How long does redness usually last? Can it be permanent?

How long did redness last for you after your transplant?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

It can last 6+ months, depending on the fairness of your skin, it can last longer. It’s not permanent. There’s a member @hybonix very fair skinned, check out his thread. It’s not forever.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

BaldV,

Great poll but the problem is that the answer really varies from patient patient. While many hair transplant patients may only experience postoperative redness for a couple weeks to a month or so. Some may not experience any at all. On the other hand, there are some who might experience inflammation for over six months and it might even take a prescription solution to eliminate or eradicate it.

I also want to add that postoperative redness or inflammation should not be permanent although in very rare instances, some mild discoloration can occur and last very long time. Any discoloration like this would be hardly noticeable and would likely dissipate slowly over time.  

So I’m assuming you’ve created this pole because you are experiencing some postoperative redness and or inflammation?  If you tell us more about your experience and share some photos, I’m sure we can provide a more detailed opinion for your specific case.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I don't know, I've had certain levels of redness and it's been years since my last HT. Going to check in with a doctor about it. I do have sensitive and fair skin. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

5 minutes ago, mavigo said:

I don't know, I've had certain levels of redness and it's been years since my last HT. Going to check in with a doctor about it. I do have sensitive and fair skin. 

Really interesting, keep us updated please, how long has it been since your HT? Did you have lingering redness since your previous hair transplants too or since the last one?

30 minutes ago, BaldV said:

Really interesting, keep us updated please, how long has it been since your HT? Did you have lingering redness since your previous hair transplants too or since the last one?

3 years. The transplanted area itches from time to time. I've only had one so far but will have another next year. So we shall see. 

• Sad 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

strange, it would be great to give us an update once you figure it out

On 8/10/2022 at 12:20 AM, mavigo said:

3 years. The transplanted area itches from time to time. I've only had one so far but will have another next year. So we shall see. 

9 minutes ago, BaldV said:

first time I hear this, have you tried?

I personally got PRP after the first month and my redness was away by the second.  But to be fair it could also be related to age.  I'm 26.

7 hours ago, Bb111 said:

I'm only a month out so can't really answer the poll at this time. The erythema is starting to fade for me. I'll try to come back and answer the poll when it completely fades.

Yes that would help

On 8/9/2022 at 6:44 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

It can last 6+ months, depending on the fairness of your skin, it can last longer. It’s not permanent. There’s a member @hybonix very fair skinned, check out his thread. It’s not forever.

How much time did it take to go away in your last ht Melvin?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, BaldV said:

How much time did it take to go away in your last ht Melvin?

I have an olive skin complexion. My scalp never got red tbh. It depends on how fair your skin is, if you’re a redhead or really blonde, it can take months.8960D288-5F70-4574-97D0-6A254672CDC3.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.