1th HT, loss of grafts due to pulled scabs

sanxo

Hello everyone

In july 13 i did my first hair transplant. According to the doctor there were placed 3500 grafts in this area. 

I am very worried that I have lost some grafts. My post-op had many scabs and on the seventh day I pulled some hair in an attempt to remove the scabs but I think I lost some grafts. 

After reading about it, many people say it is normal to lose hair along with the scabs, but in my case these hairs were veryyy similar to the follicle and I am afraid of having transformed a great hair transplant into a bad hair transplant with low density because i pull many hairs. When i pulled, the hair come very easy, without any need to use force and theres no bleeding. As you can see there are some areas with low density and less hair, mostly in the middle of the frontal area (more white area and where i pulled the most of the hairs/grafts)

Look at the photo of the scabs/grafts, It looks like a hair follicle, the hairs are very close together by a jelly and a hair bulb... I don't know, I'm sad.

968016392_graftlosswithscabs.thumb.jpg.0bdac7bbc642b79b51d8685b65798c43.jpg

TRANSPLANT AREA690767777_transplantday.thumb.jpg.41844c37b26c580f602496a764c94eaa.jpg

AFTER HT

1280459150_afterht.thumb.jpg.61443725dc2150c692852b2b22bc36dc.jpg

1 DAY POST-OP306435657_1dayafterht.thumb.jpg.85065e5c241482cb38abe9cfbdc6a8ef.jpg

5 DAYS POST-OP (WITH SCABS that i pulled) 1882678839_5daysafterHT(SCABS).thumb.jpg.4fcba9d3d342f0ca1d7a17ea4c12ece6.jpg

AFTER REMOVE ALL THE SCABS WITH BABY OIL1221558806_lowdensitiy8days.thumb.jpg.be0c40b76254a0a0ac3f97bfaef88070.jpg

I am today on the 12th day. No shock loss yet. What you think about hair density guys? I really lost some graft in the middle of the frontal? You think it is a good transplant? 

1079225281_lowdensity12days.thumb.jpg.3971a012ab357857ffe3a4549201093f.jpg

Thank you!

In that pic I see hairs surrounded by soft tissue… which is normal to see when shedding. 
Post op pics I can see blood running down the temple area, which is less usual, and should have been cleaned up after the procedure. The next day I can see it’s now dried blood, hopefully it’s just indicative of poor cleaning as opposed to any lost grafts. The scabbing/craters opening up we see all the time after a hair transplant, mostly due to the swelling. 
@Melvin- Moderatorcould provide the video to show this 🙏

Which clinic was this ? 

7 minutes ago, Britalien said:

In that pic I see hairs surrounded by soft tissue… which is normal to see when shedding. 
Post op pics I can see blood running down the temple area, which is less usual, and should have been cleaned up after the procedure. The next day I can see it’s now dried blood, hopefully it’s just indicative of poor cleaning as opposed to any lost grafts. The scabbing/craters opening up we see all the time after a hair transplant, mostly due to the swelling. 
@Melvin- Moderatorcould provide the video to show this 🙏

Which clinic was this ? 

Thanks for the answer britalien. The blood from the post-op photos doesn't worry me because it is really due to the procedure, not the graft loss. I have low platelets and therefore difficulty with hemostasis.

What really worries me is the fact that I pulled my hair after 7 days and then these scabs/grafts fell out. What do you think of this lower density in the middle of the frontal region? Is it normal? I expected more hait in that area.

The clinic is in brazil, in florianopolis. It is called "grupo capilar".

Yes I did wonder that might have been a hemostasis issue, i guess the clinic knew you have low platelets? They should have taken extra care of they had prior knowledge. Cleaning up afterwards would have proved difficult but not impossible. Imediate post op we can see they did Implant adequate grafts in that area, it’s just not as noticeable when the swelling went down, those grafts will still be safe under the scalp. Hair transplants are rarely one and done, for now all we can do is follow you’re journey and see how it turns out. Please keep us all updated 🙏

To me it definitely looks like you messed up, bro 😢 If it looks this empty this early then yeah the grafts are gone.

But I could be absolutely wrong and I probably am given I’ve no experience. 

nothing to worry about those are not grafts,  just dried scabs and the hair that has shed, If you lost grafts you would see blood.  They're pretty much secure after 72 hours. Some renowned surgeons say it even takes less time for them to not be displaced. As for the post op density, looks good and you can see the surgeon has done irregularities in the hairline to make it look more natural. 

You've got nothing to worry about man, at least in terms of losing grafts. As our fellow comrades pointed out, losing a graft is accompanied by bleeding and sharp pain. What you are seeing is the hair shafts shedding, as they should. Give it time and try not to freak out. Sometimes it can be the hardest thing, but all you gotta do now, is wait. 

• Like 1

If it was days 1-3, I'd say it's possible.  Day 7?  No chance.  You have to understand what it looks like to "remove grafts" day 7.  You're literally ripping living flesh out of your scalp.  There would be a hole left, and that hole would seriously be bleeding.

What you did was remove "hairs".  And you removed them along with some scabs.  Scabs are not grafts.  Hairs are not grafts.

Long story short, you're fine.

Check out my journey here:

As a general rule, if you pulled actual grafts out of your scalp, there would be pain and bleeding... Not to mention that even by Day 7, those grafts are quite secure and while it's possible to dislodge them at that point, it would be more difficult than you realize. If it wasn't painful and didn't bleed, then they were most certainly not lost grafts. The area you're seeing is probably just the hairs themselves that you pulled out prematurely, which isn't an issue at all. 

On a side note, it's only been about 2 weeks since your hair transplant, and it's way too early to jump to any conclusions - and I promise you it's not going to do your mental or emotional health any good to scrutinize every aspect of the procedure this early on. I don't know the details of your case, your surgeon, etc. - but it will really help you to trust yourself that you put in the work to choose a reputable surgeon and to let yourself just relax and let the process continue to unfold. The hardest part about a hair transplant for many people is the waiting period between the procedure and when the results start to come in... Which won't be for another 3 1/2 months at the earliest. 

I understand the concern about the potential lost grafts, but try to resist the temptation to start obsessing over how this is going to turn out. Trust me when I tell you it won't do you any good. The best any of us can do in the first few months after the procedure is to try and put it out of our minds altogether, and then let yourself be pleasantly surprised when you look in the mirror one day and see some serious progress. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Moderators

When the scabs start coming off some of them will have hair attached. It's normal. Most of the hair will all fall out.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.