Aussie looking to travel overseas for HT

Hey everyone, I'm a 24 year old male from Australia interested in getting a HT done, I've been on Minoxidil and Finasteride for about two years now and while I've seen definite improvement, there's still more room for it.

I know getting the procedure done in Australia is nowhere near the quality as it would be travelling overseas, not to mention the price, so that's what I'm willing to do, but I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed seeing all the recommended options from India to Turkey to Belgium. I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of guidance, money isn't a huge issue but I wouldn't want to be spending more than 10k and even that's a stretch, maybe I'm too optimistic. I've attatched a photo of how my hair currently looks so you can get a gauge on my NW scale and how many grafts you may think I need (I believe my donor area is quite strong also).

Thanks everyone! 😊

IMG_6958[1].JPG

• Administrators

With that budget you’ll have to go to Thailand or India, but that wouldn’t include flights. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

With that budget you’ll have to go to Thailand or India, but that wouldn’t include flights. 

From what I've read the quality is still high in those countries, specifically India, correct? 

11 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

10k including travel/accommodations/food etc., or 10k on the surgery?

From the looks of the replies in here, maybe my 10k estimate was a little naive, I have the money to extend my budget a bit further, that was just a rough number.

Any idea of what number I'd be looking at including everything?

8 hours ago, Kixinit said:

Thailand doctors do a high quality of work though right?

This is where a massive misconception comes in, most clinics everywhere are poor quality. Turkey is known in the public eye for having high quality of work when in actuality its the most dangerous country to get a HT due to how risky it is and has the most hair mills out of all countries. Just because Spain has some good doctors doesn't mean that its "the place to go to get your hair back" its more like "this place has some of the best choices to go and get your hair back"

Same applies to India, There are plenty of poor doctors in India, but India also has Eugenix which is one of the better options.

18 minutes ago, aussietbk said:

Any idea of what number I'd be looking at including everything?

They charge per graft, first you should consult with the doctors that you are interested in. Get cost per graft, and how many grafts you are going to need. Then convert to AUD if needed.

Since you are a advanced case, you are going to need to spend more money. If they charge per graft, and you are a higher norwood you are going to need more grafts. More Balding = More Grafts. More Grafts = More Money

16 hours ago, aussietbk said:

I've attatched a photo of how my hair currently looks so you can get a gauge on my NW scale and how many grafts you may think I need (I believe my donor area is quite strong also).

I would say you are a Norwood 5 and you would probably need around 6500-8000 grafts if you maintain your existing hair and strengthen it with medication. You should get on Finasteride/Minoxidil if you haven't. You should share some photos of your donor to get a good idea of what we are looking at. For example do you have Retrograde Alopecia? Is your hair fine/medium/coarse? How much does your crown dip? Any signs of thinning into a further pattern? These will all factor in how many grafts you can get out of your donor, how many grafts you will need, etc.

If you do FUE, you will probably need two-three procedures to get something really strong in your current state. If you do FUT and you go to someone that has mastered that craft like Hattingen. You could probably get away with one procedure.

I think you would fair well at Bisanga in Belgium for your case.

I can't answer your questions too accurately cause I have only one photo to go off. But based in this one photo you have good skin/hair colour contrast (this will help with your result) and you are currently around a Norwood 5. If you could provide a photo of your crown and your donor from the back + side (specifically so we can see above your ears) then we can tell what type of situation you are in.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Hi @aussietbk …. Putting aside whether you should have the procedure at your age and current hair loss situation as that’s a different discussion, and your decision to make, have you researched Dr Laorwong in Bangkok? I’m an Aussie who had my procedure with him in January this year and have been extremely happy with my results. I believe he’s a quality surgeon. He has some great results and is recommended on this forum.

Flights to Bangkok on one of the low cost airlines (Jetstar, Virgin) can be as little as $700/800 return from Australia. Accommodation in Bangkok is cheap. So depending on how many grafts you need, your transplant could possibly cost you below $10K Australian with a quality surgeon.

Dr Path in Thailand is also highly regarded, so he’s another one you may consider.

Hope this helps mate.

• Like 1

Greetings of the day @aussietbk,

Age seems to be a factor in your case as Male patterned baldness is more progressive in 20-30s. It is good that you were taking Fin. & Min. for the past two years. 

More pictures of your scalp will help to evaluate what kind of hairs you have plus to know the exact NW grade, specially your donor area as you mentioned it's quite good. I can arrange a one-to-one session with the doctor and  If you want to know about the cost and other factors like accommodations' you can send me personalized message and I will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Eugenix Hair Science. 

• Like 1

Hello @aussietbk,

If you are willing to travel to India, then Eugenix is very renowned for their impeccable job. 

Plus you will not need to spend on Accommodation and drop off and pick-up as I guess it will be provided by them. I've seen the journey of @Gatsbyclosely and it is absolutely amazing plus there are other Australian mates coming to Eugenix at regular interval of time. 

If you're thinking Thailand or Geography is not a concern to you then Freitas, Bisanga, are good options. Do you research and then select a surgeon according to your need. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, mister_25 said:

This is where a massive misconception comes in, most clinics everywhere are poor quality. Turkey is known in the public eye for having high quality of work when in actuality its the most dangerous country to get a HT due to how risky it is and has the most hair mills out of all countries. Just because Spain has some good doctors doesn't mean that its "the place to go to get your hair back" its more like "this place has some of the best choices to go and get your hair back"

Same applies to India, There are plenty of poor doctors in India, but India also has Eugenix which is one of the better options.

They charge per graft, first you should consult with the doctors that you are interested in. Get cost per graft, and how many grafts you are going to need. Then convert to AUD if needed.

Since you are a advanced case, you are going to need to spend more money. If they charge per graft, and you are a higher norwood you are going to need more grafts. More Balding = More Grafts. More Grafts = More Money

I would say you are a Norwood 5 and you would probably need around 6500-8000 grafts if you maintain your existing hair and strengthen it with medication. You should get on Finasteride/Minoxidil if you haven't. You should share some photos of your donor to get a good idea of what we are looking at. For example do you have Retrograde Alopecia? Is your hair fine/medium/coarse? How much does your crown dip? Any signs of thinning into a further pattern? These will all factor in how many grafts you can get out of your donor, how many grafts you will need, etc.

If you do FUE, you will probably need two-three procedures to get something really strong in your current state. If you do FUT and you go to someone that has mastered that craft like Hattingen. You could probably get away with one procedure.

I think you would fair well at Bisanga in Belgium for your case.

I can't answer your questions too accurately cause I have only one photo to go off. But based in this one photo you have good skin/hair colour contrast (this will help with your result) and you are currently around a Norwood 5. If you could provide a photo of your crown and your donor from the back + side (specifically so we can see above your ears) then we can tell what type of situation you are in.

Thankyou for your very detailed reply, I really do appreciate it.

I must say I wasn't expecting anywhere near that amount of grafts but I know that was only off the one photo, so I've taken a few more as you've requested, keep in mind these were taken in extremely harsh lighting (also that dead bit of hair on the back of my head I've always had)

tbhumbnail.jpg

thumbbnail.jpg

thumbnabil.jpg

thumbnnail.jpg

thumvbnail.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Greetings of the day @aussietbk,

Age seems to be a factor in your case as Male patterned baldness is more progressive in 20-30s. It is good that you were taking Fin. & Min. for the past two years. 

More pictures of your scalp will help to evaluate what kind of hairs you have plus to know the exact NW grade, specially your donor area as you mentioned it's quite good. I can arrange a one-to-one session with the doctor and  If you want to know about the cost and other factors like accommodations' you can send me personalized message and I will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Eugenix Hair Science. 

Hello, thanks for your reply

I've uploaded a few more photos in my message above this if you wanted to have a look, I'd love a one on one doctor session as well as more information about cost etc, hopefully the photos help with the latter, feel free to DM me :)

Hello sir,

First of all, you have to be very careful because of your donor area. I roughly draw the regions where the grafts can be taken. It may not be possible to get very high numbers. With a relatively thin PUNCH, the max graft should be taken at the FUE stage. (4000 grafts and around)

The main plan is to create a natural hairline. Because the most important factor that changes you when you look in the mirror is a dense and natural hairline, afterwards, your existing hair should be tightened, especially Crown.

If the number of grafts is insufficient for crown tightening, it should also be taken from the beard area.

Dr.Kuddusi ONAY

thumvbnail.thumb.jpg.b19cd11ba43d2b04b9068e1ec188d938.jpeg

tbhumbnail.thumb.jpg.7327bee66825d925c85784d4444f2f22.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 2:09 AM, Hristo13 said:

Hi @aussietbk …. Putting aside whether you should have the procedure at your age and current hair loss situation as that’s a different discussion, and your decision to make, have you researched Dr Laorwong in Bangkok? I’m an Aussie who had my procedure with him in January this year and have been extremely happy with my results. I believe he’s a quality surgeon. He has some great results and is recommended on this forum.

Flights to Bangkok on one of the low cost airlines (Jetstar, Virgin) can be as little as $700/800 return from Australia. Accommodation in Bangkok is cheap. So depending on how many grafts you need, your transplant could possibly cost you below $10K Australian with a quality surgeon.

Dr Path in Thailand is also highly regarded, so he’s another one you may consider.

Hope this helps mate.

When u say quality do u mean that he is  not  quite a top surgeon but very good and how does he compare to path? How’d ur ht go and would u recommend him?

On 8/11/2022 at 4:21 AM, DHT said:

Hello @aussietbk,

If you are willing to travel to India, then Eugenix is very renowned for their impeccable job. 

Plus you will not need to spend on Accommodation and drop off and pick-up as I guess it will be provided by them. I've seen the journey of @Gatsbyclosely and it is absolutely amazing plus there are other Australian mates coming to Eugenix at regular interval of time. 

If you're thinking Thailand or Geography is not a concern to you then Freitas, Bisanga, are good options. Do you research and then select a surgeon according to your need. 

Do path or laorwong comapre or come close to Bisanga or freitas 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:25 AM, Iceee222 said:

Do path or laorwong comapre or come close to Bisanga or freitas 

According to me Path or Laorwong is not even nearby to Freitas and Bisanga. You can refer to the coalition surgeons list on this forum and take a decision. 
One more opinion of mine will be, If you are willing to travel to India then contact Eugenix or contact Bisanga, Ozgur, or Frietas. 

10 hours ago, DHT said:

According to me Path or Laorwong is not even nearby to Freitas and Bisanga. You can refer to the coalition surgeons list on this forum and take a decision. 
One more opinion of mine will be, If you are willing to travel to India then contact Eugenix or contact Bisanga, Ozgur, or Frietas. 

Interesting OK thanks everyone has their own opinion but I have heard great things and that path laorwong are close to the people you mentioned and they’re well respected.

Eugenix scares me because if u don’t do highest package you get a unknown  surgeon and techs do a lot of the work. Sethi only does special cases now.  

How do you think Pekiner  stacks up with the EU docs?

On 9/30/2022 at 12:37 AM, Iceee222 said:

Interesting OK thanks everyone has their own opinion but I have heard great things and that path laorwong are close to the people you mentioned and they’re well respected.

Eugenix scares me because if u don’t do highest package you get a unknown  surgeon and techs do a lot of the work. Sethi only does special cases now.  

How do you think Pekiner  stacks up with the EU docs?

Pekiner is indeed a good surgeon, if you see his his history i think he was working under the Turkish army till early 2010. 
Just consult everyone and go with one whom you thinks has the more clearer vision and answers to your needs. Eugenix exclusive and premium package is something I can bet on, don't worry you will get almost the same results in exclusive and premium.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DHT said:

Pekiner is indeed a good surgeon, if you see his his history i think he was working under the Turkish army till early 2010. 
Just consult everyone and go with one whom you thinks has the more clearer vision and answers to your needs. Eugenix exclusive and premium package is something I can bet on, don't worry you will get almost the same results in exclusive and premium.  

Curious to hear more about this Eugenix. Are there techs that good or are there other docs that good as well? People usually say avoid techs doing most the work. Do they have docs perform the surgery in those other packages?

17 hours ago, Iceee222 said:

Curious to hear more about this Eugenix. Are there techs that good or are there other docs that good as well? People usually say avoid techs doing most the work. Do they have docs perform the surgery in those other packages?

It is an irrefutable fact that a quality surgeon is needed because we are trusting our heads to these doctors. Hair transplant is more of a emotional process as compared to needed process. We all has to understand this that the role of a technicians are really really vital in a surgery. Why do many people think that it's better if a doctor performs the whole surgery, will the surgeon won't feel fatigue or tired? Few thousands grafts are not a easy job to extract and implant, there are some surgeons who does this but have a look at their price and waiting list? Is it worth? In my opinion a big no. I have seen Eugenix closely and majority of the technicians working their are from Dr. Sethi's home town and he is like a father figure to them. I have visited Eugenix multiple times and seen the techs remains exactly the same which is not the case with majority of the clinics as they keep on changing because they get better growth and employment options somewhere else. 

Now coming to the technicians, When I spoke with Eugenix in the past time, they've mentioned that every tech knows what exactly he is doing, they are switching their responsibilities. Some are permanent implanters, some are loaders, some only does extraction. If one practices this for 5-10 years, we can come to the conclusion that he or she must be perfect in their work. 

The Technicians are the main triumph cards behind Eugenix ability to deliver constant great results.