give Finasteride a shot, take it 3 times a week if you feel safer that way or even a lower dosage then see if you are able to at least maintain. You can keep rubbing Minoxidil during this time which will likely boost your gains and possible give back the density you require, also take pictures on the first day of each month just to measure progress.

After 1/2 years you can start planning a transplant with a reputable surgeon if that is what you still need.

If I was in your place I would just accept my condition but not the result of it and would start doing that with the most basic part, which is medication.

Best of luck on it.

I can't, I don't want to be on Fin, I have read too many stories.  I don't want to add Fin into the mix of things I take. genuinely.  I just dont want to take anything that can cause sides.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:21 PM, Prof101 said:

Not sure why some people jumped to the conclusion that you should shave your head. Maybe I am missing something. 

I think the best plan to to have a complete mapping/analysis of your hairloss, see what you have in case it progresses, and see what are your plan B/C if progression continues.

Here, I will attach a pic of my donor I took just right now, its late at night and under lights, so maybe it isn't the best pic to show, but let me know, I think its decent?

1.thumb.jpeg.66827db0ae4a48888b872e7306ae6052.jpeg

As far as I know, the only doc in the US (or one of the very few) who will take time to objectively measure your donor density and miniaturization is Dr. Mohebi in California. Not sure where you are located but I assume US 

If you are in Europe Dr. Mwamba is even more thorough. 

Both will give you an honest opinion about donor density ... which none of us can really

best of luck 

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 10:21 PM, Prof101 said:

Thoughts on my donor area mate?