Recipient area not looking great (8 days post procedure)

2 hours ago, zerocool said:

5 weeks update:

I've experienced shock loss to previously transplanted hair (i.e. hair from HT #1 has now shed). The growth is patchy overall (which is fine, I guess), but the center of my scalp is quite bold, and it seems to match the same area that had the infection. Below are photos from 7 days post (infected), from today, and before the 2nd transplant. 

Q: I'm ok with temporary shock loss. This is something I was aware of before the procedure. However, how likely is it that the infection caused permanent shock loss? 

7 days post:

IMG_6848.thumb.jpeg.225004942cf63f0b73b6c70708d9b9bc.jpeg.

5 weeks post:

1094186201_ScreenShot2022-07-20at14_07_53.thumb.png.c6d24e9d1905e5d96cb4244063ecf5ee.png

Six years after first transplant; before second transplant: 

before.thumb.jpeg.a7b4b9db9319a0703319bb2b1388751e.jpeg

That’s the magic question. If people knew exactly what causes hair graft survival to the dot I think we could make every single one perfect. However, I don’t think we know until time has passed.

permanent shock loss or collateral damage depends on the technique of the surgery and whether you had transected grafts, some thinner hairs miniaturizing, and many other factors.

i think as long as your dermis was the only skin layer affected, you should be fine, however; if it was a deep rooted infection maybe a few hairs could fail … maybe not. Just give it time and don’t let the stress get to you. You’re on your way to new hairs so don’t let this bother you too much. What ls done is done. 

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• 5 weeks later...

Update us! :)

In a retrospect - 

1. the infected skin was quite small and located in a rear position - I don't think it'll greatly affect your end-result.

2. indeed, it was not a necrosis like me (and others) tended to insist :) 

3. I hope the dermatologist who told you it's an infection was experienced enough and unbiased

4. yes, waiting for updates. you deserve a good result!

• Like 1

8.5 weeks update:

I began using Rogaine at 6 weeks to speed up the resolution of the shock loss I suffered to the center of my scalp. I plan to apply it 2Xday only to the shock loss area and perform a very gradual withdrawal in about 4-5 months once I've achieved most of the growth. I'm also taking MSM 2g (as per @Melvin- Moderator's shock loss post), Biotin 750mg, and other vitamins I know I'm deficient in like B12, Vitamin E, and Folic Acid (unrelated to the HT).

There remains minor redness in the places that were infected, as well as ~20 grafts that didn't shed because I believe they are just too thick and got lodged in the scalp (possibly in the slightly scarred skin tissue). The infection caused my scalp to heal differently compared to my first transplant 6 years ago.

At this point I don't see any growth (as expected), but when zooming in you can see lots of small hairs that were initially white and wispy and are gradually turning black. I believe that this is either transplanted hair, shock loss hair, or both, that's now starting to grow (this could also be native miniaturised hair, but I doubt it would have survived the shock loss). If that's true, these hairs will become more visible in 2-4 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Edited by zerocool
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zerocool said:

8.5 weeks update:

I began using Rogaine at 6 weeks to speed up the resolution of the shock loss I suffered to the center of my scalp. I plan to apply it 2Xday only to the shock loss area and perform a very gradual withdrawal in about 4-5 months once I've achieved most of the growth. I'm also taking MSM 2g (as per @Melvin- Moderator's shock loss post), Biotin 750mg, and other vitamins I know I'm deficient in like B12, Vitamin E, and Folic Acid (unrelated to the HT).

There remains minor redness in the places that were infected, as well as ~20 grafts that didn't shed because I believe they are just too thick and got lodged in the scalp (possibly in the slightly scarred skin tissue). The infection caused my scalp to heal differently compared to my first transplant 6 years ago.

At this point I don't see any growth (as expected), but when zooming in you can see lots of small hairs that were initially white and wispy and are gradually turning black. I believe that this is either transplanted hair, shock loss hair, or both, that's now starting to grow (this could also be native miniaturised hair, but I doubt it would have survived the shock loss). If that's true, these hairs will become more visible in 2-4 weeks. Fingers crossed.

The trauma that was caused to your dermis sometimes helps heal some of the miniaturized hairs to grow. Its not likely it'll be there permanently. But it could be a temporary side effect of native (weaker) hairs "returning" because of the healing your skin is doing (growth factors and such).

However, its such a minor amount of native hairs that return its barely noticeable and itll go back to its miniaturized state over time.

• 4 weeks later...

3 months update:

I’ve been using Minoxi on the shock loss area for the last 6 weeks and it’s beginning to recover. Also seeing some initial signs of growth in other places. 

Hoping that the main boost will come in in the next month or so as it does for most people. 

344FADF6-7189-4C06-9CE5-324FDC394F63.thumb.jpeg.567d7507eebae77f37650be3c0f369d7.jpeg6EFFD51E-A423-4A6C-A72F-83683CEDB8A0.thumb.jpeg.ea3db9ceac92999ee0cb81d56e031454.jpeg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, zerocool said:

3 months update:

I’ve been using Minoxi on the shock loss area for the last 6 weeks and it’s beginning to recover. Also seeing some initial signs of growth in other places. 

Hoping that the main boost will come in in the next month or so as it does for most people. 

344FADF6-7189-4C06-9CE5-324FDC394F63.thumb.jpeg.567d7507eebae77f37650be3c0f369d7.jpeg6EFFD51E-A423-4A6C-A72F-83683CEDB8A0.thumb.jpeg.ea3db9ceac92999ee0cb81d56e031454.jpeg

looks like its coming along slowly.

Would you mind giving some more details on your operation (graft count, # of hairs, pre/post op pics, etc.)?

Edited by Vann

3 hours ago, zerocool said:

It was 3800 grafts. You can see pre and post op pictures earlier in the thread. 
I wasn’t thinking it’s slow. I think it’s as expected. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it’s progressing very nicely actually 

• Like 1

The good thing is that the entire recipient area looks healed and clean now.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, zerocool said:

Procedure was with Dr. Maras at HDC. 
Here are a couple of pre-op photos. These were taken with less harsh lighting conditions compared to the one above. 

69F265E5-2530-40BB-A3D9-CFEC1206BC77.thumb.jpeg.8de9431fc5c305581a19ce949c868c9a.jpeg

B5A6DF51-A984-4137-89AB-D4AC27078CDA.thumb.jpeg.fe50f665acb6c495bb800fe51077fdfe.jpeg

Do you have any photos before the operation with any markings or graft counts and immediate post op photos?

I think it just takes some time to grow past the 3-4 month mark. Usually, some people just start to grow some hair, some people dont shed at all, and some people grow late.

I think in time your hairs will start sprouting. Dont fret too much on it now. What is done is done and time will tell. 

In regard to your shockloss, im about 3 months and I am starting to recover from it. I did PRP in the beginning so that could be why, but everyone heals differently. But my hair doesnt look too different from where you are at in terms of the transplanted hairs growing. I just have curly hair so it looks better with some lighting. I think with time your hair will thicken up nicely.

Edited by Vann
  • Like 2

• Moderators

It's only 3.5 months. Give it some time.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hi, Zerocool! At 3.5 months, virtually none of my shocked hair had begun to grow back. Looks like you’re seeing some growth though, which is great!

For me, I wasn’t until around 5-5.5 months before I began to notice the overall improvement, and felt like I was beginning to be in a better position than before surgery.

Try not to think about it too much until you reach the 5 and 6 month marks. I know it’s easier said than done. I wore a hat during the period you’re in now and don’t think I felt like I could take it off in public until almost exactly 5.5 months. And even then, I knew I was in a better position, but I still felt uneasy about it.

Remember, we all grow at slightly different speeds, but 3.5 months is still very very early.

Edited by Parasol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recovery from shock loss can be charted on a curve, although regrowth just begins at the 3-4 month mark, it often takes more like 6-9 months to see a more visual difference.

• Like 3

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

Recovery from shock loss can be charted on a curve, although regrowth just begins at the 3-4 month mark, it often takes more like 6-9 months to see a more visual difference.

Does shock loss normally recover more slowly than the growth of newly transplanted hair?

It really depends on the status or the condition of the hair that was shocked…if the shocked hair is in a state of diffusion, then yes it probably will take longer to recover as compared to new grafts that are terminal DHT resistant hair that is healthy hair.

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

4 months:

Definitely improving on one hand, but still very patchy. The center of the scalp is lagging and the area that was infected (about 2 sq/cm) is almost completely bold. 

4 months is still very early so I’m continuing to wait patiently for a more uniform/dense outcome. 

Bold patch where the infection occurred:

07B2B0B9-59B9-4B94-800F-0F017D197374.thumb.jpeg.9774295b4623ad222d41954912bb7ea7.jpeg

Before (top) and +4 months (below) under sunlight:

DDE91611-48F1-4569-8181-66EAEE91E863.thumb.jpeg.384b62b24fe3c473ee256f2fce210333.jpeg

7523E381-3C91-4FA1-8976-879D2D1A136C.thumb.jpeg.ae838a049bfdd50b2c5c15923449a0dc.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zerocool said:

4 months:

Definitely improving on one hand, but still very patchy. The center of the scalp is lagging and the area that was infected (about 2 sq/cm) is almost completely bold. 

4 months is still very early so I’m continuing to wait patiently for a more uniform/dense outcome. 

Bold patch where the infection occurred:

07B2B0B9-59B9-4B94-800F-0F017D197374.thumb.jpeg.9774295b4623ad222d41954912bb7ea7.jpeg

Before (top) and +4 months (below) under sunlight:

DDE91611-48F1-4569-8181-66EAEE91E863.thumb.jpeg.384b62b24fe3c473ee256f2fce210333.jpeg

7523E381-3C91-4FA1-8976-879D2D1A136C.thumb.jpeg.ae838a049bfdd50b2c5c15923449a0dc.jpeg

The skin in your recipient area looks like its still healing slowly so thats a good sign (last photo and super close zoom in). Slowly but surely. Thanks for the update.