How long does Newley transplanted hair last?

I just had my hair transplant done at Eugenix India and I understand that you have to wait 12 months to get the final result.

This is the question I have

Since the transplanted hair is from a part of your head that hasn’t experienced male pattern baldness is will it last a long time, or will it sooner or later succumb to the ravages of the time and hormones and start shrinking and dispersing.

How long does a transplanted hair last?

do you need to take the fin to keep it healthy and for longer?

• Like 1

Why did you have a hair transplant without understanding the physiology behind how and why they work? Why didn't you ask Eugenix about this as part of your preparation? Why would you spend that much money on something that you weren't sure was going to be a permanent enhancement?

These are all questions that should have come up in your  preparation. You chose well by going to Eugenix but in the future make life altering decisions based on research. 

• Like 3

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

2 hours ago, Aussie2020 said:

I just had my hair transplant done at Eugenix India and I understand that you have to wait 12 months to get the final result.

Since the transplanted hair is from a part of your head that hasn’t experienced male pattern baldness is will it last a long time, or will it sooner or later succumb to the ravages of the time and hormones and start shrinking and dispersing.

Testosterone is what drives guys.  There is an ongoing conversion to DHT which most believe is an irritant to the follicle.  This seems to have an effect on the horizontal part of the head, but not the donor.  This is why transplants are normally harvested from that area.  If permanent there, they will be permanent wherever they're placed. 

Finasteride, Rogaine, PRP and Laser are the modalities we refer to when dealing with hair loss.  These can help with retention and enhancement of the native hair, particularly in the front, top and crown.  Not so much the donor. There are exceptions.

There are cases in which the donor can thin.  Global thinning, for example.  If the hair thins in the area, there can be subsequent thinning of the grafts.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

i am a few months away from my 10-year anniversary. Here is a thread with some pics I took last year.....everything looks exactly the same now.

I take finasteride and minoxidil on and off that has (i assume) helped me maintain the rest of the hair and keep my donor/transplanted hair in good shape. 

Everyone is different though. Didn't your surgeon analyse your scalp and discuss the potential for future loss with you? This should all be discussed during your consultation when a long-term plan was worked out. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Finasteride will help keep the donor area hair and generally the scalp hair healthier for longer by increasing the DHT blocking whilst you are on it. 

There's recently been a video Melvin did on his channel where top doctors talk about the importance of medication to help that hair quality to be there for longer. You can add in other things like PRP etc. but i think Finasteride is the main ingredient to help stave off hair thinning as you get older. 

5 hours ago, Tej123 said:

Is this a police interrogation lol, guy just asked for some advice jhz

Okay guy who joined 4 days ago. Give him some advice then. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Aussie2020,

Hair transplant surgery operates on a principal known as donor dominance. Essentially, transplanted hair, even when moved retains the properties it did before it was moved. Since the hair on the sides and back of the scalp is not susceptible to DHT (Dehydrotestosterone - the hormone responsible for carrying out androgenetic alopecia) and doesn’t fall out, transplanted hair taken from that area is essentially permanent.

Now there are other causes of different types of nongenetic hair loss that could potentially affect the donor hair and the transplanted hair, but typically, when the cause of that type of nongenetic baldness is found and treated, the hair would return.

Examples of non-genetic hair loss types include telogen effluvium, traction alopecia, trichotillomania (a hair pulling condition that if left untreated could lead to permanent hair loss because the roots become damaged), etc.  Causes of these types of non-genetic balding include but aren’t limited to traumatic stress, certain medications, hair pulling (intentional or unintentional such as right braiding, etc.), PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), extreme malnutrition, hyper or hypothyroidism, low ferritin levels, etc.

What I mentioned above about non-genetic causes of hair loss won’t likely apply to you but I wanted to bring this up because it’s necessary to address when answering whether or not transplant hair is actually permanent.   But in terms of genetic hair loss which is what most men and even women are experiencing when they undergo hair transplant surgery, the transplanted hair is essentially permanent.  

But long story short, transplanted hair is mostly permanent or at least as permanent as the hair on the sides of back of the scalp.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

What we do know scientifically speaking is that every hair follicle has a pre-disposed genetic program…therefore, some of them are resistant to DHT and some are DHT receptive…the ones that are DHT resistant are generally located in the donor zones and the ones selected for transplantation…they subsequently grow terminal hair which should last for many years.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 4/21/2022 at 10:35 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Aussie2020,

Hair transplant surgery operates on a principal known as donor dominance. Essentially, transplanted hair, even when moved retains the properties it did before it was moved. Since the hair on the sides and back of the scalp is not susceptible to DHT (Dehydrotestosterone - the hormone responsible for carrying out androgenetic alopecia) and doesn’t fall out, transplanted hair taken from that area is essentially permanent.

Now there are other causes of different types of nongenetic hair loss that could potentially affect the donor hair and the transplanted hair, but typically, when the cause of that type of nongenetic baldness is found and treated, the hair would return.

Examples of non-genetic hair loss types include telogen effluvium, traction alopecia, trichotillomania (a hair pulling condition that if left untreated could lead to permanent hair loss because the roots become damaged), etc.  Causes of these types of non-genetic balding include but aren’t limited to traumatic stress, certain medications, hair pulling (intentional or unintentional such as right braiding, etc.), PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), extreme malnutrition, hyper or hypothyroidism, low ferritin levels, etc.

What I mentioned above about non-genetic causes of hair loss won’t likely apply to you but I wanted to bring this up because it’s necessary to address when answering whether or not transplant hair is actually permanent.   But in terms of genetic hair loss which is what most men and even women are experiencing when they undergo hair transplant surgery, the transplanted hair is essentially permanent.  

But long story short, transplanted hair is mostly permanent or at least as permanent as the hair on the sides of back of the scalp.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you for the clarification, this is good news.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, Aussie2020 said:

The transplanted hair last as long as rhe hair on the donor area that they have been taken from. Hence, when they are taken from the permanent zone they last for a long time. Taking finasteride also helps sustain the transplanted hair as well as prevents the pre exisitng hair from disappearing due to baldness.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:47 AM, BDK081522 said:

Okay guy who joined 4 days ago. Give him some advice then. 

He's right though.  You're not his parents, and he's not asking to be ridiculed.  Guy just asked a question.

Check out my journey here:

We hope to see some progress pics as your regrowth occurs!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 4/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, NARMAK said:

Finasteride will help keep the donor area hair and generally the scalp hair healthier for longer by increasing the DHT blocking whilst you are on it. 

There's recently been a video Melvin did on his channel where top doctors talk about the importance of medication to help that hair quality to be there for longer. You can add in other things like PRP etc. but i think Finasteride is the main ingredient to help stave off hair thinning as you get older. 

You think minox is a must too long term or finasteride by itself is just as crucial as minox and fin?

1 minute ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

You think minox is a must too long term or finasteride by itself is just as crucial as minox and fin?

No, Minoxidil isn't a must too imo. 

My personal opinion is that Finasteride is a must in any and all people that can handle it. 

Minoxodil actually works on less people imo when even taken topically which is why it's then recommended to switch to the oral form. 

If say for example Finasteride started to not work as well, you can switch to Dutasteride. With topcial Minoxodil you can't as easily switch to Oral Minoxodil imo. 

Finasteride and Minoxidil work synergistically for those who it works for very well, but Minoxidil should be used on a case by case basis and if you aren't using Finasteride for hair loss and just Minoxidil, you're masking the problem. Your hair loss eventually overtakes it. 

I usually recommend trying Finasteride for 12 months first. That way you have a good idea of seeing how much hair it helps preserve and then if you want to, add Minoxodil + Microneedling to bolster results where you want to go for regrowth. If you are quite far gone, then you should commit to both imo at the same time as long as you are willing to stay on both indefinitely. 

I do think Minoxidil can probably help you boost and thicken hair up much quicker than just Finasteride alone does. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NARMAK said:

No, Minoxidil isn't a must too imo. 

My personal opinion is that Finasteride is a must in any and all people that can handle it. 

Minoxodil actually works on less people imo when even taken topically which is why it's then recommended to switch to the oral form. 

If say for example Finasteride started to not work as well, you can switch to Dutasteride. With topcial Minoxodil you can't as easily switch to Oral Minoxodil imo. 

Finasteride and Minoxidil work synergistically for those who it works for very well, but Minoxidil should be used on a case by case basis and if you aren't using Finasteride for hair loss and just Minoxidil, you're masking the problem. Your hair loss eventually overtakes it. 

I usually recommend trying Finasteride for 12 months first. That way you have a good idea of seeing how much hair it helps preserve and then if you want to, add Minoxodil + Microneedling to bolster results where you want to go for regrowth. If you are quite far gone, then you should commit to both imo at the same time as long as you are willing to stay on both indefinitely. 

I do think Minoxidil can probably help you boost and thicken hair up much quicker than just Finasteride alone does. 

If I wanted to have kids one day and had to stop fin/Dut for that what could I do to still preserve transplanted/not transplanted hair?

37 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

If I wanted to have kids one day and had to stop fin/Dut for that what could I do to still preserve transplanted/not transplanted hair?

Firstly you don't have to stop Finasteride/Dutasteride for long. I think most doctors recommend you stop a month or so beforehand whilst trying to conceive. Finasteride usually leaves your body sooner than Dutasteride which has a longer half life. 

There are some people who have said they stayed on the medication whilst they conceived their child but honestly, unless you were extremely unlucky, your hair won't suddenly fall out completely by stopping for a month or two. In those couple months, DHT would rise and start attacking the follicles again but when you resume, i'd like to wager for most people their hair will become stronger again. 

Technically speaking, transplanted hair are also much more protected against the DHT naturally so it's even less of a risk to them. Visually especially if you had them in the front or most of your scalp, stopping won't be as detrimental to them with DHT spiking again. 

Usually you only need to get off it to maximise your chance to conceive it seems, so once that's done, you could hop right back on but use protection again like usual. 

It's best not to over think it too much imo. 

3 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Firstly you don't have to stop Finasteride/Dutasteride for long. I think most doctors recommend you stop a month or so beforehand whilst trying to conceive. Finasteride usually leaves your body sooner than Dutasteride which has a longer half life. 

There are some people who have said they stayed on the medication whilst they conceived their child but honestly, unless you were extremely unlucky, your hair won't suddenly fall out completely by stopping for a month or two. In those couple months, DHT would rise and start attacking the follicles again but when you resume, i'd like to wager for most people their hair will become stronger again. 

Technically speaking, transplanted hair are also much more protected against the DHT naturally so it's even less of a risk to them. Visually especially if you had them in the front or most of your scalp, stopping won't be as detrimental to them with DHT spiking again. 

Usually you only need to get off it to maximise your chance to conceive it seems, so once that's done, you could hop right back on but use protection again like usual. 

It's best not to over think it too much imo. 

My wife and I do want to have kids so fertility would be an issue, I wonder if I take topical fin if that would have less effect on my fertility?

3 hours ago, Aussie2020 said:

My wife and I do want to have kids so fertility would be an issue, I wonder if I take topical fin if that would have less effect on my fertility?

There's a few factors to fertility and if you had issues unknowingly before Finasteride, even if you stopped, those issues might need to be addressed and dealt with. A lot of people do blame the medication though as a boogeyman imo because almost no guy goes to get their sperm checked for fertility issues before having started the medication to see if there was issues.