3.5 months and little growth

Showing very little growth at 3.5 months post-op. Just a little bit worried. I’m seeing the start of some hairs coming out, but where there should be many more, they haven’t emerged yet. Thoughts?

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Coverdale said:

Showing very little growth at 3.5 months post-op. Just a little bit worried. I’m seeing the start of some hairs coming out, but where there should be many more, they haven’t emerged yet. Thoughts?

Everyone grows at a different rate. At 3.5 months post op you should be just coming out of the ugly duckling phase so don't stress. Patience is unfortunately key when it comes to do with anything hair restoration related. All the best!

It's a small blessing if ANY hair grows before the 6 month mark. Patience is your ally right now. Put a beanie on if you can't stand to look at it, but stop agonizing. The full result will show between Months 8-12. Nothing before Month 6 should be considered as indicative. 

2 hours ago, StillAlive said:

It's a small blessing if ANY hair grows before the 6 month mark. Patience is your ally right now. Put a beanie on if you can't stand to look at it, but stop agonizing. The full result will show between Months 8-12. Nothing before Month 6 should be considered as indicative. 

Sorry but I have to disagree with you about this particular issue. 

While it is very important to be PATIENT and calm during the post transplant process,  it is also very important to be realistic and objective. 

At the 3 months mark most people don't see any improvement at all. That is perfectly normal and expected.  Their recipient area looks the same way it looked before surgery. 

So the fact that your hair looks bad at 3 months is nothing you should be worried about. Stay patient and if you've done your due diligence and chosen a great clinic then trust the process like Melvin Lopez says. 

However, the 3 months mark is also the time when hairs are actually supposed to start growing. 

In over 95% of cases, the decider happens between the 3rd month and the 6th month. 

We have to be realistic here, your result at 6 month is VERY indicative of the final fully matured result you will have at 8-12 months. 

I have never seen a miracle happening between month 6 and month 12. If it looks bad at the 6 months, then there is still some room for slight marginal improvement of course (mostly in hair thickness and not so much in number of hairs that have popped). 

There are some "late bloomers" obviously. I have seen it happen over the years but this is extremely rare. Actually it as rare as people who do not shed the transplanted hairs post surgery....

Some doctors like Hasson & Wong and Feller & Bloxham actually report patients having additionnal maturation in hair thickness between month 12 and even month 18. So yes it does take time. 

But again being a late bloomer means having SOME noticeable growth already around the 5-6 months mark. It doesn't mean miracle growth coming out of nowhere at the 11th month mark on a result that looks like crap...That won't happen. 

I remember Dr. Lorenzo saying that 75% of patients in his practice get early growth around the 5th month mark and he's got plenty of documented cases on his channel. 

Also browse through this forum. There are thousands of results posted. Judge by yourself, in most cases the 6 months result is often very close to the final result...

Now of course, be patient, try to think about something else and don't lose hope. 

3.5 months is nothing. It is still considered very early and don't jump to conclusions. Try to focus on something else in life and reassess your situation at the 6 months mark. 

Edited by Unrealistic expectations
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Unrealistic expectations said:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you about this particular issue. 

While it is very important to be PATIENT and calm during the post transplant process,  it is also very important to be realistic and objective. 

At the 3 months mark most people don't see any improvement at all. That is perfectly normal and expected.  Their recipient area looks the same way it looked before surgery. 

So the fact that your hair looks bad at 3 months is nothing you should be worried about. Stay patient and if you've done your due diligence and chosen a great clinic then trust the process like Melvin Lopez says. 

However, the 3 months mark is also the time when hairs are actually supposed to start growing. 

In over 95% of cases, the decider happens between the 3rd month and the 6th month. 

We have to be realistic here, your result at 6 month is VERY indicative of the final fully matured result you will have at 8-12 months. 

I have never seen a miracle happening between month 6 and month 12. If it looks bad at the 6 months, then there is still some room for slight marginal improvement of course (mostly in hair thickness and not so much in number of hairs that have popped). 

There are some "late bloomers" obviously. I have seen it happen over the years but this is extremely rare. Actually it as rare as people who do not shed the transplanted hairs post surgery....

Some doctors like Hasson & Wong and Feller & Bloxham actually report patients having additionnal maturation in hair thickness between month 12 and even month 18. So yes it does take time. 

But again being a late bloomer means having SOME noticeable growth already around the 5-6 months mark. It doesn't mean miracle growth coming out of nowhere at the 11th month mark on a result that looks like crap...That won't happen. 

I remember Dr. Lorenzo saying that 75% of patients in his practice get early growth around the 5th month mark and he's got plenty of documented cases on his channel. 

Also browse through this forum. There are thousands of results posted. Judge by yourself, in most cases the 6 months result is often very close to the final result...

Now of course, be patient, try to think about something else and don't lose hope. 

3.5 months is nothing. It is still considered very early and don't jump to conclusions. Try to focus on something else in life and reassess your situation at the 6 months mark. 

I admit that it was wrong, I was exaggerating a little bit to make our friend feel better :)

• Administrators

I didn’t have any growth at 3.5 months, I’m 5 months and just now seeing growth. Be patient, it’s a marathon, not a race.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's only been a few weeks, but I would appreciate an update on your progress. :)

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

• 2 months later...