how much grafts would i need for this area?

You seem like a Norwood 3 just based on the frontal picture and 2000 to 2500 grafts might be needed depending on your hair density. 

How old are you and are you on any medication like Finasteride? 

EDIT

I can see reading again you said you just started Finasteride. What dosage? 

Edited by NARMAK

Depends on your age and future hairloss pattern.

You started finasteride so I would hold off on any type of hair transplant for a year (maybe 2). Perhaps switch to dutasteride? But if no change happens within the year or maybe if your hair shafts get thicker I would say probably 1800-2200 grafts depending how many many singles/doubles/triples/etc. You have based off your donor and which clinic you decide to go with.

If you have no future hairloss you can probably dense pack with 2000 grafts.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 hour ago, Vann said:

Depends on your age and future hairloss pattern.

You started finasteride so I would hold off on any type of hair transplant for a year (maybe 2). Perhaps switch to dutasteride? But if no change happens within the year or maybe if your hair shafts get thicker I would say probably 1800-2200 grafts depending how many many singles/doubles/triples/etc. You have based off your donor and which clinic you decide to go with.

If you have no future hairloss you can probably dense pack with 2000 grafts.

thanks for the in-depth response! ive heard a lot of horror stories on dutasteride nuking people’s hairlines, id like to add dutasteride maybe in a couple years 1-2 times a week along with finasteride but im not sure, what do you think about the idea that dutasteride nukes the front? 

Nuking people's hairline ? What did you hear that bro ? 

Actually Dutasteride is more likely to save your hairline no matter the theoritical  increase in follicular testosterone. 

If you are worried just throw in some RU or eucapil to balance things out. 

1 hour ago, demezz2 said:

thanks for the in-depth response! ive heard a lot of horror stories on dutasteride nuking people’s hairlines, id like to add dutasteride maybe in a couple years 1-2 times a week along with finasteride but im not sure, what do you think about the idea that dutasteride nukes the front? 

I have never heard that before. A lot of people make up horror stories about finasteride so I can only imagine what dutasteride stories are like. There is a large placebo effect once people read about the side effects. My best advice is to visit your doctor either derm or PCP and ask them to rule out some tests whether you could have a genetic condition or perhaps some type of auto immunity causing your hair loss and ask them about dutasteride 0.5mg. Its basically a stronger version of what youre taking.

I took finasteride 1mg daily for awhile then switched to Dutasteride 0.5mg daily. The only difference in side effects is I felt some swelling in my groin but that was very minor and very temporary within the first few weeks. I have been on Dut for over 2 years now and never had any sort of medical side effects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nurses take over said:

Nuking people's hairline ? What did you hear that bro ? 

Actually Dutasteride is more likely to save your hairline no matter the theoritical  increase in follicular testosterone. 

If you are worried just throw in some RU or eucapil to balance things out. 

if you go on tressless on reddit and search up dustasteride or sm your bound to find the stories im talking about

also, i would take RU but im already using using topical minoxidil along with topical fin + min on my hairline and my hair gets greasy after a couple days so idk if i’d want more product on it. i would quit the topical min/fin but i alr have about 8 months worth and its 15% min so i dont want to experience a shed if i stop it 

Edited by demezz2

1 hour ago, Vann said:

I have never heard that before. A lot of people make up horror stories about finasteride so I can only imagine what dutasteride stories are like. There is a large placebo effect once people read about the side effects. My best advice is to visit your doctor either derm or PCP and ask them to rule out some tests whether you could have a genetic condition or perhaps some type of auto immunity causing your hair loss and ask them about dutasteride 0.5mg. Its basically a stronger version of what youre taking.

I took finasteride 1mg daily for awhile then switched to Dutasteride 0.5mg daily. The only difference in side effects is I felt some swelling in my groin but that was very minor and very temporary within the first few weeks. I have been on Dut for over 2 years now and never had any sort of medical side effects.

thats good to hear, and regardless, i think if i only take it 1-2 times a week along with finasteride it should be fine. did u experience more regrowth or thickening after switching?

13 minutes ago, demezz2 said:

thats good to hear, and regardless, i think if i only take it 1-2 times a week along with finasteride it should be fine. did u experience more regrowth or thickening after switching?

Yes it was significantly better on dutasteride … 8-15 months in.  Personally, I wish I started dut from the beginning.

Edited by Vann

5 hours ago, demezz2 said:

The only thing Dutasteride should "nuke" if your body serum DHT by like 90% or more, and block circa 51% of scalp DHT at 0.5mg everyday. Finasteride is 70% body DHT and 41% scalp DHT at 1mg everyday. 

I skipped Finasteride and went straight to Dutasteride. I actually feel it help me save some frontal hair but once your hair gets to a certain point, nothing is likely to save it. Finasteride, Dutasteride or even some other stuff. 

I personally feel like if you can tolerate it, being on the medication that blocks the most DHT makes the most sense which is why i decided to go on Dutasteride and its harder to regain ground, so another reason i decided to be more aggressive. 

4 hours ago, NARMAK said:

The only thing Dutasteride should "nuke" if your body serum DHT by like 90% or more, and block circa 51% of scalp DHT at 0.5mg everyday. Finasteride is 70% body DHT and 41% scalp DHT at 1mg everyday. 

I skipped Finasteride and went straight to Dutasteride. I actually feel it help me save some frontal hair but once your hair gets to a certain point, nothing is likely to save it. Finasteride, Dutasteride or even some other stuff. 

I personally feel like if you can tolerate it, being on the medication that blocks the most DHT makes the most sense which is why i decided to go on Dutasteride and its harder to regain ground, so another reason i decided to be more aggressive. 

a few people told me that using 2.5mg dutasteride daily nukes nearly all scalp dht, what do you think about this? if your already nuking like 99% of serum dht, why not use 2.5mg? besides the price

7 hours ago, demezz2 said:

if you go on tressless on reddit and search up dustasteride or sm your bound to find the stories im talking about

also, i would take RU but im already using using topical minoxidil along with topical fin + min on my hairline and my hair gets greasy after a couple days so idk if i’d want more product on it. i would quit the topical min/fin but i alr have about 8 months worth and its 15% min so i dont want to experience a shed if i stop it 

Allright. Fair enough

2 hours ago, demezz2 said:

a few people told me that using 2.5mg dutasteride daily nukes nearly all scalp dht, what do you think about this? if your already nuking like 99% of serum dht, why not use 2.5mg? besides the price

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/#:~:text=The 2.5-mg dutasteride dose,92%).

Dutasteride 2.5mg vs. 0.5mg

The 2.5-mg dutasteride dose was consistently superior to 0.5-mg dutasteride in promoting scalp hair growth. The 2.5-mg dose was also better than the 0.5-mg dose at suppressing scalp DHT (79% vs. 51%), whereas it was only marginally better at suppressing serum DHT (96% vs. 92%). 

-----------------

So, you were correct that 2.5mg Dutasteride blocks more scalp DHT, but it's not nearly all, it's 79% which is still extremely high. Here in the UK, i've only come across 0.5mg that can be prescribed off label for hair loss. It's highly unlikely you would get somebody giving you 2.5mg for hair loss alone. You'd likely have to dig deep to even find that dosage and then like you say, it's probably a bit cost prohibitive. 

Also, your hair naturally blocks DHT, so i would hope that naturally people's hair on average is blocking 50% scalp DHT or we'd all be extremely bald very young into out mid to late 20s. Combined with 0.5mg Dutasteride daily, that should mean scalp DHT is blocked by over 100% based on raw maths. 

However, although DHT is seen as the main culprit of hair loss, the truth is that there's more than likely other factors at play they still haven't really unlocked the key to fully just yet and are trying to test for. 

At 2.5mg Dutasteride dosage, you also don't know how much more risk you might be putting yourself at over a longer term. Believe you and me, if you see some of my posts around the forum, you'll see how eager i am towards medication like Finasteride/Dutasteride to fight hair loss, but i am also wary of side affects and that link shows even though the serum DHT blocked only changed by 6%, there was 9x as many people complaining about low libido. I dunno about you, but keeping my hair i hope helps me find a relationship and then still be able to work down there when the time comes :D

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/#:~:text=The 2.5-mg dutasteride dose,92%).

Dutasteride 2.5mg vs. 0.5mg

The 2.5-mg dutasteride dose was consistently superior to 0.5-mg dutasteride in promoting scalp hair growth. The 2.5-mg dose was also better than the 0.5-mg dose at suppressing scalp DHT (79% vs. 51%), whereas it was only marginally better at suppressing serum DHT (96% vs. 92%). 

-----------------

So, you were correct that 2.5mg Dutasteride blocks more scalp DHT, but it's not nearly all, it's 79% which is still extremely high. Here in the UK, i've only come across 0.5mg that can be prescribed off label for hair loss. It's highly unlikely you would get somebody giving you 2.5mg for hair loss alone. You'd likely have to dig deep to even find that dosage and then like you say, it's probably a bit cost prohibitive. 

Also, your hair naturally blocks DHT, so i would hope that naturally people's hair on average is blocking 50% scalp DHT or we'd all be extremely bald very young into out mid to late 20s. Combined with 0.5mg Dutasteride daily, that should mean scalp DHT is blocked by over 100% based on raw maths. 

However, although DHT is seen as the main culprit of hair loss, the truth is that there's more than likely other factors at play they still haven't really unlocked the key to fully just yet and are trying to test for. 

At 2.5mg Dutasteride dosage, you also don't know how much more risk you might be putting yourself at over a longer term. Believe you and me, if you see some of my posts around the forum, you'll see how eager i am towards medication like Finasteride/Dutasteride to fight hair loss, but i am also wary of side affects and that link shows even though the serum DHT blocked only changed by 6%, there was 9x as many people complaining about low libido. I dunno about you, but keeping my hair i hope helps me find a relationship and then still be able to work down there when the time comes :D

thanks for the in-depth response! i came here from recommendation by someone on reddit and tbh its much better than the tressless sub overall. i agree with what u said, although, i didnt know people naturally supress tbh. thats kinda cool.

5 minutes ago, demezz2 said:

thanks for the in-depth response! i came here from recommendation by someone on reddit and tbh its much better than the tressless sub overall. i agree with what u said, although, i didnt know people naturally supress tbh. thats kinda cool.

Honestly, i came across Tressless on Reddit too and then ended up on here. Tressless gives great advice on general hairloss but when it comes to hair transplants, Reddit unfortunately doesn't seem to have a clue and you'll see pluggy hairmill hair transplants posted and praised. It's only after you spend some time here researching about transplants you realise why they don't look great and what a good result should look like. It should almost be that nobody even can tell something is "off" even just a little like hair mill hair transplants make you feel looking at them. 

Demezz22,

The number of follicular units you will need to meet your goals will depend on the number of factors however, by looking at your photos alone, assuming that you are a good candidate for not just hair translent surgery but also for den packing and recreating a youth of looking hairline, I’d say you would need approximately 2500 grafts.  This is also making the assumption that you don’t have any hair loss behind the hairline and that the frontal region is the only area that requires transplanting.

At the end of the day though, this number will vary depending on your age, current hair loss, whether or not you are continuing to lose hair, family history of hair loss, hair loss treatment regimen if any, risks of future hair loss, available donor hair over a lifetime, the size of the recipient area which includes any other areas not shown both now and in the future, etc.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Y

On 7/10/2022 at 10:25 PM, demezz2 said:

i just started finasteride so you could assume some hairs will be regrown but other than that, roughly how much grafts would i need for this area?

E5263BF2-674B-4902-ADD1-DB1BA4B0D742.jpeg

72537715-4EF0-450E-BDDF-9F7700597478.jpeg

You are Grade III on the Norwood Hamilton scale of baldness. You shall require around 2400 to 2500 grafts approximately for the frontal zone.Finasteride will help prolong baldness on your scalp.