transplanted hairs falling out

Guest wanthairs

Guest wanthairs

It seems that recently I have been reading many posts where men who have had good transplants with good doctors find that their transplanted hair starts falling out after a couple of years. Although this has not happened to me, it is very worrying to think that after being bald and having spent all this money and effort that the hair can still fall out, even if they were taken from the safe zone. I know that many people can confuse their existing hair with transplanted har, but I have checked with some and they are sure it is only their new hair that fell out .

Can anyone chime in here to say if they have experienced this and can and Doctors chime in with their thoughts on this?

wanthairs, I agree that more information needs to be addressed on this issue. There always is uncertainty with transplants (future recession and "permanent" donor hair to name a few), but with all the recent posts on this topic it almost seems like something else is at play? I would love to think everyone is just dealing with temporary shedding, but I'm not going to kid myself....Nobody wants to have to worry about losing precious grafts 1 to 3 years post operative. This is extremely disconcerting.

It's sure worth looking into, but I find it hard to believe that if this were a semi-common phenomenon we would just be reading about it now. Shouldn't this have been a common complaint for at least a couple of decades if this were so?

I'm not inferring these guys are fibbing, but there *may* have been one guy losing his grafts legitimately for some unknown reason. Others read it and start to panic wondering if it can happen to them. Guys start examinging their HT's and think they see some thinning and run to post the same thing. Then it starts a panic that feeds on itself.

I'm just saying this MAY be the reason.

Guest wanthairs

This is not a common complaint, but it does happen sometimes, which means it could happen to anybody, and it would be nice if we could hear from some doctors who may have come across this and what their thoughts are.

Originally posted by wanthairs:

This is not a common complaint, but it does happen sometimes, which means it could happen to anybody, and it would be nice if we could hear from some doctors who may have come across this and what their thoughts are.

Wouldn't we be having guys who had transplants from the 90's and early 2000 mentioning it happened to them though? Why is this just happening now?

Why do you think transplanted hairs don't fall out? Do you think every hair on the back of your head is dht resistant?

Originally posted by Severn:

Wouldn't we be having guys who had transplants from the 90's and early 2000 mentioning it happened to them though? Why is this just happening now?

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by HairHope:

Why do you think transplanted hairs don't fall out? Do you think every hair on the back of your head is dht resistant?

I assumed they were all DHT resistant from everything I've read. And I'm certainly not saying you can't lose them even if they are transplanted from the correct part of the scalp. I just don't understand why there seems to be a rash of cases like this coming forward right now. I believe Bill made a post wondering the same thing.

But yea, I'd like a top doc to address this in a post. But if they haven't seen any cases like this in their practice they wouldn't really have anything to offer. Other than maybe the grafts were taken too high close to the balding area. (Just a guess)

I'd like to see that addressed too, I have seen some scars that were IMO very high up near the crown by some top clinics. That makes me nervous.

Originally posted by Severn:

But yea, I'd like a top doc to address this in a post. But if they haven't seen any cases like this in their practice they wouldn't really have anything to offer. Other than maybe the grafts were taken too high close to the balding area. (Just a guess)

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

I also feel I am going through something similair at times, with hairs in my comb on every other stroke. It could also be we have started closely anaylizing and scrutinizing every hair that falls and associating it to hair loss rather than the natural hair cycle. But it would be good if some Dr could elaborate on this issue, if there is an issue and not just paranoia ????

i also have noticed some of my thick trancplanted hair falling out in the last month and im 9 months post opp, i know they are definatly the transplanted hairs and not my native becuase i can tell the diffrence from thickness

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

Severn,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the 'high' majority of hair transplants that were performed in the 90s and early 2000s were FUSS procedures and not FUE. My 3500 FUE procedure performed in 2007 was ultimately a complete failure even though the transplanted hair initially grew out beautifully. The only other HT failure cases that I have come across were from patients that underwent the FUE procedure. In another post, Bill posted an article authored by Dr. Feller that is by far the most informative that I have read about the FUE procedure and the 'three forces' that a follicle must endure during the extraction process. I am lucky that I have a large donor site because my next procedure will DEFINITELY be FUSS! However, I wholeheartedly agree that the community needs some input from one of the HT Docs on this issue. Everytime I turn around I read about another HT DOC inventing a 'new' and 'innovative' FUE extraction device. Utilizing simple logic, what does that tell you about the 'true' nature of the FUE procedure. Hasson and Wong, who consistently have phenomenal results, do not even perform FUE. Go figure!

Prezident

That's a good point prez. I wasn't even looking to see if most of the cases were FUE vs. strip. If so, that's all it would take for me to wait for a few more years of FUE results before I would have one.

I also noticed Balboa had his done at Armani, and if I'm not mistaken just about all his FUE procedures are disasters.

Guest wanthairs

Still no docs have chimed in on this topic......Where are you ?????

Prezident...Im sorry to hear that your FUE procedure flopped. But this is what I mean. At first in grew in beautifully then feel out?

Why is this? I have heard the exact same thing with strip procedures too on a few cases.

Any docs, please give us your thoughts....or any other clients that have experienced this. I think this is one of the subjects rarely talked about that newbies need to be aware of, even though it may be rare.

• 2 months later...