Length after transplant

Hello, just curious about hair length after a transplant. I have always favored long, shoulder length hair. If I get a transplant, will the transplanted hair be able to grow out like this? is there a length cap to transplanted hair?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience

Hair should grow as long as your native hair, however an issue that i see is potentially like at a shorter length, how the effect is more see through, that might also happen at longer lengths unless you have a high enough density for it to keep that illusion at all lengths.

• Like 1

Haven't seen anyone have issues with longer hair.  Even women get hair transplants that tend to keep their hair long.

Best of luck. :) Longer hair is meant to make a transplant look more dense also.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Haven't seen anyone have issues with longer hair.  Even women get hair transplants that tend to keep their hair long.

Best of luck. :) Longer hair is meant to make a transplant look more dense also.

One comment i will say regarding women is that generally they have thicker hair than men. Not all, but on average. Plus, they tend to usually get a HT to address a higher hairline or similar so the doctors tend to really dense pack in front of the native hair a new hairline, so those factors usually combine together to make them much better candidates to grow it out longer than say your average man getting a HT where its usually more progressive. 

The disadvantage for thicker haired people usually are they may struggle to get the more feathered look for the frontal hairline and temples. 

• Like 1

Just now, NARMAK said:

One comment i will say regarding women is that generally they have thicker hair than men. Not all, but on average. Plus, they tend to usually get a HT to address a higher hairline or similar so the doctors tend to really dense pack in front of the native hair a new hairline, so those factors usually combine together to make them much better candidates to grow it out longer than say your average man getting a HT where its usually more progressive. 

The disadvantage for thicker haired people usually are they may struggle to get the more feathered look for the frontal hairline and temples. 

Absolutely, great point!

Lighting is also a huge factor.  Here's an example in natural light vs harsh light;
image.png.706c593dbf3077160e8f607c21b08cfb.pngimage.png.d1b2c0ecf19876f2690d67d2c6189b9c.png

6 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Absolutely, great point!

Lighting is also a huge factor.  Here's an example in natural light vs harsh light;
image.png.706c593dbf3077160e8f607c21b08cfb.pngimage.png.d1b2c0ecf19876f2690d67d2c6189b9c.png

That's definitely one of my fears even at the 12 months mark that the illusion gets broken for you but maybe unlimited grafts are only 5 (50?) years away right? :D

I am hoping that my hair loss has slowed down with me being on Dutasteride as much as possible and that i could possibly afford to go for another HT to add density down the line and further refine the hairline. Rarely do we get a one and done imo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeanToman said:

Absolutely, great point!

This doesn’t even look like the same hairline. This is a fear of mine too. How could you possibly rock the second hairline style and be fully confident in it?

Wolfy,

You can grow your transplanted hair as long or wear it as short as you want.  Essentially, transplanted hair is exactly the same as natural hair. It’s just moved from one location of your scalp to the other.   For example, I have had four hair transplant procedures and just shy of 10,000 grafts on top of my otherwise Norwood 5a/6 scalp.   And I am currently wearing my hair long pretty much down to my shoulders or a little longer. I don’t know if I will keep growing it or eventually cut it but I typically wear my hair up in a man bun or ponytail and can wear it pretty much however I want. I’ve also worn it very short, somewhere between a half an inch to an inch long and for the most part, my hair looks very full looking with only some mild thinning in the crown.

So long story short, you ultimately want to find a hairstyle that you feel suits you best. But there are no limits in terms of how long you can grow it as it has the same potential to  grow exactly as long as your non-transplanted hair.

I hope this helps

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

As mentioned above, I think many of us find a "sweet spot" or two when it comes to the length that works best for us, but it will vary from person to person. There's no reason you won't be able to grow your hair out as long as you want - and there's definitely no cap on it!

If ya need an example, @voxman is the resident poster child for sporting a longer hair transplant style around here... So check him out if ya need some inspiration! 😎

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

2 hours ago, general-etwan said:

This doesn’t even look like the same hairline. This is a fear of mine too. How could you possibly rock the second hairline style and be fully confident in it?

100% right, I think this is why others insist that a hair transplant is the 'illusion' of more hair.
(12 months next week)

I've attached some other different lighting situations to help give you an idea under different circumstances;

(At Window)
image.png.38c4b9c76315e4aee041fb57d04ac1a2.png

(House lit room - night)
image.png.f8331d9c9c659f946f53439e599a3b4f.png

(Room with natural lighting - day)
image.png.763dee0d903421d59473181afa640dac.png

(Car lighting - day)
image.png.d56a7f3e64b607fef45a47d58f4c3120.png

(Ideal lighting - dimmer indoor room)
image.png.837ca2de1a615a8bedfef4dae6e15f1a.png

(Outdoor lighting - day)
image.png.c56fc98361da23bdea546b9d5008f1bc.png

(Under heavy bathroom lighting at a resturant)
image.png.d2cb3284ac95f204a47281eba3528a1e.png

It could be covered up with a fringe which is why a lot of people who have had transplants prefer longer lengths.
image.png.f7c2908cd89cb9d57a89c661e630f79e.png

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 1

The thing with lighting playing a factor in how a hair transplant looks is that it can really be applied to any physical trait - not just hair/hair transplants. So while yes, a hair transplant is about the "illusion of density", and it will look better or worse in certain conditions, the same thing can be said for our skin, eyes, etc.

I think we're so used to seeing images of people in magazines, movies, and even our every day friends on social media where we are all using optimal lighting to make ourselves look the best we can, that we forget that none of us walk around the world properly lit from every direction at all times to make us look our best. Believe me, I wish that was the case - but it's not reality. ;) 

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

4 minutes ago, pkipling said:

The thing with lighting playing a factor in how a hair transplant looks is that it can really be applied to any physical trait - not just hair/hair transplants. So while yes, a hair transplant is about the "illusion of density", and it will look better or worse in certain conditions, the same thing can be said for our skin, eyes, etc.

I think we're so used to seeing images of people in magazines, movies, and even our every day friends on social media where we are all using optimal lighting to make ourselves look the best we can, that we forget that none of us walk around the world properly lit from every direction at all times to make us look our best. Believe me, I wish that was the case - but it's not reality. ;) 

Absolutely, a transplant 99% of the time will be a lot better than what you used to have prior.

We just push for perfection too much.

1 hour ago, SeanToman said:

100% right, I think this is why others insist that a hair transplant is the 'illusion' of more hair.
(12 months next week)

I've attached some other different lighting situations to help give you an idea under different circumstances;

(At Window)
image.png.38c4b9c76315e4aee041fb57d04ac1a2.png

(House lit room - night)
image.png.f8331d9c9c659f946f53439e599a3b4f.png

(Room with natural lighting - day)
image.png.763dee0d903421d59473181afa640dac.png

(Car lighting - day)
image.png.d56a7f3e64b607fef45a47d58f4c3120.png

(Ideal lighting - dimmer indoor room)
image.png.837ca2de1a615a8bedfef4dae6e15f1a.png

(Outdoor lighting - day)
image.png.c56fc98361da23bdea546b9d5008f1bc.png

(Under heavy bathroom lighting at a resturant)
image.png.d2cb3284ac95f204a47281eba3528a1e.png

It could be covered up with a fringe which is why a lot of people who have had transplants prefer longer lengths.
image.png.f7c2908cd89cb9d57a89c661e630f79e.png

Thanks for sharing those! Yeah, I mean the last pic is fantastic. Wouldn’t ever be able to tell anything was done. I guess part of the game is just covering up the hairline slightly. Combing it sort of straight up and back will look the worst.

Edited by general-etwan
  • Thanks 1

The reality is that lighting plays a role in how good hair looks - transplanted or not.  And obviously the more lighting situations your hair looks good in the better.  If you really examined your hair in the above bathroom lighting conditions even w/out a transplant and good hair, you'd notice imperfections too.  Factors such as graft angling and skin/hair contrast impact the "illusion" of density, while caliber of hair and how densely packed it is aren't really illusions at all.  IMO, average outdoor day lighting (perhaps even with some amount of direct sunlight added) is about the most honest way to present a transplant and posters here who don't show their transplants in those conditions aren't being fully transparent.  

Separately, yes, your hair can grow out to any length you wish.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:58 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Wolfy,

You can grow your transplanted hair as long or wear it as short as you want.  Essentially, transplanted hair is exactly the same as natural hair. It’s just moved from one location of your scalp to the other.   For example, I have had four hair transplant procedures and just shy of 10,000 grafts on top of my otherwise Norwood 5a/6 scalp.   And I am currently wearing my hair long pretty much down to my shoulders or a little longer. I don’t know if I will keep growing it or eventually cut it but I typically wear my hair up in a man bun or ponytail and can wear it pretty much however I want. I’ve also worn it very short, somewhere between a half an inch to an inch long and for the most part, my hair looks very full looking with only some mild thinning in the crown.

So long story short, you ultimately want to find a hairstyle that you feel suits you best. But there are no limits in terms of how long you can grow it as it has the same potential to  grow exactly as long as your non-transplanted hair.

I hope this helps

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks for sharing. 

any chance you have a thread or some pics to share? Sounds like you’ve had quite the hair restoration journey.