Thailand hair transplant journey - 2468 grafts - Caucasian male

Jpaw

11 hours ago, eobard said:

Thanks for your reply, Jpaw.

Was DHI requested by you, or was that the only option?  I think DHI, for me anyway, really moves the needle.

Did you meet with them in person for the consult, or was it a Zoom/FaceTime meeting?  I'm in Tenessee, US, so there's no way I can go to Thailand just for a consult.

Also, was there much of a language barrier, i.e., how was her/their English? 😛

Could you elaborate on why DHI is so important? Thanks!

I did some research over the months, and there’s a few attractive take-away’s for me.

- DHI is, in fact, FUE… only the implantation method is diff’t

- healing time is faster with DHI than with FUE

- I’ve read that there is less scarring than with FUE (I’ve only read this recently; I’d do more research on this!)

- I prefer the harvesting method of DHI over FUE.  With FUE, after the removal of the grafts, they are placed in a solution (to keep em from drying out and dying), and then implanted into the incisions the docs made earlier.  With DHI, a DHI-implanter tool is used to remove the graft, once the grafts are extracted (FUE), they are loaded into the DHI implanter pen, and implanted into the scalp.  This supposedly minimizes the time the grafts are out of the body. 

- its a myth that grafts die immediately once its outside the body.  Apparently, grafts can theoretically last for hours outside the body.  Whether or not that’s true, that’s at least one area of DHI I wouldn’t have to worry about.

The debate rages on as to which method is “better’, which yields a better result; and I’ve even noticed some people say there’s no real difference in results.  But from my own research, I’ve seen more consistent results with DHI.  To each their own, I guess.

The bottom line is, it doesn’t really matter which technique is “better”;  it just really depends on how skilled the dr. is.

(Edit: corrected to include more accurate information.)

Edited by eobard

33 minutes ago, eobard said:

Jpaw - I 'm a little confused after reading Hairtran's site.  I know Dr. Patty uses a DHI implanter pen for the implantation portion, but were any incisions made on your scalp after the extraction of the grafts?

I can't remember what order she did things. I was just so tired during the procedure. I wish I remembered it all and could give more details of each step

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been 3 months. The right side is looking good. It didn't shed much to begin with. The left side shed more and I can see some hairs poking through. Still many completely bald areas too though. I'm always worried it's a failure, but I'm not gonna judge till 3 more months

IMG_1663358110679.jpg

IMG_1663358032086.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corbyn said:

@Jpaw

Hi J. Congrats on your progress. I don't mind Hairtran but am unable to find more solid reviews of them online. What were the other clinics in Thailand or elsewhere did you consider and why did you finally decide on Hairtran? How much did you pay them for your procedure?

I recently came across BEQ clinic and made contact with them. I'm a Norwood 6 and they've asked me to go to their clinic in Thailand for a hair diagnosis first. This is even after I've provided them with the usual pictures. The reason why I'm quite keen on BEQ clinic is because I like how the new hair on their transplant patients looks like. However I am unable to find any reviews of their clinic online apart from what's stated on their website.

I was previously very keen on Dr Pong who I believe, based on this forum and elsewhere, was a pupil of Dr Path. Dr Pong's website has a dedicated section on thousands of his patients hair transplant before and after pictures, which also includes the hair growth after a year. However I have always been uncomfortable with the way Dr Pong's patients hair looks after their respective transplants (just my personal preference). Dr Path is way too expensive and I have yet to contact their clinic to see if I am a suitable candidate for them.

As for Eugenix clinics in India, their prices are just too exhorbitant for me. They've done brilliantly with their marketing strategies from the videos on youtube and elsewhere but their pricing is just too steep. 

A few things bothered me with Eugenix.

1) Their prices increased quite rapidly over a few years. 

2) I could be wrong but they have ambassadors across a few forums advocating for the clinic and I'm not entirely convinced about what they have said in response to people's queries

3) For the price Eugenix is now charging, one can easily go to Turkey, have a holiday and get the hair transplant done

Did you communicate with BEQ clinic or done any transplants with them before? Would appreciate any feedback, comments and advice that other forum members may have for me.

https://www.facebook.com/beqclinic/

https://beqclinic.com/en/homepage/

The only other clinic I considered was Dr laorwong. He quoted me $4000 for 2000 grafts. Hairtran had a deal for about $2650 for 2500 grafts, which is what I felt like I needed from looking at other hair transplants.

I met with her and did a consultation and immediately trusted them. It's a smaller office that only does one surgery a day and Dr patty works on them all. They also have a YouTube channel with before and after results which I can't understand much because its in Thai, but they all look good. They also have a density guarantee. So if youre not satisfied with the density after a year, they will do a touch up for free.

I have no idea anything about BEQ clinic, or Eugenix. I looked at BEQ and they look great, but they are very straight across. Hairtran does small zigzags which I was nervous about at first but I think it ends up looking more natural in the end in my opinion

9 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@Jpaw for three months you are just about to head out of the ugly duckling phase or close to it. It's looking great my friend and I look forward to following your updates!

Thx!! I wish I could speed up time 

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:18 PM, Jpaw said:

Dr Laorwang was my other choice as well. He quoted me 2000 grafts for $4000. Dr pattys deal is 2500 grafts for about $2600. I felt like I needed 2500 grafts, and the price was cheaper anyways. 

I believe Thai baht cash, cc, wire transfer. I had to use two cards tho due to limits on my card/bank.

Yes they use DHI, with a WAW punch machine for extraction. The back of my head looked better than most people's after a day.

The consult was good, they drew on potential hairlines and talked about the process. I really trusted them after meeting them. I'm sure Dr Laorwang is great also. If you're in Thailand maybe give them both an in person consultation.  

My donor was good. They never mentioned it's great or anything. It was it's typical white guy donor I'd say.

No problemo

Hey wondering y u didn’t consider or look at Pathomvanich?

On 9/21/2022 at 2:17 AM, Corbyn said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned about small zigzags cos yes, they do end up looking more natural. Dr Pong's patients from THT Clinic all seem to have the same hair after their HT. It looks like a weave and all of them comb their hair side parting. I have seen Dr Laorwong's name here and elsewhere. I'll probably have to search for more info on him and his work online. 

You mentioned Dr. pong is Dr. Paths pupil. Do Dr. paths operations look like Dr. Pongs operations when that are done? Like the weave u mentioned?

3 minutes ago, Iceee222 said:

Haha ok. Just wondering cuz he seems to be considered the best there. What do u think of him and his work? (if u did any research on him)

I only compared Laorwang and patty. And after meeting at hairtran I didn't see the need to look at other doctors I guess. I don't know anything about Dr path, I just looked him up and his before and after pictures look pretty good

19 minutes ago, Jpaw said:

I only compared Laorwang and patty. And after meeting at hairtran I didn't see the need to look at other doctors I guess. I don't know anything about Dr path, I just looked him up and his before and after pictures look pretty good

Ok sweet thx. Was price the final decision between laorwang and patty or did u like patty’s work better ?

6 hours ago, Iceee222 said:

Ok sweet thx. Was price the final decision between laorwang and patty or did u like patty’s work better ?

Laorwang was $4000 for 2000 grafts which he said I needed. Patty had a special $2650 (95000 baht) for 2500 grafts. Judging by all the other hair transplants I've seen. I felt I needed 2500 rather than 2000 grafts. Plus it was cheaper and she seemed great. So it was a no brainer to me

7 minutes ago, Jpaw said:

Laorwang was $4000 for 2000 grafts which he said I needed. Patty had a special $2650 (95000 baht) for 2500 grafts. Judging by all the other hair transplants I've seen. I felt I needed 2500 rather than 2000 grafts. Plus it was cheaper and she seemed great. So it was a no brainer to me

Right on thx man!

10 hours ago, Corbyn said:

This is Dr Path's gallery. I recall seeings loads of before and after pics on his previous website.
https://dhthairclinic.com/review/

This is Dr Pong's gallery.
https://www.thaihairclinic.com/hair-transplant-before-after-photos/Caucasian/severe-male-pattern-baldness-Norwood-6-and-7

I'm not someone who follows the crowd. I use my senses and about 8 years ago I realized that Dr Pong's patients all have that similar weave like looking hair after the new hair has grown following the transplant. Hence I didn't want to go ahead with Dr Pong and was lurking on this forum every now and then to see if there's any new Dr whose work I would be impressed with. Then I came across BEQ clinic on youtube and there had like a miilion views for that clip.

And then i went on their facebook page but apart from that I cannot find any reviews of them at all. I did contact the clinic and they asked me to see them for a hair diagnosis. 

But @Melvin- Moderator recently made a good point on one of my posts where he said that the clinic is an unknown. So I'm guessing it's not recognised by the hair transplant association? Whats the name of this higher authority that recognises which doctor and which practice is legit? 

I get what you mean cos whenever anyone mentions Thailand and HT in the same sentence, the top 2 names would be Dr Path and Dr Pong. Dr Kongkiat Laorwong is a close third. so yeah. 

Right on thanks for your explanation I appreciate it! I just looked over the before and afters I do see why your saying. And yea path seems to be good. 

I will definitely check out the place you had your surgery from!

yea good point about the clinic you went to not being recognized probably why they are underrated 

29 minutes ago, Corbyn said:

i have yet to go for any HT. im still researching.

Idk y I thought u did my apologies. Who else u been looking at?

I was looking at Dr. Pinto and to de Freitas along w Bisanga but pinto and Freitas wait list so long and Bisanga requires in person visit.  

started to look at a few more such as bicer, Ahmad, Mwamba, feriduni

Edited by Iceee222
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Corbyn said:

I'm looking at Asian doctors especially in Thailand. I've mentioned elsewhere why Eunegix is a no-go for me and Dr Zarev from Bulgaria is too pricey for me. Fingers crossed and no offence but I really honestly don't want to be like some guys here who have hundreds of post counts and have a wealth of information about hair transplants and the accompanying nitty gritty but are still undecided even after spending years on this forum. 

So it's Thailand for me. Dr Path is too ex and Dr Pong's patients all have weave looking hair so either Hairtain Dr Laowong Kongkiat, BEQ clinic or another Thailand clinic. I did look at Turkey briefly but there's just so many clinics and youtube channels that I honestly don't know which one I can entrust my scalp with to grow back my hair.

Honestly man I feel you I feel like I’m getting to the point where I’m getting to nitty griddy. I’ve seen plenty of docs with great reviews but getting to into the research. If it makes you feel any better about turkey the top 2 based on reviews here and other places are Pekiner and bicer. Pekiner does every aspect of surgery and bicer does most everything and has good technicians. Go ahead and take a look let me know what u think!