Argh! Dyed my transplanted and donor hair areas at 26 days... did I mess up?

Argh! As per the title, I dyed my hair (transplanted area and donor) at 26 days (today). 

The technician said that after 2 weeks was fine and my Doctor recommended 1 month. Pre-hair transplant, I colour my hair every 3 weeks. My hair is 95% grey on the sides so I have constantly been wearing a hat, avoiding friends/family and the gym since my surgery.

It was looking so bad compared to my usual dark brown colour, and I really wanted to head back to the gym.

I thought 2 days early shouldn't make a big difference, and wasn't really thinking properly. Plus all of my scabs have healed and I've been washing my hair as per usual. I have done so well to sleep upright, apply treatments, avoid any bumps, etc.

But now I've been googling and wondering if I have messed up and jeopardised my entire hair transplant.

Did I mess up?

I'll definitely be delaying the next colour treatment, that's for sure 😪

Edited by AndyDouglas

Not in my case, as my skin is very, very fair... so basically, I look balder.

On the plus side, the darker brown definitely looks better but I'm worried I've messed everything up after doing so well 😭

7 minutes ago, ciaus said:

You're fine at 26 days, even 2 or 3 weeks if you are healing normally. 

Thank you so much @ciaus This is very reassuring to hear during my mini freak out! 😁

I still think I'll take it a little bit easier next time and stick to a colour depositing conditioner, and then look at more natural options.

Edited by AndyDouglas

Just to add into this. 

Hair dye / Bleaching must depend on what exactly it's doing right. Because i imagine bleaching and then hair dye is much more detrimental than say a box dye of Just for Men or similar being used. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Just to add into this. 

Hair dye / Bleaching must depend on what exactly it's doing right. Because i imagine bleaching and then hair dye is much more detrimental than say a box dye of Just for Men or similar being used. 

Good point! 

I used a box of hair dye and rinsed it off 4 or so minutes earlier than recommended.

11 minutes ago, AndyDouglas said:

Good point! 

I used a box of hair dye and rinsed it off 4 or so minutes earlier than recommended.

Hair dye usually isn't as caustic as say bleaching the hair which is what i think a lot of people might think like i did when thinking of hair dye. 

Usually the box dyes are more mild and forgiving but personally i wouldn't feel comfortable using them till probably 6+ months. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Hair dye usually isn't as caustic as say bleaching the hair which is what i think a lot of people might think like i did when thinking of hair dye. 

Usually the box dyes are more mild and forgiving but personally i wouldn't feel comfortable using them till probably 6+ months. 

OK, thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely take it easier from now on with the hair dye.

The concern with hair dye ingredients is irritation at the surface layer when the skin is still healing from the surgery trauma. The actual follicles that we are concerned about are well below that. And they get anchored into their new blood supplies by no more than 10 days after the surgery.

image.png.616731b065ea2a2a0b731babd3031547.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AndyDouglas said:

So if I am understanding correctly @ciausthere is no chance of the follicles being damaged/stunted by the ingredients from the hair dye, thereby affecting future healthy hair growth, as they are well and truly below the skin?

Correct, when you've allowed for at least 2 or 3 weeks of normal healing to occur hair dye is not going to effect your results.

• Like 1

Rule of thumb is once the scalp is healed and not irritated your good which should be 2-3 weeks. I gave it 6 weeks to be on safe side but i still say your good once your healed. As stated box dyes are generally midler than a bleach treatment which presumably you didn't have.

Ive dyed last 2 transplants , just over a month out and no issues at all.  Just need a cure now for grey hair , now that the baldness is sorted!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BaldingBogger said:

Rule of thumb is once the scalp is healed and not irritated your good which should be 2-3 weeks. I gave it 6 weeks to be on safe side but i still say your good once your healed. As stated box dyes are generally midler than a bleach treatment which presumably you didn't have.

Ive dyed last 2 transplants , just over a month out and no issues at all.  Just need a cure now for grey hair , now that the baldness is sorted!!

Thank you, I was completely healed by 3 weeks. Very pleased by my progress given the first 7 days were so rough with swelling and searing pain. 

I'd sign up for that grey hair cure, especially since I started going grey in my early 20s!

• Moderators
12 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

a bit unrelated but arent grey hairs better then dark hairs for the transplanted area because the hair scalp contrast isnt so high?

I hear this a lot, but I always felt the opposite. When my hair is gray it's almost invisible against the scalp and looks so much thinner. Besides that it also makes me look older with gray hair.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.