Hairline receded because of external irritation only. 1. How to unclog? 2. How to make body remember to grow hair there again?

I'm male, age 35. The last two years, I grew out my hair to the point I couldn't see my hair line, and did not realize that the long bangs were leaving oil just on the top of my forehead near the hair line, causing it to get red and dry and chapped whenever I didn't shower regularly, causing my hairline to recede from this external irritation only (far as I can tell) and not because my hair line has started to recede naturally yet. I believe my hair line receded about 3/4 inches. The last 1/4 inch it receded was probably just the last few months, and the other 2/4 the prior year and half plus.

I finally realized this, cut my hair short, and start washing it much more often. My questions are:

1. How can I unclog the follicles that might have clogged 2 years ago? If it's impossible, can I at least unclog the ones from six months ago? One month?

2. Say I successfully unclog follicles from even six months or a year ago. They're unclogged, great, but the body is not used to growing hair there for the last six months or a year. How can I stimulate it to remember "hair should be here, the follicles are ready again, we can go back to growing hair there"? 

So the question is about both steps of the process. 1. Unclog/reopen/recreate follicles. 2. Get the body to grow hair there again. Whatever is the most I can get back, whether that's from two years ago, or just a month ago, I'd like to try. Even if there is something with only a 10% chance to undo the damage from 2 years ago, I'd like to try as long as it can't damage you. I heard about some sort of laser light they shine on the follicles, but that's the only thing I've heard of, and I wonder about shining lasers towards your brain, but again I know nothing about it. Really appreciate any advice because I'd like to act ASAP. And whatever I can do at home by myself, or do right away to at least start undoing the last month or as much as possible, please advise also. 

Edited by HugoLoss
  • Haha 1

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, sorry.

The body doesn’t forget what to do, if there are healthy follicles there, they will grow hair. Simple as that. When they take a follicle from the back of your head and it’s outside for quite sometime, replanted, do you think it forgets to grow hairs ? 

Did you have folliculitis or are you just assuming that you have hairloss from follicules being blocked?. It just sounds genetic hairloss to me

1 hour ago, BaldBobby said:

I’d try minoxidil and biotin. 

Thank you. Do you know if minoxidil is only for people who are balding because of deficiency of some sort of hormone or other reason like that for hair loss, but not because of external irritation? 

23 minutes ago, Kashnw7hope said:

Do you have pictures of the situation ?

No but I could take some. I dont have a before picture though so... basically everything looks the same as before, except my forehead is 3/4 inches longer. The loss is a little more on the sides than the center, but I think my hairline was like that anyway, plus I had more skin irritation in the corners so it probably affected that more. Let's say I lost 6/8 inches in the corners, 5/8 inches halfway to the corners, and 4/8 in the center, or something like that. So it's possible it's male pattern baldness or whatever it's called, but seems more likely it is from the external irritation.

12 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, sorry.

The body doesn’t forget what to do, if there are healthy follicles there, they will grow hair. Simple as that. When they take a follicle from the back of your head and it’s outside for quite sometime, replanted, do you think it forgets to grow hairs ? 

Did you have folliculitis or are you just assuming that you have hairloss from follicules being blocked?. It just sounds genetic hairloss to me

Fair enough. I dont know anything about the subject, this came out of left field, so I dont know what's dumb or not. Saw the problem, this seemed like the explanation, so joined the forum to get advice. I can treat for this and if not only it doesnt help the problem, but the problem persists, then I'll know it's an internal cause and ask about that next. But since this is most likely I wanted to get advice quick what to do about it.

"The body doesn’t forget what to do, if there are healthy follicles there, they will grow hair. Simple as that. When they take a follicle from the back of your head and it’s outside for quite sometime, replanted, do you think it forgets to grow hairs ?"

What's replanted? This is good news I guess. But I heard that if you gunk up your follicles and they close once, then they're closed for good basically. So how do I undo that? If they've been closed for one month, can they come back? Three months? Six? Two years? Like is it possible for me to get back hair from follicles that closed 2 years ago just with a certain shampoo, or taking vitamins, or only with a "hair transplant" or idk? First time I saw something talking about needle therapy or something was when I joined this forum.

Basically, what is realistic? What will I need to do for the follicles that closed 2 years ago? What will I need to do for the ones that closed one month ago? How far back can they have gotten closed with them still able to re-open with just shampoo, vitamins, etc? How far back can they have gotten closed with them still be able to re-open with laser therapy? What about needles whatever that is? 

Like basically given the situation I described, i could really use an overview of the different options and which is for what situation, and of how long past when a follicle closes up that it can be restored with each method? All of that goes to question 1 I asked. Then I assumed there would be the next stage of, even if it's open, how do you signal the body to start growing hair then again, but if you're saying that's not an issue then great. 

35 minutes ago, HugoLoss said:

Thank you. Do you know if minoxidil is only for people who are balding because of deficiency of some sort of hormone or other reason like that for hair loss, but not because of external irritation? 

No but I could take some. I dont have a before picture though so... basically everything looks the same as before, except my forehead is 3/4 inches longer. The loss is a little more on the sides than the center, but I think my hairline was like that anyway, plus I had more skin irritation in the corners so it probably affected that more. Let's say I lost 6/8 inches in the corners, 5/8 inches halfway to the corners, and 4/8 in the center, or something like that. So it's possible it's male pattern baldness or whatever it's called, but seems more likely it is from the external irritation.

Fair enough. I dont know anything about the subject, this came out of left field, so I dont know what's dumb or not. Saw the problem, this seemed like the explanation, so joined the forum to get advice. I can treat for this and if not only it doesnt help the problem, but the problem persists, then I'll know it's an internal cause and ask about that next. But since this is most likely I wanted to get advice quick what to do about it.

"The body doesn’t forget what to do, if there are healthy follicles there, they will grow hair. Simple as that. When they take a follicle from the back of your head and it’s outside for quite sometime, replanted, do you think it forgets to grow hairs ?"

What's replanted? This is good news I guess. But I heard that if you gunk up your follicles and they close once, then they're closed for good basically. So how do I undo that? If they've been closed for one month, can they come back? Three months? Six? Two years? Like is it possible for me to get back hair from follicles that closed 2 years ago just with a certain shampoo, or taking vitamins, or only with a "hair transplant" or idk? First time I saw something talking about needle therapy or something was when I joined this forum.

Basically, what is realistic? What will I need to do for the follicles that closed 2 years ago? What will I need to do for the ones that closed one month ago? How far back can they have gotten closed with them still able to re-open with just shampoo, vitamins, etc? How far back can they have gotten closed with them still be able to re-open with laser therapy? What about needles whatever that is? 

Like basically given the situation I described, i could really use an overview of the different options and which is for what situation, and of how long past when a follicle closes up that it can be restored with each method? All of that goes to question 1 I asked. Then I assumed there would be the next stage of, even if it's open, how do you signal the body to start growing hair then again, but if you're saying that's not an issue then great. 

Sorry, my reply seemed very harsh. Didn’t mean it like that.

I don’t know the answer to your questions, I have never even heard of clogged follicles causing hairloss, the closest thing is folliculitis which is a bacterial or fungal infection leading to death of hair follicles if left untreated.

I do know that if your hair stopped growing due to being clogged/infected, that would mean they died or severely damaged in which case there’s no chance they will grow back again. Once the follicle is gone, it’s gone forever.

I still believe it’s genetic hairloss. Posting your pictures will easily show it. Hairloss from follicultis, you would be really unlucky if that has happened. 

I would honestly consider your situation to be extremely rare and you shouldn't be looking for advice from strangers on the Internet for that but turn to a professional like a dermatologist. 

I have never ever heard of hair that gets a bit oily over time causing your hairline to recede. In fact, i would say my hair tends to get oily quite often and also i suffer from dandruff/dry scalp i regularly now manage but i don't necessarily believe it would have caused a fully localised hair loss in the manner you stated. 

Typically a male hairline recedes backwards from the frontal hairline and if it's not growing back, that sounds like the absolute text book example of DHT killing follicles as part of the male pattern hair loss and receding your hairline. 

There are exceptions where some diffuse thinning can also factor in and people also lose hair more around the crown area but if your hair loss is more pre-disposed to the frontal hair loss, your situation makes much more sense. 

So you have to go get a professional diagnosis for what you have. 

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, HugoLoss said:

I'm male, age 35. The last two years, I grew out my hair to the point I couldn't see my hair line, and did not realize that the long bangs were leaving oil just on the top of my forehead near the hair line, causing it to get red and dry and chapped whenever I didn't shower regularly, causing my hairline to recede from this external irritation only (far as I can tell) and not because my hair line has started to recede naturally yet. I believe my hair line receded about 3/4 inches. The last 1/4 inch it receded was probably just the last few months, and the other 2/4 the prior year and half plus.

I finally realized this, cut my hair short, and start washing it much more often. My questions are:

1. How can I unclog the follicles that might have clogged 2 years ago? If it's impossible, can I at least unclog the ones from six months ago? One month?

2. Say I successfully unclog follicles from even six months or a year ago. They're unclogged, great, but the body is not used to growing hair there for the last six months or a year. How can I stimulate it to remember "hair should be here, the follicles are ready again, we can go back to growing hair there"? 

So the question is about both steps of the process. 1. Unclog/reopen/recreate follicles. 2. Get the body to grow hair there again. Whatever is the most I can get back, whether that's from two years ago, or just a month ago, I'd like to try. Even if there is something with only a 10% chance to undo the damage from 2 years ago, I'd like to try as long as it can't damage you. I heard about some sort of laser light they shine on the follicles, but that's the only thing I've heard of, and I wonder about shining lasers towards your brain, but again I know nothing about it. Really appreciate any advice because I'd like to act ASAP. And whatever I can do at home by myself, or do right away to at least start undoing the last month or as much as possible, please advise also. 

You're describing MPB. Can you supply pics?

• Like 1