Just How Necessary is Post Op Saline Spray and Other Cleaning Instructions?

I just wrapped up a 3 day repair surgery with Dr. Mwamba and am expecting a KILLER result. 

Surgery was Sat-Mon and I am flying back home tomorrow/Wednesday.

I am suppose to use saline spray every 15 minutes except while sleeping. I'm concerned because they confirmed I should even be using the spray every 15 minutes while at the airport and even on the plane. I honestly just don't know how realistic it is for me to spray every 15 minutes while I'm travelling. 

According to Mwamba, grafts are more or less basically secure by 18 hours post op, and they are 100% absolutely secure by 72 hours. Between 18 hours and 72 hours you would have to smack your head pretty hard to knock out grafts. Since I will already have passed the 18 hour mark when I reach the airport, I'm confused why I can't just skip spraying.

3 questions:

1) What's the worst that can happen if I spend 10 hours or so without spraying the grafts while I am traveling tomorrow?

2) If I do indeed need to keep spraying while at the airport and on the plane, any tips on how to do this without coming off as a total weirdo? I don't want strangers to see me take off my headcap, all my incisions and sh*t and spraying some mysterious substance on myself. 

3) More broadly, I was given a dizzying array of ointments and topicals and specific washing instructions for the 1st month. The post-op is a bit complex. Again, what's the worst that can happen if I don't follow all these post-op instructions?

This surgery was certainly a large investment and obviously I want to do everything within reason to maximize results. But I am also thinking pragmatically and realistically and am wondering what "worst-case scenarios" all this post op aftercare is trying to prevent?

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

I suspect the prescribed post-op aftercare regimens are mostly a bunch of fluff. This is supported by the fact that they tend to dramatically differ from clinic to clinic. I was also given saline sprays and a dizzying array of shampoos and lotions, and didn’t touch any of it. I just couldn't fathom why they would significantly help, since none of them had active ingredients. In my opinion all you need to do is: 1.) take the post-op antibiotic, and 2.) don't disturb the grafts. If you do those two things you will be fine.

Nevertheless, my "official" recommendation is to follow the instructions of your clinic.

By the way, grafts are definitely not 100% secure by 72 hours. 9 days is the minimum according to a scientific study commonly referenced on here (https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/graft-anchoring-in-hair-transplantation/).

• Like 1

The saline spray i believe is mostly there to help with stopping the scabs building up too much and making it easier to get rid of them on the first headwash and also i think it helps make sure the areas regularly cleaned of any dirt etc. with a clean solution whereas water from a tap etc. can contain germs that may infect the area. 

Every 15 mins is excessive though imo. I got told every 2hrs by Eugenix and then because i had a more dry scalp thing, i got told to do it more hourly except sleeping. Now as for travelling on a plane, i wasn't really sat anywhere private so couldn't do it at the economy seats and because i'm a bit taller, it was a risk getting up and going to the toilet where its also more cramped than anything but i tried to be really careful and go every hour or so and spray the area with saline and then return to the seat careful not to bump my head. 

Honestly, i think it's helpful and i tried to do it to maximise the results i get in any way that i could from following that post-op care for keeping the area as healthy and clean as possible. 

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor

On my flight back from Eugenix to Australia in January I was spraying my grafts every two hours. All 8,723 of them! 🥳 I just didn't care and nor did the passengers around me. It was obvious that I had had a hair transplant anyway. One of the airline stewards actually asked me about my hair/head while I was waiting to use the bathroom. He was slightly receding and was being prescribed topical finasteride from Dr Path in Thailand he told me as it turned out. I told him about my story, this forum and he bumped me up into business class! True story. Remember you are never going to see these people ever again if you are concerned about spraying the grafts post op in public. I had gone through too much torture from 18 and I had spent a small fortune on this procedure (and the previous two botched ones plus all the hair pieces and plastic surgery prior to this). I wasn't going to let anyone or anything compromise the post op outcome of this one! All the best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with the gentlemen above. 

It's good to take care of it for your own comfort, but don't go too crazy, like 'Oh, I didn't spray at the exact 15 minute mark, I'm screwed!'. All things in moderation. And really, guys travelling post-op are more common than you think. If nothing else, it comes off as ballsy that you are doing this in public and not trying to hide it like it's some shameful, terrible secret. 

Also, it's just saline spray on the noggin', it's not like you are picking your teeth or anything. How is it any different from applying sunscreen on the beach in front of everybody, eh?

UPDATE: i am now at the airport and am relieved that all my anxiety and worry was unfounded. 

Everyone is too wrapped up in their own stuff to notice me spraying. 

Also even though i feel really conspicious and out of place with my headwrap thing on, no one is giving me odd looks about that either. 

17 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I just wrapped up a 3 day repair surgery with Dr. Mwamba and am expecting a KILLER result. 

Surgery was Sat-Mon and I am flying back home tomorrow/Wednesday.

I am suppose to use saline spray every 15 minutes except while sleeping. I'm concerned because they confirmed I should even be using the spray every 15 minutes while at the airport and even on the plane. I honestly just don't know how realistic it is for me to spray every 15 minutes while I'm travelling. 

According to Mwamba, grafts are more or less basically secure by 18 hours post op, and they are 100% absolutely secure by 72 hours. Between 18 hours and 72 hours you would have to smack your head pretty hard to knock out grafts. Since I will already have passed the 18 hour mark when I reach the airport, I'm confused why I can't just skip spraying.

3 questions:

1) What's the worst that can happen if I spend 10 hours or so without spraying the grafts while I am traveling tomorrow?

2) If I do indeed need to keep spraying while at the airport and on the plane, any tips on how to do this without coming off as a total weirdo? I don't want strangers to see me take off my headcap, all my incisions and sh*t and spraying some mysterious substance on myself. 

3) More broadly, I was given a dizzying array of ointments and topicals and specific washing instructions for the 1st month. The post-op is a bit complex. Again, what's the worst that can happen if I don't follow all these post-op instructions?

This surgery was certainly a large investment and obviously I want to do everything within reason to maximize results. But I am also thinking pragmatically and realistically and am wondering what "worst-case scenarios" all this post op aftercare is trying to prevent?

I'm glad you had your procedure carried out sucessfully. And I wish you the best result  possible. 🙏

That said, I never recommend being too optimistic especially when it comes to HT outcomes in general and more specifically repair surgeries. 

Have you seen Ajamilo's case ? He had a repair surgery with Dr. Mwamba too and the result was highly questionable. That said, I have also seen great work from Mwamba. 

But my experience has taught me that expecting a "killer result" is setting yourself up for disappointment. Being realistic, mentally very strong and prepared and patient is key when it comes to the post operative phase. 

Anyways, I wish you all the best bro and I hope your result will be as satistafactory as can be ! 👍

As for  grafts being secured and grafts  surviving, these 2  different things that do not necessarily correlate. 

ATP saline solution is not crucial but it is highly recommended and I have seen a  study  showing it does increase graft survival rate to some extent in most people. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...