are certain hairstyles off the menu with transplanted hair?

Yes, and this is actually a very little discussed topic of HT's. 

Having a super fashionable high end hairstyle could potentially be out of the question. HT's are an illusion of density, and a few of the male-model or hollywood-type hairstyles you want may reveal a lack of density post HT

Many hip/fashionable hairstyles requires "perfect hair".

Also, even elite doctors may have difficulty getting transplant hair 100% exactly to the correct shape and angle, and this can play a big role in hairstyles. 

That all being said, you can certainly add holding product and concealer (if needed) to the HT to still get many great fashionable hairstyles

Anectotally, I feel like many if not the majority of HT's folks use hair products even more frequently than they may have pre HT

Edited by HappyMan2021

Shaving down to zero or very low numbers is often more difficult due to scars, differences in density between different areas etc, especially if you have a botched transplant. Likewise with skin fades. Sucks because when I first got a transplant, I did it with the intention of buzzing it very low but having a great hairline to go with it.

12 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Yes, and this is actually a very little discussed topic of HT's. 

Having a super fashionable high end hairstyle could potentially be out of the question. HT's are an illusion of density, and a few of the male-model or hollywood-type hairstyles you want may reveal a lack of density post HT

Many hip/fashionable hairstyles requires "perfect hair".

Also, even elite doctors may have difficulty getting transplant hair 100% exactly to the correct shape and angle, and this can play a big role in hairstyles. 

That all being said, you can certainly add holding product and concealer (if needed) to the HT to still get many great fashionable hairstyles

Anectotally, I feel like many if not the majority of HT's folks use hair products even more frequently than they may have pre HT

what kind of hairstyles can be recommend with transplanted hair?

11 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Shaving down to zero or very low numbers is often more difficult due to scars, differences in density between different areas etc, especially if you have a botched transplant. Likewise with skin fades. Sucks because when I first got a transplant, I did it with the intention of buzzing it very low but having a great hairline to go with it.

what about a buzzcut like this

6d9a127543fa2f3effeb23b97bae7a89.jpg

55 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

what about a buzzcut like this

i think this should be easy unless youre fully / overharvested, the hair length seems to be around 1.5cm to 2 cm?

you'll probably still be safe up to 1cm from skin

found a vid, might be different condition for other people because for this guy, his skin tone + hair is quite close unlike white skin + black hair, also the scarring is almost unnoticeable on him due to again, skin tone.

48 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I don't understand why someone would go through all the stress and money of a HT if all they want is a buzzcut. It's really not that far off from just shaving your head. 

The reason is because buzzing your with a solid hairline and dense hair looks way way better than a balding man buzzing his hair. Not all buzzes are created equal tbh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

The reason is because buzzing your with a solid hairline and dense hair looks way way better than a balding man buzzing his hair. Not all buzzes are created equal tbh

That's true but at the same time, given that the fundamentals of a hair transplant usually are to get an "Illusion of Density" and not match the native hair, its not a great idea to get a hair transplant without understanding that you might not be able to do that.

You could hypothetically if you have really low grade Norwood 2/3 hairloss at the most maybe risk 2 procedures to get close to native density and then you could go for that more buzzed look around the front. 

Personally i have always felt if you have hair, you should enjoy styling it and keeping it longer. Not in the way some use to mask hair loss with dodgy comb overs etc. but moreso for a visual look that suits. 

That said, hairs a personal thing and each individual to their own. If you want to get a hair transplant and get near native density and buzz it all down for eternity as your style, that's definitely something you can choose. 

• Like 1

This 100% true. 

There are many limitations stylewise with transplants. 

At the end of the day, hair transplants will never be like native hair. 

If you have a receding hairline with a strong frontal forelock like most people then the forelock will have somewhere between 60 to 80 healthy non miniaturized follicular units growing on each cm2 while the implanted sides of the hairline will generally have 50. 

As a result, if you buzz your head your new hairline will look less dense than the forelock and  hence stand out. 

Also the hairs harvested from the back and sides are never exactly the same in terms of color, texture, thickness etc....

Without even metionning the white dot scarring and thinned-out donor area, all the differences of density on your head etc etc...

If you wanna have a very short buzzcut then SMP is the only way to go....

Now when you grow your hair out longer there will always be an element of seethroughness and missing density when you take a closer look. 

Same story for the crown...If you have a slick bald spot in the crown then no matter how many hairs you implant you'll never be able to match the native hair density around it. 

A hair transplant is basically just a foundation for making a combover look fuller and allowing you to use hair fibers and sprays. 

Unless you have really mild hairloss (less than Norwood 3) and get a sucessful dense packing on yout hairline. 

Or a strong hairline with like Norwood 4 diffuse thinning type of pattern with still around 50%  of your native hairs and someone like Couto adds another 30-40 grafts per cm2 then it might look dense enough and close to what you used to have prior to Androgenic Alopecia. 

But again, not everyone is a candidate for it and dense packing (over 60 FU per cm2)  is not always the best option (risk of low survival rate etc...) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There will likely always be some sort of limitation, but just how many limitations and to what extent is going to vary person to person and depend largely on your specific situation. For example, my hair loss was consolidated to my hairline, I've only needed 2,000 grafts thus far, and the density in my hairline is really solid. Therefore, I'm going to have fewer limitations than someone who had a 4,000 graft strip procedure, for instance. I still need to be mindful of how short I shave the back/sides, but I do a no-guard fade all the time, and while the donor area isn't "perfect", it's definitely something I'm able to do without it looking alarming. 

I also imagine the level of limitation you experience after a hair transplant would likely be comparable to the level of limitation you had before it as well - just maybe a bit different.

These are great things to consider though and a valuable topic, because one of the keys to a successful hair transplant experience is having realistic expectations. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

16 hours ago, What is your agenda here said:

This 100% true. 

There are many limitations stylewise with transplants. 

At the end of the day, hair transplants will never be like native hair. 

If you have a receding hairline with a strong frontal forelock like most people then the forelock will have somewhere between 60 to 80 healthy non miniaturized follicular units growing on each cm2 while the implanted sides of the hairline will generally have 50. 

As a result, if you buzz your head your new hairline will look less dense than the forelock and  hence stand out. 

Also the hairs harvested from the back and sides are never exactly the same in terms of color, texture, thickness etc....

Without even metionning the white dot scarring and thinned-out donor area, all the differences of density on your head etc etc...

If you wanna have a very short buzzcut then SMP is the only way to go....

Now when you grow your hair out longer there will always be an element of seethroughness and missing density when you take a closer look. 

Same story for the crown...If you have a slick bald spot in the crown then no matter how many hairs you implant you'll never be able to match the native hair density around it. 

A hair transplant is basically just a foundation for making a combover look fuller and allowing you to use hair fibers and sprays. 

Unless you have really mild hairloss (less than Norwood 3) and get a sucessful dense packing on yout hairline. 

Or a strong hairline with like Norwood 4 diffuse thinning type of pattern with still around 50%  of your native hairs and someone like Couto adds another 30-40 grafts per cm2 then it might look dense enough and close to what you used to have prior to Androgenic Alopecia. 

But again, not everyone is a candidate for it and dense packing (over 60 FU per cm2)  is not always the best option (risk of low survival rate etc...) 

so what kind of hairstyles go hairtransplant guys usually go for?

On 5/5/2022 at 6:35 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

I don't understand why someone would go through all the stress and money of a HT if all they want is a buzzcut. It's really not that far off from just shaving your head. 

Your transplant may fail and then you will have no choice except trying repar over repair or shaving it

On 5/5/2022 at 5:01 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

and slick back? in theory possible?

I grew my transplanted hair long and sometimes I slick it back and sometimes I wear it down. Looks good and natural both ways.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 5/18/2022 at 11:52 AM, TommyLucchese said:

I grew my transplanted hair long and sometimes I slick it back and sometimes I wear it down. Looks good and natural both ways.

can look pretty good, i like this one here

image.jpeg.2b5c5eeae308e87a18b86c81f248dce8.jpeg

suspect the crown is bald though

it would depend on how uh... bald you are? if your hair is thin, you want them to kinda overlap to prevent your scalp showing.

there's also the transplanted hair direction, maybe guys with fine hair, they are easier to style, but less so with spikier hairs. i think many here says that they cannot style their hair certain way anymore, so you'll have to spend abit time and see what hair style works for you. there's hair dryer / iron but i think most people don't iron their hair to style them unless maybe there's a special occasion.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:16 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

so what kind of hairstyles go hairtransplant guys usually go for?

I don't think there are any set types of "hairstyles for people who've had hair transplants", primarily because every hair transplant and individual case is going to be different. There are so many factors that come into play in regards to the best hairstyle for a person after a hair transplant. Some people will be quite limited, and some won't - and there are so many different factors that come into play to decide this. If you're concerned about styling your hair after a HT, your best bet would be to find users on the forum who you share similarities with in regards to hair loss, number of grafts needed, hair type, etc., and see what works and doesn't work for them. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 weeks later...