FUE With Dr. Nader on July 12th-13th, 2022 | 3,200-4,000 Grafts | 30M American.

Wow, what a journey man! Congrats on the amazing results! I wish I knew about dr. Nader before moving out of the U.S., it would have been a short and easy trip for me. Now I'm in Israel and the nearest good doctors that fit my budget are Pekiner and HLC. I've been communicating with them and waiting on dates. Thanks for writing such a detailed post on your experience. Respect! I look forward to seeing your progress in the coming months. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

9 months

We all hit our regrowth spurts at different times. Mine happened after 3-5 months, and I reported all my drastic monthly improvements during that timeframe. Not that I haven't improved further since (I have), and I wouldn't be discontent either way because it was already satisfactory enough. But I want to temper your expectations.

My breakthrough period ended months ago; any additional developments have been too gradual to warrant monthly reports to me, hence my radio silence since the half-year mark. As I've told some of my followers (both here and on Reddit) via DMs, my hair hasn't dramatically changed since that juncture (other than that I've refined my hairstyle, which is a big change in an illusory sense)—and I explicitly expected that since my last post here.

Yet your curiosity lingers on, and I know my words alone can't satisfy it. You'll want updated photos, no matter how infinitesimal the progress. I promised them after three months as well, and here are my slightly overdue deliverables.

IMG_4367.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4355.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4341.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4343.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4345.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4347.jpg?width=492&height=655

AD8A1F9F-5EF2-4205-BDC9-34BFE658850D.jpg?width=426&height=655

I included two stylistically different overhead shots this time.

The first one I did for consistency's sake: it's the straight fringe hairstyle I've sported in most of my other progress pictures. It's guessably not my favorite anymore, but it provides a much more comparable point of reference than my sideswept hair would in the second photo (which embellishes the density).

Not much noticeable improvement outside of, perhaps, my crown, and I know I'm not completely done regrowing there: I still feel shorter hairs spouting whenever I run my fingers through it.

Sidenote: how punchable does my mouth look now without facial hair? I'm sure I'll get used to the clean-shaven appearance over time, though.

IMG_4351.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4352.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4353.jpg?width=492&height=655

Slightly more improvement density-wise around my hairline. Again, I'd be mostly content even at a standstill since my last report—for the most part. The center of my hairline is still gappy around the left side, but it's decreasingly noticeable—and unnoticeable depending on how I style my hair.

Speaking of which, the head-on photo shows my new low-maintenance hairstyle: an asymmetrical sideswept fringe undercut, inspired by Charlie Cox. Not that I expect to ever capture his suavity, but I can at least try replicating his hair. It helps me blend in my right-lateral hairline cowlick, flaunt my now-juvenile-looking hairline while masking the above-described gap, and show a healthy-looking flow of hair on my left side—the gestalt of which is a distinguished look.

Most likely not my best hairstyle overall, but it's probably the best one at this length without using any hair products. For special occasions, however, I'd coif it diferently; I fancy a sideswept quiff or ivy-league cut, for example.

That's been my actual journey for these past-several months: learning how to arrange my hair. I've already arrived at my original destination insofar as hair restoration goes; since then, a new door has opened for a hair-optimization journey. That one may never definitively end, nor should I want it to: my possible destinations are abound (as I intended for them to be), and they'll only broaden further the longer I grow my hair.

I'll never find an unequivocally ideal hairstyle since that's wildly subjective; however, my hair should always at least look better than it did with my once-default buzzcuts, if only by consensus.

I'll post my next (and likely final) obligatory progress report three months from now, and none of us should expect any major transformation by then—other than refining my hairstyle further, perhaps. The latter is not what this thread is mainly about, but maybe it'll inspire others depending on how aesthetic it looks. That's the actual goal, at the end of the day, as I've said from the get-go—not just fuller hair, but better-looking hair.

Edited by Trichotrophy
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

12 months

A lot can change in a year. A lot does for better or worse in our personal lives, however gradually or dramatically; apropos to our hair-restoration journeys, everything that can change does so in that period of time, usually dramatically and almost always for the better. Whether we're starting hair-loss medications or recovering from a hair transplant, it's how long we're told to wait for our full outcome.

I'm in a happier overall place now since that medical trip—both as a careerist and person—but the most pronounced change is on my pate.

A year later, I look and feel like a new person. People now mistake me for a college kid, whereas a year ago my then-bald crown was hint enough I was a bit long in the tooth for those days. I get more likes and matches on dating apps. I now have an assortment of hair-styling products, most of which are stored in a drawer that—just as recent as last year—I stowed my hair fibers and electric razor (a holdover of the DIY-haircut days of 2020) in.

That doesn't describe the psychomoral arc Hollywood wants from screenwriters, now does it? If anything, I feel smugger now, and that's not a flattering trait for heroes to have. But this is real life; and unlike Superman, we can preen and style our hair however we want to.

But enough about the year-long self-reflection for now. You want to see how my hair looks after my last progress report three months ago. It doesn't look appreciably thicker; if anything, the volume might appear thinner because of my recent haircut and one of my seasonal sheds. But I promised one last update at the year-long mark, and my words alone wouldn't sate everyone's curiosity.

IMG_4813.jpg?width=492&height=655IMG_4824.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4815.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4818.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4816.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4820.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4822.jpg?width=492&height=655

IMG_4830.jpg?width=492&height=655IMG_4828.jpg?width=492&height=655IMG_4827.jpg?width=492&height=655

To claim I'm satisfied with the results would make the understatement of the year for this board, but most of my celebration was done six months ago. The halfway point when I made my timeline grids, when my regrowth started plateauing.

image.png.5fb8878318a3fdc6db77f28121b3efdf.png

image.thumb.png.cbba4984009edd1fe351caf7753a2206.png

Not that I didn't have further regrowth, but none of it warranted further changes to that timeline. Further improvements looked more like touch-ups, not the makeover that evolved month-by-month during that first semester.

No complaints on my part, however, as I've said on repeat; I just wanted to reiterate that if you were disappointed about this standstill.

And what sane person could complain about this? Especially if you were in my shoes three years ago; that's when my overarching hair-restoration journey started.

IMG_0804.jpg?width=492&height=655IMG_0750.jpg?width=492&height=655

That was my pre-finasteride and -minoxidil baseline. In the first picture, I'm bordered on shaving territory; the second was my hideous attempt at growing that hair out, which wasn't even half the length I rock now.

Fast forward three years later.

image.png.e4e9adad6d545d46b6bbeb16ee962025.png

If you were to tell me three years ago that I'd be in that photo, I'd assume it's either a forgotten high-school picture, a long-lost relative (most of whom on my mother's side are blessedly shaggy), or a masterful Photoshop job of myself. Maybe you could have even convinced me that I'd wear a hair system, though I probably never would've actually deigned to using one. Not every explanation would wash when I'm sober, but they all would've felt more believable than the current truth: that it's authentically me, and all that hair is natural.

Three years ago, I debated whether to shave or continue making do with a military-short buzzcut. Two years ago, I recovered enough on my regimen to strictly debate how short to buzz my hair and when to use hair fibers. Now? I have a welter of different hair-styling options.

A quiff or pompadour for special occasions, perhaps. I'll settle for an asymmetrical fringe hairdo when I'm feeling lazy, thank you very much. Maybe a slickback when it becomes long enough. A manbun isn't out of the question, either, if my new workplace allows it; an ivy-league cut will suffice if not. I should experiment with the French crop, too.

I have all these options and more in real life now. In 2020, I only had them when customizing video-game characters.

Back then, I truly underestimated the difference that hair-restoration options and styling can make, and that's why I took as long as I did simply to hop on finasteride. I knew I couldn't recover all my lost hair, and I once resigned myself to balding while underappreciating the illusion of unthinned hair I could achieve.

I hope no one else stays in a similar limbo before. Not going to pretend everyone can get a second chance at full hair; some might've waited too late (as I almost did), less fortunate people might have extremely aggressive MPB genes, and there are other, rare but existent hair-loss anomalies that are simply incurable (i.e., alopecia universalis). Most of us can make the difference between movie-star hair and full-on balding depending on what treatments we seek, and it's better done sooner than later.

I don't know what future treatments I might take. Maybe I'll get greedy and round it out a bit whenever hair-cloning is available to the general public. Part of me also wants to contemplate a beard transplant if I have enough donor grafts. All I know is I've restored enough hair on my dome, and that concludes this journey.

Edited by Trichotrophy
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Well Done 1

• Administrators

This is an incredible journey 

7F8D8995-C024-4EB3-89D8-B98E6D4339E6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Great write-up and congrats on the beautiful head of hair! Nader seems to be a magician and I'm all in on him for a consultation but I'm having a lot of issues getting him to respond. It's already been 15-20 days since my first submission and since then I submitted another consultation form, submitted 2 emails and left a voicemail. Anyone have any other advice?