Transplant on TRT

Everyone responds differently.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The TRT can spike DHT production too but if you're on Finasteride or Dutasteride, it should help mitigate that somewhat. 

Some say that spiked testosterone also can affect hair loss, but nowhere near the level of DHT which is why that's the main one to block. 

Overall though, like anything it's difficult to say. If you need to be on it but also want to preserve hair  then the best you can do is take the relevant products after doing a proper health check and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

Depends on your levels of testosterone. If you use TRT to regain healthy levels that aren’t obscene, and are in need of it (meaning your primary or secondary hypogonadal) then it shouldn’t kill your hair. I’ve had no issues. DHT will of course rise accordingly with Test as it should and of course Estradiol will raise as well. Now if you’re boosting yourself to super high levels using high dosages, yeah your hair is going to fly the hell off lol. I’d rather have healthy levels of T then be a hypogonadal low T mutant, but healthy levels not body builder gear head levels.  

I still think the most important thing is someone’s sensitivity to androgens, particularly on the scalp. If your receptors are extremely sensitive, and you have the bad genetic code for AGA, you’re going to lose hair regardless of your level and regardless if you’re on TRT or not. 

FYI I became hypogonadal as a persistent side effect of Finasteride (oral). TRT has been incredible and my hair has been holding up really well. I am still in the process of considering topical meso dut (which I’m waiting on delivery) or a low dose of topical fin (.0025 - .0005) or even low dose classic dut as per the studies showing solid efficacy with quite low systemic release, but I will never take an oral prescription 5AR for the rest of my life. 

On top of ALL of this, I still believe the most critical thing for follicular health is vascular blood supply. I saw a study the other day that a ton of men with AGA were found to have poorer blood supply to the scalp. The problem with DHT and androgens is it creates a viscous cycle of inflammatory damage in some men sensitive to them which causes loss of of critical blood supply to the follicle which delivers oxygen and nutrients and then you get miniaturization. It’s a vicious cycle which unfortunately gives the end result of baldness. I like the idea of making the scalp androgen receptors down regulated or even resistant to androgens although I’m not sure of what the negative effect (to the scalp) would be. Systemically to a man it would be quite bad. 

Edited by sunsurfhair

1 hour ago, sunsurfhair said:

Depends on your levels of testosterone. If you use TRT to regain healthy levels that aren’t obscene, and are in need of it (meaning your primary or secondary hypogonadal) then it shouldn’t kill your hair. I’ve had no issues. DHT will of course rise accordingly with Test as it should and of course Estradiol will raise as well. Now if you’re boosting yourself to super high levels using high dosages, yeah your hair is going to fly the hell off lol. I’d rather have healthy levels of T then be a hypogonadal low T mutant, but healthy levels not body builder gear head levels.  

I still think the most important thing is someone’s sensitivity to androgens, particularly on the scalp. If your receptors are extremely sensitive, and you have the bad genetic code for AGA, you’re going to lose hair regardless of your level and regardless if you’re on TRT or not. 

FYI I became hypogonadal as a persistent side effect of Finasteride (oral). TRT has been incredible and my hair has been holding up really well. I am still in the process of considering topical meso dut (which I’m waiting on delivery) or a low dose of topical fin (.0025 - .0005) or even low dose classic dut as per the studies showing solid efficacy with quite low systemic release, but I will never take an oral prescription 5AR for the rest of my life. 

On top of ALL of this, I still believe the most critical thing for follicular health is vascular blood supply. I saw a study the other day that a ton of men with AGA were found to have poorer blood supply to the scalp. The problem with DHT and androgens is it creates a viscous cycle of inflammatory damage in some men sensitive to them which causes loss of of critical blood supply to the follicle which delivers oxygen and nutrients and then you get miniaturization. It’s a vicious cycle which unfortunately gives the end result of baldness. I like the idea of making the scalp androgen receptors down regulated or even resistant to androgens although I’m not sure of what the negative effect (to the scalp) would be. Systemically to a man it would be quite bad. 

Finasteride made your test levels drop? Is that a documented side effect? I guess it does make sense that your body would produce less testosterone since your test levels would in theory be elevated as a result of it not being converted to DHT... But is that actually what happens? And is that really enough to make you hypogonadal?

15 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

Finasteride made your test levels drop? Is that a documented side effect? I guess it does make sense that your body would produce less testosterone since your test levels would in theory be elevated as a result of it not being converted to DHT... But is that actually what happens? And is that really enough to make you hypogonadal?

I know about 6 guys including 2 I talked to on the forum whose test levels got crushed from Finasteride, so yes sadly. I posted about it on another thread. Thankfully, a lot of them have gotten better with HRT / TRT. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150612131630.htm

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29224108/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32202088/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S235228951930061X