Blood Work Prior to HT

Hey all, it seems like some surgeons require blood work prior to performing a HT. However the surgeon I am booked with (reputable) does not. 

Just curious, what is the point of the blood work? Makes sense they would want to know if you have HIV or something but other than that what's the function here? Is it a red flag if a clinic does not require it?

• Like 2

I've been to a local US clinic 3x and they required no bloodwork or Covid test at all. 

I recently went to Mwamba who required a Covid test but no bloodwork. 

I do not mean this in a politically incorrect way at all, but HIV has a much higher stigma in some foreign countries, and a foreign clinic may behave differently if you are HIV positive or not. 

Obviously US doctors and staff want to protect themselves from HIV just as much as everyone else. But as long as a clinic is practicing good hygiene, I believe HIV status is a non issue. 

Its the same reason dentists don't require bloodwork before seeing them. Its a non issue, but of course around the world you may have completely different opinions. 

Therefore I do not consider it a red flag at all if a clinic does not require blood work. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Some clinics require blood work. Not all, I believe these can be done locally at the clinics that require this, but if you have a insurance. You can get it done by your GP and bring the results. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I had to do bloodworm for my first clinic .. even though I have great health coverage with Kaiser .. I didn’t do it there because there’s no reason to .. so I had to look online for a blood work clinic around my area .. caused me $700 around z

n when I told the ht clinic that I won’t get the result until a week later .. they said don’t worry about .. after I paid $700 for nothing .. pissed me off .. n I didn’t end up going to that ht clinic either .: 

my suggestion is ,, if they ask u too do bloodwork .. tell them u are healthy , n u don’t have health insurance that will

cover it .. n if they want to deduct it from ur surgery .. then u will do it .. $100 I bet u the clinic will say oh never mind then .. 

i think the clinics just trying to do the office protocol , but it’s costing us a lot of additional money that’s not needed ..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

I had to do bloodworm for my first clinic .. even though I have great health coverage with Kaiser .. I didn’t do it there because there’s no reason to .. so I had to look online for a blood work clinic around my area .. caused me $700 around z

n when I told the ht clinic that I won’t get the result until a week later .. they said don’t worry about .. after I paid $700 for nothing .. pissed me off .. n I didn’t end up going to that ht clinic either .: 

my suggestion is ,, if they ask u too do bloodwork .. tell them u are healthy , n u don’t have health insurance that will

cover it .. n if they want to deduct it from ur surgery .. then u will do it .. $100 I bet u the clinic will say oh never mind then .. 

i think the clinics just trying to do the office protocol , but it’s costing us a lot of additional money that’s not needed ..

Out of curiosity, why didn't you go through your health insurance? Or did you mean something else kind of hard to tell

Well i was still self conscious about getting a hair transplant n I didn’t want anyone to know ..

so i didn’t feel like telling my general doctor at Kaiser to order these blood tests for me , because of a hairtransplant doctor told me to .. when I already had my annual  full blood work n health check A year ago .. 

n at that time I had extra money ,, so I guess I rather spend the extra money than tell someone I’m getting a hairtransplant ..

n to this day no one knows I had anything done :) but u guys .. hahah 

• Like 1

Bloxham had me do blood work.  I walked in to my local clinic, got it done, and they sent it to Great Neck the next day. I don’t see why it should be an issue either way. If anything, seems a bit odd that a clinic wouldn’t request it, but not disqualifying from the standpoint of them being able to deliver good results. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Some clinics require blood work. Not all, I believe these can be done locally at the clinics that require this, but if you have a insurance. You can get it done by your GP and bring the results. 

Hey Melvin,

Eugenix gave me a list of blood work needed for my upcoming procedure. There are 9 tests requested: HB/TLC/DLC/Platelet, HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Blood clotting test, blood sugar, HBA1c, liver function, and kidney function. This seems excessive and I don't currently have a great insurance plan that is going to cover it so I will be paying out of pocket. What was your experience with Eugenix and do you think there's possibility I could ask to drop some of these tests?

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 1

Not all do. My first doctor didn't but my second one does require a panel of lab tests. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella