Dr. Steven Paul Holt, Grand Rapids, MI 1400 grafts FUT - bad outcome

mavigo

24 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I haven't read every word you wrote but it seems like you are still trying to get a sense of closure from Dr. Holt and maybe trying to still come to terms of why and how he did gave you a poor result. 

I would "simply" chalk it up to going to a no-name doctor who uses an ARTAS machine to boot. The explanation of why you got a bad result is pretty clear to me. 

This is not like a mystery of the universe why you got a bad result. 

Hope you find a sense of closure from Holt regardless. 

I'm glad you didn't read every word I wrote. Thanks for your expert opinion, I do know that I screwed up and I know what I did wrong. I don't need you to remind me. 

Leave me alone. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• Administrators

Personally, I don’t believe that the height of the hairline is an issue. I think it’s actually a decent design. The issue isn’t the design, it’s the density. I wouldn’t get grafts removed. I think that creates unnecessary scarring. This is a simple add more grafts case. Again, I don’t think it looks unnatural thankfully. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

44 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Your doctor is probably not very good .. he’s unable to do a large session ,, that’s why he only did a small amount of grafts at first.  
If  u not experiencing side effects from fin .. then u need to stick to it, most of the time it just helps maintain ur hair that ur currently Have n give it a longer long span ..  u can tell this by less hair fall ..

. as u already know hair transplants are tricky .. so u can’t afford to lose anymore hair .. 

It's not probably, he definitely is not good at all and I was stupid enough to see him. I agree, I wouldn't dare go off finasteride. It probably is helping in slowing hair loss but it definitely has not fully stopped it or caused any regrowth. 

1 hour ago, mavigo said:

The bad news is I had another doctor come back with a quote ~2,000 grafts as well but states that I have diffuse thinning of the frontal area and that any surgery would provide a "short term" density boost as the front continues to thin. 

As the side-effects king, I was shocked when I didn't experience any with finasteride but it's not working or working as well as I would like. Fin indeed doesn't work for everyone and it looks like I am in that bucket. 

I can't really see how any result could be worse than what I have now. I will see what Dr. P thinks. 

Dr Panine seems to be in agreement you do have a lot more donor to give, he’s a very good choice for you’re next procedure.

It definitely won’t be worse, it’s going to be a vast improvement, I agree with @Melvin- Moderatorthe hairline is ok, it just needs refinement and density added. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Personally, I don’t believe that the height of the hairline is an issue. I think it’s actually a decent design. The issue isn’t the design, it’s the density. I wouldn’t get grafts removed. I think that creates unnecessary scarring. This is a simple add more grafts case. Again, I don’t think it looks unnatural thankfully. 

Hair restoration is a very subjective field, a very esteemed doctor may think it's too low based off their experience and how they prefer to do hairlines. They told me that a hairline should be 1 - 2 finger widths above the last wrinkle of your forehead when you wrinkle it. So for it's kind of cutting it close, just about 1 finger width, maybe a bit less but my forehead is still big. It's not like it's an Aaron Hernandez hairline. 

Two physicians, both recommended by this site, and have good track records on hairline repairs (well at least one does) are recommending another 2,000 grafts. 

Edited by mavigo
Adding clarification
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mavigo said:

Two physicians, both recommended by this site, and have good track records are recommending another 2,000 grafts. 

Sounds ideal from what I can see, the figure usually changes on surgery day, could be a little more or less 👍🏽 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Britalien said:

Sounds ideal from what I can see, the figure usually changes on surgery day, could be a little more or less 👍🏽 

I'm expecting it to be more, I feel like it should be 3,000 but the coordinator at Dr. P's office didn't agree. I do have more photos, such as midscalp pics that I don't think will be addressed for this procedure but I think is an issue. I'm only willing to private message those as I already can tell that'll I'll need to delete this thread. 

7 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

How much did he charge per graft?

Too much 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mavigo said:

I'm expecting it to be more, I feel like it should be 3,000 but the coordinator at Dr. P's office didn't agree. I do have more photos, such as midscalp pics that I don't think will be addressed for this procedure but I think is an issue. I'm only willing to private message those as I already can tell that'll I'll need to delete this thread. 

I can see it ending up maybe 2250-2500 upon close examination. But Dr Panine will be having your best interests in mind here, reinforce the hairline and improve what’s already been done. If you do have a very good donor still then you’re in a very good position. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Britalien said:

I can see it ending up maybe 2250-2500 upon close examination. But Dr Panine will be having your best interests in mind here, reinforce the hairline and improve what’s already been done. If you do have a very good donor still then you’re in a very good position. 

While I obviously don't trust the other guy anymore, I also doubt how much donor hair I have but Dr. P's office seemed to agree that 8000 - 10,000 donors is about right. 

Dr. P's coordinator made it seem like there was enough hair to go around to address the frontal repair and potential midscalp work. We'll see when the doc actually takes a look at me. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mavigo said:

While I obviously don't trust the other guy anymore, I also doubt how much donor hair I have but Dr. P's office seemed to agree that 8000 - 10,000 donors is about right. 

Dr. P's coordinator made it seem like there was enough hair to go around to address the frontal repair and potential midscalp work. We'll see when the doc actually takes a look at me. 

For sure, looking forward to hearing how it goes ! 🙏

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mavigo said:

I'm glad you didn't read every word I wrote. Thanks for your expert opinion, I do know that I screwed up and I know what I did wrong. I don't need you to remind me. 

Leave me alone. 

Dude, what he wrote was perfectly reasonable.  Too many people here write essays when a few sentences and pictures would do.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John1991 said:

Dude, what he wrote was perfectly reasonable.  Too many people here write essays when a few sentences and pictures would do.

Really? How is it reasonable to say "I didn't read what you said but here's my misconstrued opinion". If it's too long for you, DON'T READ. Why respond or say anything at all if you think it's too long? Why say anything at all? Is there a length limit on posts? 

Edited by mavigo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

HappyMan has been here for well over a year and you've been here for like 10 days.  The least you could do is not be disrespectful in response to people commenting on your thread.  Half of your posts have been in your own thread...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John1991 said:

HappyMan has been here for well over a year and you've been here for like 10 days.  The least you could do is not be disrespectful in response to people commenting on your thread.  Half of your posts have been in your own thread...

How is it repectful to say you didn't read someones post and respond out of context? Just don't read it. Don't bother me. So having one year seniority devalidates me somehow? 

And I'm disrespectful? 

Am I not allowed to comment back in my own thread? Is there a rule on this? This is a thread about me right? So is there a problem that half of the comments are mine?

What does this have to do with anything? 

Edited by mavigo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, mavigo said:

How is it repectful to say you didn't read someones post and respond out of context? Just don't read it. Don't bother me. So having one year seniority devalidates me somehow? 

And I'm disrespectful? 

Am I not allowed to comment back in my own thread? Is there a rule on this? This is a thread about me right? So is there a problem that half of the comments are mine?

What does this have to do with anything? 

image.png.1235a4ba49c497f6604967114182d89a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Guys,

You have to understand this patient is posting because he’s unhappy and has feelings of shame. We should be supportive. Personally, I don’t think it’s horrible, could be much worse. But at least now he has a plan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Everyone's been mostly supportive here. Maybe HappyMan's post was mildly insensitive, but didn't seem to warrant agitation. It sucks having a undesired result, I know. Your hair looks fixable with the right doc, OP, and looks like you've got a nice beard in case you want to get beard grafts transplanted into your FUT scar one day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Everyone's been mostly supportive here. Maybe HappyMan's post was mildly insensitive, but didn't seem to warrant agitation. It sucks having a undesired result, I know. Your hair looks fixable with the right doc, OP, and looks like you've got a nice beard in case you want to get beard grafts transplanted into your FUT scar one day. 

Appreciate your opinion but responding to a post without reading it is internet 101 rude. Literally in my first two sentences I ask not to be bashed, so why bash? Then I get gaslit by the other guy.

Yeah, 4 reputable clinics have comeback saying it can be made to look a lot better with 1500-2000 grafts. I really don't care about the scar, I have a few of those, so what's one more? Interesting about the beard grafting. I wouldn't mind having my neckbeard transplanted out. I just wonder if it will feel weird because it has such a thicker, more coarse texture. Thanks for the input. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mavigo said:

Appreciate your opinion but responding to a post without reading it is internet 101 rude. Literally in my first two sentences I ask not to be bashed, so why bash? Then I get gaslit by the other guy.

Yeah, 4 reputable clinics have comeback saying it can be made to look a lot better with 1500-2000 grafts. I really don't care about the scar, I have a few of those, so what's one more? Interesting about the beard grafting. I wouldn't mind having my neckbeard transplanted out. I just wonder if it will feel weird because it has such a thicker, more coarse texture. Thanks for the input. 

From what I’ve gathered beard hair works well in the crown if you have crown loss. As you stated it’s coarse nature can get in the way of naturalness as you place finer single grafts in the front. It could be a more valuable resource later on if you thin out in the crown.

Which reputable clinics? Also Panine is a excellent choice for repair work.

The main purpose of Finasteride is to slow or stop hair loss, regrowth isn’t the objective although great to have. Have you noticed it stopping or slowing? If Finasteride doesn’t work there are also other options you can take instead or combine with Finasteride like Dutasteride and Saw Palmetto.

From what I’ve gathered by your photos and your comments about your donor area. if you manage to stabilise your hair loss with medication and get a repair. I think you would be pretty satisfied with what would be achievable considering you still have a large amount of donor available and a smaller area to cover.

• Thanks 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• 5 months later...

Figured I’d post an update. I did go ahead with a second procedure with Dr. Panine. Night and day difference in terms of experience. 

But sticking to the topic of this thread, if I was to use one word to wrap up my experience with Dr. Holt it would be deception. From Dr. Holt to telling me all I needed was 1400 grafts, to FUT was the better option for me, that I would look good and now this scar which I can see after shaving my head for the FUE

In one of my follow up sessions, Dr. Holt was straining to find my FUT scar, almost like an act, and overembellished how invisible it is. Needless to say it’s huge, like a popsicle stick. My dermatologist and barber quickly were able to point it out. 

Will likely get SMP or possibly beard grafts into the scar in 2 – 3 years. 

20230112_103143.jpg

20230111_185326.jpg

20230111_184959.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andy_+_+ said:

Any reason you didn't go with Konoir as he is a top 10 doctor and there are some posts on the site of him doing great repair work and is very ethical.

Mainly the price.