What is good density cm2 given my hair characteristics?

I am a Caucasian with pale skin. I have seen 3 HT docs in person and all have said I have pretty thick hair. 

1) What density cm would be considered great for me?

2) What density cm would be considered good or good enough? (may not be super dense, but passes the illusion of density, can style your hair how you want, not see through under bright light)?

3) What density cm would be the low threshold where a 2nd touch up would likely be necessary?

Thanks. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

Density is a moving target for each person but if you have say 80cm/2 native density and then thick hair, you could use the rule of thumb of 50% to have a ballpark figure but remember that if you stuck 40 grafts that were all singles into a cm/2, that's 40 hairs total. Now if you took say 20 double follicles you have the same 40 hairs total for half the grafts. 

So that's why it's not just about science or maths, it's also about cherry picking and placing hair in the most artistic manner possible to create that "Illusion of Density" people talk about. 

I think having thick hair can be advantageous for coverage but it has minor downsides when trying to find the slower growing, thinner hair to put on temples and the frontal hairline to give it a more natural feathered appearance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

Density is a moving target for each person but if you have say 80cm/2 native density and then thick hair, you could use the rule of thumb of 50% to have a ballpark figure but remember that if you stuck 40 grafts that were all singles into a cm/2, that's 40 hairs total. Now if you took say 20 double follicles you have the same 40 hairs total for half the grafts. 

So that's why it's not just about science or maths, it's also about cherry picking and placing hair in the most artistic manner possible to create that "Illusion of Density" people talk about. 

I think having thick hair can be advantageous for coverage but it has minor downsides when trying to find the slower growing, thinner hair to put on temples and the frontal hairline to give it a more natural feathered appearance. 

I like the way this was said. I agree with this exactly. Would also like to add if your hair grows in certain patterns (based off your skull) angles really matter. They can play a part in determining how many grafts can be placed somewhere.

for example people with bigger lateral humps may have more grafts in that particular area. It’s very case by case to say the least. If you post some pictures I’m sure someone can show you how to determine the square centimeter coverage. 

In my case I have more coarse, thicker, wavy/curly hair, so I can get away with lesser grafts because curls help to cover more density. 

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

8 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I am a Caucasian with pale skin. I have seen 3 HT docs in person and all have said I have pretty thick hair. 

1) What density cm would be considered great for me?

2) What density cm would be considered good or good enough? (may not be super dense, but passes the illusion of density, can style your hair how you want, not see through under bright light)?

3) What density cm would be the low threshold where a 2nd touch up would likely be

40 to 50 hair per sqcm is sufficient to give a great illusion of density. You wouldn't require another procedure into the already transplanted areas with this density.

Edited by Eugenix Hair Sciences

HappyMan,

The question of what density is right for you can’t really be answered unless we see your photos I know not only how thick/coarse your hair is but how much area needs to be covered.  for example, Dr. Rahal can densely packed your hairline at 80 or even 90 FU/cm2 but that doesn’t mean that’s what’s right for you.

For starters, hair loss typically isn’t noticeable until an individual has lost approximately 50% of their hair in any given area. Since true density can range on average anywhere between 75 to 100 FU/cm2, creating an adequate illusion of density would be half of that which would be anywhere between 37.5 and 50 FU/cm2.   With thick/coarse hair, I would suspect that anywhere between 40 to 50 fu/cm2 would be sufficient in giving you a dense looking head of hair.

that said, if you are pushing a Norwood 5 to 6 for example, creating areas of density that high would mean sacrificing coverage in other areas of your scalp - unless of course you have a phenomenal amount of available donor hair.

Typically, for patients with advanced balding, surgeons will create a natural looking hairline using single haired FUs with double and multi haired FUs behind it at higher densities and gradually reduce density as it goes back into the midsection of your scalp.  Density is even more gradually reduced as it goes into the crown area, using just enough to re-create the natural whorl.

If a NW5/6 is lucky, they’ll be able to obtain full coverage with density ranging from 40 to 50 FUs in the front with a gradual fade into the crown bringing density down to between 20 to 30 FU/cm2.

Now if your hair loss pattern is much lower on the Norwood scale and you only need worked on in the front and maybe only a little in the midsection, you could obtain a higher density hair transplant that blends well in well with your natural hair.  That said, surgeons typically stay away from creating true density hair transplants especially if there is risk for future hair loss.

in summary, the factors that will determine the best and highest density that will help you meet your goals include:

1. available donor hair

2. area of baldness/thinning hair to cover 

3. the patient’s goals 

4. hair shaft diameter 

5. hair to scalp color contrast ratio

6. Placement of the grafts (surgeons possess their own unique placement strategies and some may require more grafts than others to achieve adequate density)

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.