Dermmatch and fibers

I often see "dermmatch and fibers" as a recommendation. How exactly is this achieved and what products are best ?

I have fairly good coverage but thin and 'see thru'.  My hair is moderately long at 3" and I wear it dry and 'fluffed' to give a fuller appearance. 

Wetting it only looks much thinner as it separates. 

Thanks...  

These are known as concealers because they don't treat hair loss but they conceal / hide it until the next time you wash your hair.

Dermmatch is the name of a brand, i haven't used it but i believe it's like make up that you dab onto the scalp. The most well known fibre brand is Topik, you sprinkle them onto your head and it clings on to whatever hair your have left. 

From what you said about your hair, it sounds like concealers would work very well.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Take a look at some You Tube demos on concealers.  There is a rich debate on which works best. I think it comes down to personal preference. Melvin, our moderator, has I believed used Caboki (a brand similar to Toppik) for crown and elsewhere. He has dark hair so i imagine it is pretty easy to match color. Caboki is made of plant fibers and minerals. Caboki advertises that it is safe for sensitive scalps. A review says "Some of the keratin hair fibre products will cause scalp itching and burning and many users of keratin hair fibres claim that they find the dyes leach out and create a greenish tinge on the scalp. This can be especially evident in the sun." Toppik, which appears to be the most popular, is made from keratin. Some think keratin based fibers are the best because it is a protein found in natural hair, but  be forewarned that it can cause allergic reactions. Both Caboki and Toppiks claim their products are resistant to rain, sweat, wind. Bottom line is that I do not think there is a consensus on what is best so try different ones, especially being attuned to matching color and testing out how they hold up under perspiration, water and rain.

• Administrators

The aim of hair loss concealers is to block light from hitting your scalp. What’s thinning? A visible scalp. If you don’t see scalp, you’re not thinning. 

DermMatch tints your scalp so that it’s not visible. Fibers binds to small hair follicles and makes them longer and thicker. Combining these both give optimal results. You also use less of either product.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks guys !

Dermatch seems to be a better match (?) for my particular situation.  Whereas Caboki ect tend to come with more problems.

From what I 'learned' from UTube. 

1. From what I say Caboki ect will run and come off (mess) unless you wet it. Or use hairspray.  Since I leave my hair dry -no sprays -

I will probably have a problem with them. Is this correct ?  

2. Dermatch supposedly wont run or come off on your hand ect once it's dry.  Nor does it need and sprays (?) 

Can I wash, towel dry, apply and blowdry keeping my usual styling ?  

What I don't understand is some vids show it goes on the hairs, where others show it goes on the scalp. Which is it ? 

It seems as though you're 'painting the scalp' so to speak which sounds very phoney looking. I came across a few vids

one in particular by the company or a seller maybe which showed very poor results. I do hope it doesn't look this bad.

It looked like he smeared shoe polish on his head, really. 

I do hope the results are better than this. 

Of the two ways to go what are the biggest concerns and problems with each ?  I suppose before I go out and embarrass myself I best test at home.

Thanks....   back to UTube !