Is the donor area good enough? Doubts

Hello everyone. It’s my first post.  I really appreciate all the support you provide here !

I’m 28 yo. I started losing hair since 19-20 yo, but now the process stopped. I was taking Finasterid and Minoxidil for 5-6 months, but I didn’t notice any improvements. 

Yesterday night I sent my pictures to the clinic of Dr Resul Yaman, and already in an hour (on Saturday at 00:14!) I received back an email saying “Dr. Resul Yaman recommends for your operation about 4500 grafts. Your donor area looks good.” These two sentences raised some doubts/questions: 1) Dr Resul Yaman himself made this recommendation on Friday midnight? 2) is the donor area really good. Can someone please advise regarding the donor area? Or it’s difficult to say from pictures?

In the email they offer a so called promo package “DHI with Yaman Implanter for 3250$“.

Other doctors that I consider are Erdogan, HLC, Pekiner, Bicer.

I attach the pictures. 
I would appreciate any feedback. 
thank you. 

B8B86E03-8116-47BC-BD28-08596D652EC7.jpeg

898813A2-B2AC-4289-BEB1-6B674A04A8B2.jpeg

97267B61-45C7-4646-9E09-6DD4B1947DD3.jpeg

DA984D18-303B-4131-AA07-D0EFE234730E.jpeg

0E445FFC-C54C-47C0-80E8-250526176641.jpeg

Do as many consultations as possible, and I would like to tell you to avoid both Koray and Yaman, but to orient yourself towards Pekiner and Bicer (They will  tell you that they will extract fewer grafts than Yaman),  surely the cost will be higher, but in the end it will be worth it.

• Like 6

• Administrators

What are your expectations?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

What are your expectations?

Usually I sport short hair (like on the pictures, or maybe even shorter), so in this case I guess the density should be decent. If not, then I can get a longer hairstyle. 
But now for some reason, I have doubts that the donor area is good enough. So I would be happy to confirm this and get at least some kind of hair transplant. So my expectations are low :)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DanCretu1752 said:

Usually I sport short hair (like on the pictures, or maybe even shorter), so in this case I guess the density should be decent. If not, then I can get a longer hairstyle. 
But now for some reason, I have doubts that the donor area is good enough. So I would be happy to confirm this and get at least some kind of hair transplant. So my expectations are low :)

The donor looks average. You won’t have great density with short hair. It will need to be a certain length to have the illusion of density. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would say you need to be on medication (at least finasteride) before you consider any kind of hair restoration. Given your age and pattern, the loss will likely continue.

im not a doctor but your donor looks ok to me.

your biggest concern right now should be stabilizing your hair loss. You have a lot of miniaturized hairs on the top of your head that can potentially be saved.

• Like 1

Dan,

Your donor area looks pretty solid in the pictures you presented. But keep in mind you have pretty advanced baldness so you won’t be able to restore a full head of hair.

In my personal opinion, the best course of action would be to recreate a conservative, mature looking hairline with higher density in the front, middle grade density in the mid section of the scalp and light density in the crown (just enough to recreate the natural whorl).

This will likely take more than one procedure to accomplish.   And if you’re still losing natural hair, donor hair will need to be placed and patterned in such a way that additional hair loss is accounted for while keeping some donor hair in reserve for future work if needed.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Valued Contributor

I think it's worth going back on finasteride and minoxidil if you stopped due to not seeing results. They both need at least a year for many people before you begin to see benefits. If your donor is in question then grow it out if possible to give a more accurate idea. If your donor is wanting then beard grafts make an excellent source for a hair transplant if done correctly. Have a look at Eugenix as they have basically perfected this art. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, DanCretu1752 said:

Hello everyone. It’s my first post.  I really appreciate all the support you provide here !

I’m 28 yo. I started losing hair since 19-20 yo, but now the process stopped. I was taking Finasterid and Minoxidil for 5-6 months, but I didn’t notice any improvements. 

Yesterday night I sent my pictures to the clinic of Dr Resul Yaman, and already in an hour (on Saturday at 00:14!) I received back an email saying “Dr. Resul Yaman recommends for your operation about 4500 grafts. Your donor area looks good.” These two sentences raised some doubts/questions: 1) Dr Resul Yaman himself made this recommendation on Friday midnight? 2) is the donor area really good. Can someone please advise regarding the donor area? Or it’s difficult to say from pictures?

In the email they offer a so called promo package “DHI with Yaman Implanter for 3250$“.

Other doctors that I consider are Erdogan, HLC, Pekiner, Bicer.

I attach the pictures. 
I would appreciate any feedback. 
thank you. 

B8B86E03-8116-47BC-BD28-08596D652EC7.jpeg

898813A2-B2AC-4289-BEB1-6B674A04A8B2.jpeg

97267B61-45C7-4646-9E09-6DD4B1947DD3.jpeg

DA984D18-303B-4131-AA07-D0EFE234730E.jpeg

0E445FFC-C54C-47C0-80E8-250526176641.jpeg

Your donor is average. It is not bad. Also, your beard donor can be used too.

The results of finasteride will be seen within the 8th to 12 month. You should continue taking the medications.

Edited by Eugenix Hair Sciences
  • Like 1

Unfornately without preventative medication (Finasteride) you will be Norwood 7 in the next two years. It is important...  the progression has gotten so bad that your balding is progressing into your ''safe zone'' in the back. 

You said you didn't notice improvements with Finasteride? I would give the medication another chance. This is very difficult to appreciate because you are focused on the medication to thicken your hair rather than helping it stabilize and slow down further hair loss. A lot of people who have been on the drug say the real effect takes place between 1 year - 2 year.   Some people say 6 months.   

Regarding hair transplant, you really need to go to someone who can work with both scalp and beard grafts if you are ever going to want to achieve any sort of natural result without being completely disappoint by being over harvested and disappointing coverage.  In my opinion you have an optimistic donor area with coarse brown hair, which is great for density. I can see your scalp yielding 2700-3000 grafts from the back and 2000 grafts from the beard under the chin. Do not rush into your decision, you have all the time in the world

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Of the doctors you listed only Bicer is worth it imo. The other doctors on the list are either hair mills or overharvest. I don't think you're going to be a Norwood 7 -- Norwood 6 looks more likely. I'd check your family history of baldness for a best estimation (even if not always accurate).

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:35 AM, DanCretu1752 said:

1) Dr Resul Yaman himself made this recommendation on Friday midnight?

not its not unusual.

A) Dr. Konior personally responds super quickly to many inquiries. Him and many other doctors schedule their own appointments without using a secretary.  They respond when they can

B) Not sure if you are referring to US time, but if so he responded Saturday morning Istanbul time. Nothing weird about checking up on work emails on the weekend. 

I really wouldn't read anything into this. Sounds like he got back to you really quickly, when he could have delayed his message till Monday. IMO that is bonus points, not a concern. 

Personally, i think all your choices arent really fit for your condition. If I were in your situation, i would consider taking the medications for over a year maybe even up to 24 months since you should see the shed effect really take place around 3-7 months.

I would switch from fin to dutasteride, include micro needling, and maybe see from that point forward. Since youre only 28 I think you should consider FUT to preserve as many grafts as possible since you cannot really tell what type of loss is further. If the drugs kick in really well you could potentially save thousands of grafts.

As for the doctors you suggested I think HLC, Pekiner, and Bicer are good choices for Turkey, but you should expand your search to other parts of EU (spain or portugal for example).

Just remember, once you decide to do surgery you have to commit to the look whether it is successful or not. 

Additionally, the reason why I say FUT is because you mentioned that you rock your hair short. If you do that I think you would have visible scars from FUE (not sure how short/long you keep your hair) but if youre willing to commit to growing it out you could potentially hide the FUT scar. But I hope you use this forum as a start and explore as many options as you possibly can.

Also to answer your question on the donor. I think it looks decent you have a good amount of hairs on your nape which tend to thin over time but have some darker spots above (under the crown) which i think you can attribute to the medications you have taken for the 5-6 months.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022