Hairstyle options and texture

Hi,

I am just beginning my research on getting a HT, and wonder about about how you can style your hair afterwards.

I think I am norwood 3, soft blonde with a thin hair calibre. I have a receding hairline since a young age but my hair was quite full until I was 21(now I am 33 with widow peaks). My hair was quite a prominent feature of mine and to be honest I miss it so I am contemplating a HT, but almost every HT I see ends up with the same hairstyle(quite short, pulled back) and the hair texture does not seem really natural, it is more dry/frizzy.

If I were to get a HT, I wish I could grow it longer and style it how I want without needing products to manage it or using a blow dryer every time I get out of the house.

I wonder if it is simply a small sample size that I saw about the texture of the transplanted hair(I know it takes time to mature) and whether there is a reason why a lot of the guys are going for the same hair style and not flaunting a longer hair :)

To put it more simple, is it possible to keep a the transplanted hair similar in texture to the original hair(soft, quite straight) without using products/blow dryer and is it possible to rock a messy longer hair style?

Don't know where you've seen hair transplant results until now, but we have forum sections dedicated to clinics and patients posting surgery results linked below. Eventually the hair will look like it did when it was in the original spot on your head, which can take up to 12-18 months. Alot of the time, even here, you're limited to pictures in the immediate months after the surgery when all the hairs haven't come in yet and fully matured. Guys tend to stop posting after enough of it comes in, getting on with their life. But some guys do continue to post updates into the later months, even beyond the year mark. Maybe some other members can link a few. 

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/15-hair-restoration-results-posted-by-patients/

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/17-results-posted-by-leading-hair-restoration-clinics/

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/24-hair-transplant-experiences-and-surgeon-reviews

• Like 1

You can pretty much style it what ever way you please, assuming you achieve the right density.

Another thing to be cautious about is that some clinics transplant the follicles in a different direction than the rest.
For instance; my hair transplant grafts point at an upwards angle, causing it to be a bit more difficult to have a fringe.  But also it takes little to no product to style it upwards due to this.

Edited by SeanToman

Hair texture keeps improving over the months.  My texture sucked at 6 months, now feels great at almost 1 year.

Reason lots of people slick their hair back for photos is to show how good the hairline turned out.  If hair is not back, there is no way to tell if it was good work or not.

Check out my journey here:

thank you all!

so from what I understand there's nothing preventing someone from choosing whatever hairstyle they like as long as it is in line with the procedure and the hair matures to its natural texture after a while.

I guess I should also ask this and mention what hairstyle I'm interested in when consulting with doctors(currently, from what I read dr. Bisanga might be best suited for me).

@Fue3361 wow, amazing results, so happy for you!

On 8/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, james blonde said:

thank you all!

so from what I understand there's nothing preventing someone from choosing whatever hairstyle they like as long as it is in line with the procedure and the hair matures to its natural texture after a while.

I guess I should also ask this and mention what hairstyle I'm interested in when consulting with doctors(currently, from what I read dr. Bisanga might be best suited for me).

@Fue3361 wow, amazing results, so happy for you!

Thank you :)

Check out my journey here:

Personally i feel like if the clinic did a good job on the density and more importantly on getting the correct angles for your hair transplant, then they should be able to style exactly as your native hair would. 

A lot of people actually imo overlook the importance of using the correct styling products for your hair type, texture and also that includes a proper hair dryer. It makes a big difference. 

I would also argue hair when styled a specific way develops a sort of "memory" and naturally starts to fall that way making it easier over time too. 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:53 AM, NARMAK said:

Personally i feel like if the clinic did a good job on the density and more importantly on getting the correct angles for your hair transplant, then they should be able to style exactly as your native hair would. 

A lot of people actually imo overlook the importance of using the correct styling products for your hair type, texture and also that includes a proper hair dryer. It makes a big difference. 

I would also argue hair when styled a specific way develops a sort of "memory" and naturally starts to fall that way making it easier over time too. 

the thins is that i would like to stay away from being dependent on products and hair dryer to style my hair. so far it seems to me like the texture is so frizzy that people have to use products and hair dryer.

38 minutes ago, james blonde said:

the thins is that i would like to stay away from being dependent on products and hair dryer to style my hair. so far it seems to me like the texture is so frizzy that people have to use products and hair dryer.

You can definitely stay away from products or even a hair dryer, but i'm going to be honest. In order to get the absolute creme de la creme stylish looking hair, you ABSOLUTELY need the right products. That can include shampoos, conditioners and even some other products for your specific hair type. Having a hair dryer like say an ionic based version also means you can really enhance your styling options. 

I would say for men, we just seem to dry our hair naturally or with a towel, slap some gel or not and comb with a brush or hands a certain way and go, but longer hairstyles in particular imo deserve to be properly cared for. 

You spent so much money whether it's Finasteride etc. or getting a hair transplant, it makes absolutely ZERO sense not to invest in correct hair care and styling products to take your hair to the next level. 

I feel like it's almost doing a disservice to yourself. There's a reason male model pictures etc. are so lauded as an aspirational goal for style, looks etc. and their perfectly done hair involves proper use of styling. 

I don't know about you, but when you see that sort of well groomed hairstyle, it looks a million dollars compared to everybody else. 

I think how you style your hair and the products you use depends more on each individual's situation and particular hair type/quality than it does with whether or not they had a hair transplant. My hair is super straight and on the finer side, and styling it was just as much of a challenge before my hair loss as it is now with my hairline restored. I tend to have about 1 good hair day out of every 5, as I've always been challenged in that department. Lol. The only difference is that now I don't have to put focus on disguising my receding hairline. 

Also, I need different products depending on how short my hair is, so that's also something to consider for yourself. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56