Creatine after HT

NickJ

Hey guys,

I had my HT 10 weeks ago and didn' take creatine since then because you know the rumours about it and hair loss.

Since I saw benefits in the Gym (and for sports in general) I'm wondering when you would start taking it back (or if you would at all)?

I looked in the different topics about but there doesn't seem to be a consensus 
.Some say they wouldn't risk it (if we are on this forum we are afflicted by genetic hair-loss)

.Some say it's totally fine

23 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

personally creatine did not affect me actually i really think it helped speed up the growth process (along with the other supplents, regimen) go ahead and use it nothing to worry about

Thanks bro

• Administrators

I don’t believe creatine will affect your HT. But it can lead to higher levels of DHT and affect your non-transplanted hair. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

55 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t believe creatine will affect your HT. But it can lead to higher levels of DHT and affect your non-transplanted hair. 

Hey Melvin, I know you also work did you stop it completely?

Because some say that the study was done on 18/19 years old and so it's normal that hair-loss would progress on guys that are destined to lose their hair

But you and Dr Yaman definitely didn't recommend it

hair aside, do you feel creatine actually helps you lift? It's been a decade since I've taken it. I think it maybe added 10 lbs to my lift. There may have been a very minor aesthetic benefit, but it was all water weight. 

2 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

hair aside, do you feel creatine actually helps you lift? It's been a decade since I've taken it. I think it maybe added 10 lbs to my lift. There may have been a very minor aesthetic benefit, but it was all water weight. 

Yes, on performances the gain is not that big but in the recovery it does help a lot, also for Football (the US one). But it works more on some people than others, some people have no benefits at all from it.

Not using it anymore would be a loss but it wouldn't be dramatic tho

2 minutes ago, John1991 said:

There isn’t risk to the success of a hair transplant from creatine, though. 

Anything that can potentially increase dht levels is not worth some extra strength in the gym/water weight. Again this is my opinion. You spend thousands on a transplant and invest in your hair yet potentially put it at risk with a supplement that delivers temporary results.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Anything that can potentially increase dht levels is not worth some extra strength in the gym/water weight. Again this is my opinion. You spend thousands on a transplant and invest in your hair yet potentially put it at risk with a supplement that delivers temporary results.

If you’re talking about hair in general, it may have a very small risk of negative effects. In terms of whether you can use it after a hair transplant/whether it will impact graft growth, it’s not an issue. I should’ve specified.  I think it’s one of those things that may have a deleterious impact for those who are very prone to aggressive hair loss, but not so much to someone who has more minor loss. 

Creatine itself is not the reason why we lose hair. It can probably be a factor but the testosterone that turns into DHT will still effect your hair the same way it does normally.

The question does creatine cause hair loss.... no it does not. But there is a correlation between creatine and DHT.

Factors your forgetting are genetics, testosterone, 5alpha reductase, and DHT are all things you should consider before you can link a supplement to hair loss.

also for working out creatine helps to increase testosterone by working out which as a result, taking creatine and stimulating the muscle causes testosterone boost DHT. Its like saying everyone who works out loses hair (which of course is not true).

ex: saying all people who drink water all die. Or all smokers gets lung cancer.

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Especially when you are in your 20's, it'll effect you more because testosterone levels are higher, so it is possible that a slight boost of testosterone from taking creatine could raise DHT levels and help fuel the hair loss. Best to keep it under 3 grams daily as too much may do more harm than good, and is typically unnecessary even for bodybuilders and work out junkies.

As long as you're taking finasteride you should be blocking most of the DHT in the body regardless if your taking creatine or not. If you're not on finasteride, it's adding fuel to the fire of hair loss.

1 hour ago, Vann said:

Creatine itself is not the reason why we lose hair. It can probably be a factor but the testosterone that turns into DHT will still effect your hair the same way it does normally.

The question does creatine cause hair loss.... no it does not. But there is a correlation between creatine and DHT.

Factors your forgetting are genetics, testosterone, 5alpha reductase, and DHT are all things you should consider before you can link a supplement to hair loss.

also for working out creatine helps to increase testosterone by working out which as a result, taking creatine and stimulating the muscle causes testosterone boost DHT. Its like saying everyone who works out loses hair (which of course is not true).

ex: saying all people who drink water all die. Or all smokers gets lung cancer.

I was taking this into consideration, I can assure you my friend with NW1 don't know about this forum haha So this question was aimed at people with Alopecia

33 minutes ago, MazAB said:

Especially when you are in your 20's, it'll effect you more because testosterone levels are higher, so it is possible that a slight boost of testosterone from taking creatine could raise DHT levels and help fuel the hair loss. Best to keep it under 3 grams daily as too much may do more harm than good, and is typically unnecessary even for bodybuilders and work out junkies.

As long as you're taking finasteride you should be blocking most of the DHT in the body regardless if your taking creatine or not. If you're not on finasteride, it's adding fuel to the fire of hair loss.

Yeah I'm 28 but I'm on fin since 1 year (I did stabilise my hair loss NW3) and I wouldn't be happy with creatine having an affect on it

But as we can see in this thread consensus is really hard to reach. 

Why does creatine cause elevated test and elevated DHT. There is absolutely no mechanism I can comprehend that can cause this. If working out and getting stronger elevates your test levels will you give that up for your hair. What is next castrating yourself to keep hair? 

Creatine is the only proven legal, safe aid to improve your strength, which will in turn lead to more hypertrophy. It is not needed for lifting of course. But if you are in elite level and want that extra boost I would not think twice about using it. 

I dont know if it is getting old or what, but in my late 30s creatine gives me about 15% boost in my strength. It also makes cardio "easier." it is definitely noticeable. 

Edited by shiba1985
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

Why does creatine cause elevated test and elevated DHT. There is absolutely no mechanism I can comprehend that can cause this. If working out and getting stronger elevates your test levels will you give that up for your hair. What is next castrating yourself to keep hair? 

Creatine is the only proven legal, safe aid to improve your strength, which will in turn lead to more hypertrophy. It is not needed for lifting of course. But if you are in elite level and want that extra boost I would not think twice about using it. 

I dont know if it is getting old or what, but in my late 30s creatine gives me about 15% boost in my strength. It also makes cardio "easier." it is definitely noticeable. 

Same for me on the effects it's not life changing but it's a good boost. I'm definitely not elite but I workout 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week (us football or running when off season).

So yeah it's a big part of my life, as much as my hair.

The DHT elevation comes from it's effects on 5 alpha reductase if I am not mistaking

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Same for me on the effects it's not life changing but it's a good boost. I'm definitely not elite but I workout 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week (us football or running when off season).

So yeah it's a big part of my life, as much as my hair.

The DHT elevation comes from it's effects on 5 alpha reductase if I am not mistaking

There is just no possible way creatine causes DHT increase. Creatine work on ATP and energy cycle. 

I searched pubmed. There is just one study on rugby players. It does show a dramatic increase in DHT. The study lacks a control group of players that are taking creatine but do not do any workouts. It makes more sense that the DHT increase is from working out than creatine. The study seems suspect. 

having said that even if a bit of doubt, don't take it. OR measure your own DHT levels before starting and then measure it again in 14 days and then at 28 days to see the trend. 

9 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen studies showing it raises test but have def seen studies that it increases dht. That was more than enough to keep me away from it as we all know dht negatively impacts hair

13 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

thats the thing... creatine doesnt make you stronger. You get stronger the same way you did... by lifting.

Creatine helps with endurance so when you get that extra rep or 2 out you adversly gained more muscle contraction which as a result you get stronger.

'castrating' yourself isnt the solution to losing hair either. Its your hair follicles 'sensitivity' to hair loss which is mainly genetic.

edit: i forgot to mention, your idea of testing out hormone levels is a good idea. But its hard to find people that probably have taken it for awhile and those who have never taken it.

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022