Pyrilutmide Phase 2 Results are in - Any hot takes?

BurnieBurns

• Administrators

Dr. Oscar Munoz seems to believe it will be not as good as everyone believes. He believes orally it’ll be worst than dutasteride side effects wise. But he suspects topically it may not be as effective.

First question 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

37 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dr. Oscar Munoz seems to believe it will be not as good as everyone believes. He believes orally it’ll be worst than dutasteride side effects wise. But he suspects topically it may not be as effective.

First question 

Yes taking it orally would be crazy. It is an anti-androgen with very strong binding affinity. I think even if it should topically be less effective than the by-far-best-treatment-ever (Dutasteride) it is still a good treatment to stack on 5aris with as it seems little side effects topically. Everything that helps is great I believe, more options. Maybe even great for patients like you who don't tolerate 5aris?

• Like 1

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, davidn said:

Yes taking it orally would be crazy. It is an anti-androgen with very strong binding affinity. I think even if it should topically be less effective than the by-far-best-treatment-ever (Dutasteride) it is still a good treatment to stack on 5aris with as it seems little side effects topically. Everything that helps is great I believe, more options. Maybe even great for patients like you who don't tolerate 5aris?

The question is will it be as effective as topical finasteride? Because there’s enough evidence that shows topical fin and dut is effective almost as effective as the oral with low sides.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

He says: "probably" and I "suspect" the efficacy of pyrlutamide applied topically will be low, and lower than oral dutasteride but doesn't go off any data at all, or reason for why its lower. I suspect you did this interview before the data was released? @Melvin- Moderator There really isn't any take-away from what he says there. 

The P2 results imo are great, the 5mg BID group saw a similar hair per cm2 increase as oral finasteride and with a relatively low level of metabolite and report of side effects. It sort of seems to be on par with RU going off the study done on masques where they observed a much greater hair count increase than finasteride and only 2 monkeys detected a very low trace of the metabolite in their body, granted this doesn't directly translate 1:1 with humans, but it is our best model of comparison in the case of AGA. 

For me personally, I see this as a potential to cut my finasteride dosage slightly and apply pyr once a day or twice if I can possibly figure out how I'd do that, and feel like I'm attacking both angles. Pretty positive stuff so far will be interested to see the P3 results and hopefully they're done over a year. 

I get the mentallity to not want to 'over-hype' new treatments. Fact is that so far it we have the most promising actual data for any new treatment in a long time.

No one can deny that Fin/Dut topically and orally are the gold standard. Going well it could be second best option for those who are unable to tolerate even topical version, (even the Xyon ones appears to give some outliers side effects). Also would be great for those who have severe AGA genes, losing losing ground on 5AR but don't want to take oral minoxidil.

Edited by BurnieBurns