My experience switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride as of 20/05/2022

drawdownfx

HI I will be documenting my journey on this thread to show my experience on switching from fin to dut. I started taking fin from January 2021. I remember I was extremely nervous as I took my first pill at night and then kept waking up mid night regretting what I had done and that I was never going to perform ever again xD. 

I am 27 years old and I actually started finasteride when I was 19 at 0.25 mg a day, I did it for a week and then quit because I was too scared (I wish I didn't). 

I started the pill on Jan 2021 at 0.5mg a day everyday, I had no side effects and was really happy about that. I then switched to 1 mg every other day after 3 months and kept that up  for a year. 1 year later I switched to 1mg everyday (shout out @NARMAK )as I felt my vertex slight crown thinning had stayed the same for a year. It's been 1 year and 3 months now being on finasteride and 3 months at full dose (NO SIDE EFFECTS THANK GOD) but I feel like my crown hasn't improved. My overall hair density has definitely improved but I want to recover my crown a bit and was told my Emilio (Dr pinto's assistant) that I should have started at 1mg everyday because atm it looks like it hasn't had too much of an impact.

Due to this I decided to switch to Dutasteride as of yesterday (20/05/2022),I am going to take it everyday for 5 days a week and rest 2 days. I currently was also doing  minoxidil once a day but have now increased that to twice a day since a week ago. I am contemplating getting onto oral but still researching. 

I was extremely nervous about Dutasteride but so far nothing has happened, fingers crossed it stays that way. I am a NW 2/3 with slight thinning in the vertex.

Will keep everyone updated on my experience with Dutasteride, really hoping this drug will help me close that vertex and thicken it up. Just want to stabilise my hair loss as much as possible and then recover my hairline through a hair transplant. Let me know if you have any questions!

P.S. will upload pictures when am home!

Edited by drawdownfx
  • Like 2

My hair transplant Journey with Dr. Freitas

Looking forwards to see your journey. When i posted my thread, i decided to show the month 0 starting point and then 12 month, but it genuinely did have a progression over the months i could appreciate. I think sometimes the more extreme the loss and recovery, the more impressive the response looks but do NOT be disappointed for 1 second for anybody that doesn't see those dame dramatic changes. Maintaining what you had is the #1 goal of the medication. Restoration from it (Finasteride) is honestly a bonus.

• Like 1

Pictures from the first day on finasteride
This is the first day on finasteride and what my hair was looking like. Couple of years ago I didn't have this scalp thinning. I was using just minoxidil once a day on the hairline ONLY. As soon as I noticed this miniaturization on the scalp I started applying on scalp and decided to hop onto Finasteride.1.gif.43f9d056b05d99f4520fc2224500bc0e.gif

14605304_WhatsAppImage2022-05-21at10_29_43PM.jpeg.7c4279a38ad2862eb906891362d06d0d.jpegThis is the hairline on the first day of finasteride. I don't think minoxidil has helped at all here but I continue to use in case it has slowed down the progression. 

1917656206_WhatsAppImage2022-05-21at10_30_06PM.jpeg.303e0e3aa2e9807cc48139d42c0368e4.jpeg

2.gif.d388ece78ad8206eee118320354bba34.gif

One Year after Finasteride

Nothing too significant in terms of re-growth.  I noticed a little bit of density but apart from that I think I have maintained which is always good. Also keep in mind this was at 1mg every other day. From Feb till now I have been taking 1mg everyday.

3.gif.db20c799d84e10060fb15b3a021ec3f8.gif

April 2022 (Below). Hairline I think was maintained but nothing in terms of regrowth. Not too much in the scalp either but I have maintained.

2105597160_WhatsAppImage2022-05-21at10_37_15PM.jpeg.fe696af3d71cc220026b60a53bc87055.jpeg988259221_WhatsAppImage2022-05-21at11_50_00PM.jpeg.1ecc58d72f96541bef1f05942208dd28.jpeg

I have decided to go with dutasteride 0.5mg followed by finasteride 1mg alternating between the two until I have finished my finasteride supply after which I will switch to dutasteride 5x a week. My hope is that I will have some regrowth in the scalp. I want to stabilise this area as much as possible so that I am a good candidate for hairline restoration.

I would love your views on my hair and whether you think I am a good candidate for a hair transplant atm (on my hairline) thank you! Will continue updating this thread I will do the next one in 3 months.

Edited by drawdownfx

On 5/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, NARMAK said:

Looking forwards to see your journey. When i posted my thread, i decided to show the month 0 starting point and then 12 month, but it genuinely did have a progression over the months i could appreciate. I think sometimes the more extreme the loss and recovery, the more impressive the response looks but do NOT be disappointed for 1 second for anybody that doesn't see those dame dramatic changes. Maintaining what you had is the #1 goal of the medication. Restoration from it (Finasteride) is honestly a bonus.

yh agreed your hair was already quite good. I am hoping that the scalp is restored a little with the addition of dutasteride.

• 2 weeks later...

I do notice Finasteride improvement after your one year mark which is cool to see. Mine returned in the same manor. Even if it’s hard to see, you’re now able to apply toppik in a more effective way to the new baby hairs that have come through. Will be following your Dutasteride transition!

• 3 weeks later...

You seem to have stabilized your hair loss so i don't see any problem in getting your hairline reconstruction. But before that why not go for Microneedling along with minoxidil for the crown. 

Edited by Adier

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Min12 said:

I have done the exact same, but currently shedding due to Dutasteride. Thinking of not completely stopping fin.

Are you taking Dut 0.5mg daily along with Fin 1mg? If youre taking Dut 0.5mg daily you dont need to take Fin as well.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

24 minutes ago, Vann said:

Are you taking Dut 0.5mg daily along with Fin 1mg? If youre taking Dut 0.5mg daily you dont need to take Fin as well.

I’ve been doing dut 3x a week for 2 ish months. Was on fin 3x a week prior to dut. Will now add find in the days I am not in dut.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...