Hairline Recommendation

I’ve had 2 in person consultations in the last 3 months. Attached are the hairline each doctor recommended. There’s obviously more to deciding which doctor to choose but I thought I would ask if anyone had a recommendation on which hairline they like better. Hair is obviously combed/messed up a little different in each pic.

Hairline 1: 2200-2500 grafts

Hairline 2: 2500 grafts

88BFEB6C-9E0A-427B-A0C5-08D81ED15BE9.jpeg

287A6B73-D50D-4669-A59E-085877432BF8.jpeg

Personally i do not like the slightly flared angle so i prefer the 2nd picture. That said, for that many grafts, i would expect it to be extremely dense packed where hairline 2 was drawn. 

I would however say your temple points look a bit more washed out, having them reconstructed somewhat may help with the result visually too. 

• Moderators

Of those two I would pick #2 because the curved down corners that is shown is #1 always looks fake and is an easy way to spot that the person had a transplant. A lot of guys want #1 because it looks like they are getting a lower hairline, but what they should be looking for is one that looks real and natural.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

9 hours ago, FrontalTuft said:

I’ve had 2 in person consultations in the last 3 months. Attached are the hairline each doctor recommended. There’s obviously more to deciding which doctor to choose but I thought I would ask if anyone had a recommendation on which hairline they like better. Hair is obviously combed/messed up a little different in each pic.

Hairline 1: 2200-2500 grafts

Hairline 2: 2500 grafts

88BFEB6C-9E0A-427B-A0C5-08D81ED15BE9.jpeg

287A6B73-D50D-4669-A59E-085877432BF8.jpeg

Hairline 2 looks more natural. You should go with hairline 2.

In 10 and a half years on the forum I would say the second pic is the type of hairline I've seen 90% of the time. As long as it all goes ok that will look great when it grows in and 'puffs out'. The doctor probably wants to use some of those 2500 grafts to pack the frontal third in behind the hairline too. 

I do understand the appeal of the first though with it being lower and the way the HT would connect with the sides/temple. 

Which doctor do you prefer? If you prefer the one who drew the higher hairline, you could show him the other pic and ask what he thinks and whether he'd consider it.

Age, level of loss, quality of donor, if you're on the meds etc. usually comes into it. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

If you want, just get the doctor to draw another hairline that sits lower on the temporal corner area but is more straight if you prefer that design from hairline 2. That said, maybe you need to push the hair back because i don't know why but your temporal corner doesn't look like it would need 2500 grafts just along the frontal hairline based on those images. 

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Hairline one but with the top temples on either side a tad higher. 👌

I like this idea.  I think #1 but you could go slightly more conservative and push the temples slightly up.  This way you still have a nice transition.

I feel the temples make a huge difference; when those corners are slightly in and transition better, it gives a nice younger look.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FrontalTuft said:

Thanks everyone. Also have a front view as well. 

F4C2C413-7B40-4425-B208-27465A18484A.jpeg

As i said above, i think it's also important YOU have an input on what you want. Imo, flared temporal points aren't good. I prefer the 2nd image as a result, however, i feel like you could get a 3rd hairline design that follows the first picture but doesn't flare out at the end and stays more shallow and straight. 

Right now, you have only had 2 consultations and i think it's important to share where they were. The hairline design is only a small part of making a hair transplant great and the main part is choosing the right clinic. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, NARMAK said:

i feel like you could get a 3rd hairline design that follows the first picture but doesn't flare out at the end and stays more shallow and straight.

Yes. I was just going to say that as well. That's what I would want.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I think both will look natural if done densely enough.  And I think the graft quantities you listed seem pretty close to accurate.  The minor difference here isn't really going to make an impact to anyone outside of you.  Whichever you prefer is what you should go with.  The most important thing is that the Dr. pack it densely enough.  Neither design is overly flat/low or odd looking.  My personal preference is number 1, but number 2 could look great too if done correctly.

Edited by John1991