1 year post op. Transplanted hairs falling ?

5 hours ago, GorillaSquad said:

Not suggesting that.      Just saying this hairloss could be tellogen effluvium.    But not likely considering people are saying here it happened to them and it didn’t recover.      

My dandruff is absolutely ridiculous starting to think this is the cause of why I keep losing the hair.  Hairline itches like crazy lately 

It could be that you have developed seborrheic dermatitis post op.  Best to get an assessment by your surgeon and see what they say.  

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

39 minutes ago, splitting hairs said:

It could be that you have developed seborrheic dermatitis post op.  Best to get an assessment by your surgeon and see what they say.  

I had sebhorric dermatitis before the surgery, it comes and goes in my life, why would that affect my transplanted hairs? I was never told it would affect my transplant.

Just now, Rossybop said:

I had sebhorric dermatitis before the surgery, it comes and goes in my life, why would that affect my transplanted hairs? I was never told it would affect my transplant.

It wouldn't affect the transplant, however, a flare up can cause temporary shedding.  Best to get it under control with your treatments.  

Propecia since July 2008

Just now, splitting hairs said:

It wouldn't affect the transplant, however, a flare up can cause temporary shedding.  Best to get it under control with your treatments.  

It hasn't really flared up lately though. The weakening and thinning of the transplant is so upsetting.

Telogen Effluvium is caused by extreme stress. A close family member died. You lost your job and are suddenly homeless. You were injured in a major, debilitating, car accident. You just had open-heart surgery, etc.

Unless you were in a catastrophic, life-changing physical or psychological event since your surgery, the cause is not TE IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Telogen Effluvium is caused by extreme stress. A close family member died. You lost your job and are suddenly homeless. You were injured in a major, debilitating, car accident. You just had open-heart surgery, etc.

Unless you were in a catastrophic, life-changing physical or psychological event since your surgery, the cause is not TE IMO. 

That's interesting. Over the past few months I underwent some stress with a job and a bit of loneliness, and then I lost my job and have had to go through the stress of finding a new job. There has been more stress than normal there, but I'm coming out of the stressful period now, and I was never at risk of being homeless or anything like that because my parents are supportive.

I personally am sceptical of the whole telogen effluvium thing myself to be honest.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

That's interesting. Over the past few months I underwent some stress with a job and a bit of loneliness, and then I lost my job and have had to go through the stress of finding a new job. There has been more stress than normal there, but I'm coming out of the stressful period now, and I was never at risk of being homeless or anything like that because my parents are supportive.

sorry to hear about your job loss. I've lost jobs before too and it totally sucks. 

But yes things like losing your job (w/o the homelessness), breaking up with your GF, unexpected large bill, elderly family member dies but it wasn't a surprise - all of these things totally suck and are stressful, but not enough IMO to make your hair fall out. 

So yes I do think it is correct to be skeptical of this being TE. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GorillaSquad said:

It could be some cycle shed too.    We shall see. But new hairs should not be falling out in one year post op.  Makes zero sense.   Especially the ones from the back of the head 

Whats cycle shed bro?...makes zero sense but seems to be happening and it seems like something that's happened to a lot of people here.

I think I figured out why I have a sudden severe hairloss.  I think it’s due to the sudden asthma and sleep apnea induction I started experiencing past 2 to 3 months.       I theorize it may be due to thiamine deficiency.  I will update in two weeks.    

• 4 weeks later...

Okay good news.  Hair is recovering.   Turns out it wasn’t an iron thing.     It’s bacteria.       

I have dedicated thousands of hours of my life. There is empirical proof that pathogens such as bacteria can actually accelerate or possibly trigger mpb.       My dandruff issue is officially solved now after almost a decade of suffering.      This has resulted in a dramatic drop in hairloss.     

Scalp pain gone.  My scalp has never felt better after using an antiseptic all over my body and antifungal and finishing off within a zinc naicinamide topical.    Let’s gooooo

Edited by GorillaSquad

It is common after a transplant. We call this anagen desynchronization.

After the transplant the hairs get synchronized after they all fall out during the shedding phase and after this they grow back synchronized. Then at 12-15 months they desynchronize. It will grow back. 

Edited by DrMunibAhmad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GorillaSquad said:

Okay good news.  Hair is recovering.   Turns out it wasn’t an iron thing.     It’s bacteria.       

I have dedicated thousands of hours of my life. There is empirical proof that pathogens such as bacteria can actually accelerate or possibly trigger mpb.       My dandruff issue is officially solved now after almost a decade of suffering.      This has resulted in a dramatic drop in hairloss.     

Scalp pain gone.  My scalp has never felt better after using an antiseptic all over my body and antifungal and finishing off within a zinc naicinamide topical.    Let’s gooooo

congrats man, glad to hear you're ridden of a lingering problem.

4 hours ago, GorillaSquad said:

That’s great news. What products did you end up using?

3 possible scenarios

1. You had native hair mixed with your transplanted ones, that is the hair that is falling

2. Your hair is just entering telogen phase before it grows out again(anagen phase)

3. Hair was either extracted from unsafe donor area or you have DUPA

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes it just takes time for our body to heal, repair, and just effectively recover…it’s very important that we eat healthy, exercise, and get enough consistent sustained sleep which will supercharge our immune system.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...

Came back here to say it’s getting worse and only the transplanted hairs.   

I read a few studies about recipient area influencing the hair.      Some think that no matter what hairs u out in the temple area those hairs will thin as it’s not the hair but the location that affects the hair.    Idk what do now.  

15 minutes ago, GorillaSquad said:

I read a few studies about recipient area influencing the hair.      Some think that no matter what hairs u out in the temple area those hairs will thin as it’s not the hair but the location that affects the hair.    Idk what do now.  

Do you’ve any photos ? And you’re not taking any medicines right now ?

I think you need to be on Finasteride in case you have DUPA, which also affects the donor area.  Also, oral minoxidil may help as it shortens the telogen phase of the hair cycle.  

Propecia since July 2008

On 12/5/2023 at 3:13 AM, GorillaSquad said:

Yes, unfortunately recipient sites influence hair survival. The degree seems to significantly vary between people. A lot of hair transplant doctors claim 100% donor dominance to sell more procedures, but that isn’t that case.

Donor hair can thin with age, but that’s not what is causing significant loss only a year after surgery 

Edited by misc1729