Looking to get a hair transplant at 25 need some advice

Hey folks, 25 year old guy here looking for advice on getting a HT

I caught my hair loss early, I suspect it started sometime shortly before the pandemic just before 2020 based off my old pictures. I didn't even clock I was losing my hair until a good friend of mine pointed it out, for now I can cover up the damage well enough but in truth I want to see if I can get a FUE hair transplant to fix up what I've lost

Ive been on Finasteride for the last 8 Months and been using Minoxidil for the last 4 months. As you can see, the progress I have had on it has not fixed the issue but it has had a small impact and I have doubts any giant leap in progress will happen if I give it a few more months

November 2021
image.thumb.jpeg.494938e257d594fee3177e1993b31b82.jpeg

July 2022
image.thumb.jpeg.6cadef3d1a95970443afb4c08563fd68.jpeg

Fin/Min Progress
image.thumb.jpeg.723084e6538948312db6ee09d7151548.jpeg

My stance is I'm 25. I want my full head of hair back and I'm willing to commit to fin to keep it and min if I must (I've not had any side effects on either)

1. How many grafts am I looking at to cover the highlighted area?

2. What sort of cost am I looking at to get this done and done properly? (I live in the UK and I'm willing to go abroad if needed, can't spend more than £4k really)

3. Can finasteride stop my hairloss, or at least hold if off well enough until I turn grey? 

4. If I go for this how long can I expect to wait before I get booked in for a HT

I would seriously consider saving up more money before going through with this, that’s a fairly low budget. This is permanent and you want to get it right the first time. If you have to wait an extra year or two to, it would be well worth it imho. Your hair loss at this time appears to be low enough that you can get this fixed in one surgery if you do it correctly. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ferris said:

I caught my hair loss early, I suspect it started sometime shortly before the pandemic just before 2020 based off my old pictures. I didn't even clock I was losing my hair until a good friend of mine pointed it out, for now I can cover up the damage well enough but in truth I want to see if I can get a FUE hair transplant to fix up what I've lost

Ive been on Finasteride for the last 8 Months and been using Minoxidil for the last 4 months. As you can see, the progress I have had on it has not fixed the issue but it has had a small impact and I have doubts any giant leap in progress will happen if I give it a few more months

November 2021

July 2022

Fin/Min Progress

My stance is I'm 25. I want my full head of hair back and I'm willing to commit to fin to keep it and min if I must (I've not had any side effects on either)

2. What sort of cost am I looking at to get this done and done properly? (I live in the UK and I'm willing to go abroad if needed, can't spend more than £4k really)

3. Can finasteride stop my hairloss, or at least hold if off well enough until I turn grey? 

4. If I go for this how long can I expect to wait before I get booked in for a HT

You have had a solid and noticeable improvement using Minoxidil. Considering adding Microneedling in for a bigger boost once per week at 1 or 1.5mm using a derma pen. Also, adding Nizoral with 2% Ketoconazole shampoo can provide a small boost. 

I can't see a specific line when you mean highlighted but i imagine you are talking about your area where its in the corners. I actually would wait a little bit longer and it's not because i think you're too young at 25 but because you have been on Finasteride and Minoxodil for less than 12 months and got that much ground back. Given how good your response is, if you can keep up 1mg Finasteride everyday with the Minoxodil and Microneedling, in 12-24 months time, you could be in an even better position for a great hair transplant and not have to worry that some of those hair atm that look like they're at a delicate stage could be lost by having a surgeon implanting grants between them. 

I would say at least 12 months of Minoxodil use is the point to wait for given you started almost 4 months later. That should give you a great baseline. 

Your hairline could change a fair bit and then you may decide to work on very specific areas which may take less grafts or you might even be allowed to be more aggressive. You've come to a great place to research patient results and find the right surgeon as well as educate yourself on what makes a great hair transplant. 

With your budget, it's honestly not going to stretch really far even in Europe so if you can wait, then it will allow you to save up a bit more and maybe open up those options like Dr Bisanga in Belgium, Dr De Freitas in Spain etc. 

Atm, on that sort of budget you may still have options though that are reputable. 

I can't see your temple points in the angles you posted but they look strong so probably a frontal hairline restoration and strengthening might be the only thing needed for you and that could range from 1200-2000 grafts depending on surgeon. 

Finasteride may very well hold off your hair loss for a while if you responded this well but you also having the option of moving to Dutasteride if you notice you're losing ground again. 

I should have probably mentioned I am also dermarolling once every 1-2 weeks. I don't think I can induce much more improvement with drugs/external remedies sadly

Ive given fin 8 months and min 4

Some comments are mentioning a decent place for 1-2k grafts being out of my price range. In which case how much money do I need ideally?

Edited by Ferris

You appear like a Norwood 3 or 3A to me. And no you didn't catch it early. At November 21 you have fairly receded. But you seem to have made good progress with fin and min. Continue it for a year. Then consider a HT. Finasteride can take a year to show max results so be pateint. HT can wait.

2 hours ago, Ferris said:

I should have probably mentioned I am also dermarolling once every 1-2 weeks. I don't think I can induce much more improvement with drugs/external remedies sadly

Ive given fin 8 months and min 4

Some comments are mentioning a decent place for 1-2k grafts being out of my price range. In which case how much money do I need ideally?

You may have given Finasteride 8 months, but Minoxodil you've only given 4 months and at minimum you need to allow 12 months for Minoxodil. Finasteride usually doesn't promote regrowth by itself but it can definitely help you save and keep the existing hair. 

Also note that Finasteride can and does keep working years down the line, 10+ depending on how you responded. Usually the long term studies found that Norwood 3 and lower had the best results long term for hair count. 

Look, in terms of pricing, Europe doctors will be upwards of €3 per graft and that's probably before taxes. Turkey has some handful of options but even Dr Bicer who was getting positive feedback recently increased her price. 

There's the option of Eugenix and the Exclusive Package at 120RS + Tax which could hypothetically fall into your budget and probably give you a solid result too. UK visa to India isn't usually complicated either. Unless of course you happen to be of Pakistani ethnic heritage in any shape or form, even if born in the UK. Then it will take you over 3 months practically. 

I think ideally for you, waiting 1-2 years with the medication and increasing your budget by £1-2k at least should help a lot. Just bear in mind that a good hair transplant is with you for life and a poor hair transplant will likely need to be repaired and its 100x worse imo being a repair case. 

• Thanks 1

Greetings of the day @Ferris

Solid and Exceptional job done by Finasteride and Minoxidil, I would advise you to continue both as there are chances it will improve more. You seems to be NW3 and considering your age I think you should continue on medication. Finasteride will continue working, it will stop the conversion of DHT and prevent your existing hairs from baldness but it will not help you to grow new hairs. 

However, If you have decided to go for a hair transplant then PM me and I will sharing more details of our packages, expected waiting time, procedure etc. I will also try to connect you with our doctor to give an exact count of grafts. 

Regards,

Eugenix Hair Science 

• Valued Contributor

I would continue on your meds and give them more time. It can take up to two years to see the full benefits of finasteride and a year for minoxidil. At 25 you can stabilize (and potentially regain some ground) which it sound like you are doing already then I would save up for the best surgeon out there. Why? Because you will need few grafts and you will be ensuring that you won't need further surgery for a long time. Failure to wait for the medication to give you it's best chance could result in costing you a lot more money that you don't have down the track along with poor results. Look at @MazAB. He was patient and stabilized his hair loss for several decades by catching this young like you have and by doing his research now has one of the most natural (and low graft count required) transplants that we have ever seen. Do it right and do it once. Your future self will thank you forever!

I suggest your browse through the forum. 

A hair transplant  is a huge deal and it can destroy your life. 

Even the best doctors have bad results. 

You can't just shave your head if it fails because of the scarring that will occur even with FUE

I suggest you rather upgrade to Dutasteride, oral minoxidil, topical anti androgens and "throw a kitchen sink"  at it and give a good 6 months. 

Surgery is a risky gamble. It should always be last resort. 

The risk of failure us high while the number of available grafts is limited  as you know. 

Otherwise if the meds don't work then look into Freitas, Pinto, Bisanga. They are the best for hairlines specifically. 

Or HDC Cyprus, Ximena, Bicer, Fuecapilar for decent budget options. 

At 25 you are very young and the early stages of hair loss. Keep in mind that this is a progressive condition, even if you're  on medication. I would stick to the medication for a number years to see if it works and if you do not develp sides (which are more common than reported in the biased studies). Then possibly revaluate. 

I appreciate the advice from folks here. Really sounds like I should save more and give it more time, though I do want some more ballpark estimates on price with a good surgeon. so that I have a goal to save towards

Those two pictures in my op, there is a difference but not much of any, I can see how many baby hairs have grown in since starting min and its not very sibstantial. Call it coping but my hair has always been very high on my head and its only on my temples it has receeded

31 minutes ago, Legal action and refund said:

I suggest your browse through the forum. 

A hair transplant  is a huge deal and it can destroy your life. 

Even the best doctors have bad results. 

You can't just shave your head if it fails because of the scarring that will occur even with FUE

I suggest you rather upgrade to Dutasteride, oral minoxidil, topical anti androgens and "throw a kitchen sink"  at it and give a good 6 months. 

Surgery is a risky gamble. It should always be last resort. 

The risk of failure us high while the number of available grafts is limited  as you know. 

Otherwise if the meds don't work then look into Freitas, Pinto, Bisanga. They are the best for hairlines specifically. 

Or HDC Cyprus, Ximena, Bicer, Fuecapilar for decent budget options. 

Some of the advice here on drugs is nuts makes me feel like Im on subreddits I shall not name. I don't want to take oral minox because who knows what a blood thinner in my system for possibly decades will do (Im aware its a very small dose). Dut, again is a risk Im not sure I even need to take right now. Fin is doing the job and I have no desire rn to switch to a drug that might have nasty side effects, I've already rolled the dice twice with Fin and topical min.

Edited by Ferris

2 minutes ago, Ferris said:

Some of the advice here on drugs is nuts makes me feel like Im on subreddits I shall not name. I don't want to take oral minox because who knows what a blood thinner in my system for possibly decades will do (Im aware its a very small dose). Dut, again is a risk Im not sure I even need to take right now. Fin is doing the job and I have no desire rn to switch to a drug that might have nasty side effects, I've already rolled the dice twice with Fin and topical min.

Lmfao

Dutasteride is not nearly as bad as you describe it. 

But anyways.  Fair enough if you don't want to use these medications then don't use them.Just stay on finasteride and hopefully that will be sufficient to slow down your hairloss significantly. 

Just remember that any experienced memeber will tell you that surgery is always last resort. 25 is still very young to get a hair transplant. 

You should do your research very diligently, have "realistic expectations"  and understand the limitations and lifelong consequences of hair transplant at such an early age. 

Transplants are a risk. Spend time on this forum and research...

It's an extremely long process. Both financially, physically and emotionally. The "one and done" thing is a myth. 

The "just shave it bro" after failed transplant doesn' work. 

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a transplant but you should carefully consider all aspects and possibilities (long term donor capacity, risk of failure, 2nd procedure required, cost, commitment to finasteride, choosing a great doctor etc etc....) 

Good luck 

12 hours ago, Ferris said:

November 2021

July 2022

Fin/Min Progress

1. I wouldn't try to go beyond 2000 grafts for your first procedure. Your lifetime graft supply during  is limited. Transplants can fail and grafts can be wasted. 

2. 4000£ is not nearly enough to get decent results unfortunately. You will have to save up to afford a better clinic. You don't wanna risk a turkish hairmill or a bad clinic in the UK. 

3. Stop completely till you're 60. Probably no. Slow down significantly to the point that you keep a decent hair of hair ? Probably yes. It'll depend on your genetics and sensiticity of your follicles to DHT. Some people may need to add additionnal agent or stronger pharmaceuticals at some point. For others, Finasteride is generally sufficient for maintenance  

4. If you want a good clinic then 6 months to a year. 

"Full head of hair" is mathematically impossible...We don't have hair cloning.  Transplants are an illusion of density. They are 50% of your native hair density. Your graft supply limited and you have to take into account the need for additionnal surgeries in the future.  You should manage your expectations.  

42 minutes ago, Ferris said:

I appreciate the advice from folks here. Really sounds like I should save more and give it more time, though I do want some more ballpark estimates on price with a good surgeon. so that I have a goal to save towards

Those two pictures in my op, there is a difference but not much of any, I can see how many baby hairs have grown in since starting min and its not very sibstantial. Call it coping but my hair has always been very high on my head and its only on my temples it has receeded

At your budget the only good option that I've seen in that range would be fuecapilar in turkey, someone mentioned eugenix but there's a bias towards them on this forum, don't get me wrong they're good but overhyped, and I've seen too many bad donors from them lately. Luckily your young and it's your decision ultimately,  but I would save up till you can afford a budget of say 10K-11K for someone like bisanga or freitas who are some of the best around. If you don't think you will be able to save up that kind of money then the best option would be fuecapilar which i think is around 1.5 euro per graft so for say 2500 grafts would be within your budget.

Edited by sukh123