Topical Finasteride - Macdonalds Pharmacy - Canada - Hasson & Wong

Wondering if anyone here orders topical finasteride from Macdonalds pharmacy in Vancouver ?

I seem to be having a lot of issues getting prescription (from Dr Wong) filled from this pharmacy. I was told that the initial order takes time (2-3 month) since they prioritize existing patients, but I got my first order in over 4 months. 

Now its been over 1 month, and they cant seem to fill my re-fill.. Every week, they say another few weeks. And I am getting close to running out on the topical.

Question:

- Anyone having similar issues ?

- If so, any resolution  (the pharmacist did say he will try to send a smaller pump, but nothing on that front yet)

- Any recommendation where I can get a reliable alternative source ?

- I am told by the clinic that Xyon in exactly the same medication, so I might try that (just that I am currently one month invested in this pharmacy, so I guess still betting on a unwell horse, than a new one). Not sure if I am reading the website correctly, but for anyone that uses their service, is it really $100 bucks a month ? (seems more than triple for what I am getting (when I do) at Macdonalds, given its the same thing)

Thanks for your time as always.

• Administrators

Let me reach out to Xyon. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I had my prescription faxed to Macdonald's pharmacy by Dr. Wong's office last September and was told it would be an extended waiting time. Still have not heard from them.

However, regarding Xyon, since it's the same formula as the one Macdonald's formulates for H&W, it seems like the go-to option in terms of accessibility. I just filled out my forms and am waiting to hear back from Xyon.

I'm curious about the prescription fee as well - $100 a month for 12 months seems strange to me. Not really liking the fact that I would be locked into paying 12 months worth of medicine upfront, or month-to-month consecutively. Idk, I just like having the ability to stop paying for medication instead of being contractually obligated to continue making payments until the prescription ends after 12 or however many months. Can someone please explain this to me?

some update:

- Yes they are both the same formulation (Macdonalds and Xyon)

- Xyon is $100 a month, if your doc recommends application daily.. (half, if your applying every other day, as I have been told to do so)

- Xyon is higher in price.

- Macdonalds will eventually cease to prorduce the topical for H&W, but I think there is still some time for that.

Hope that helps.