Ugly duckling phase after second FUE?

Hey everyone!

Looking to book my second FUE (1200) to add some density and fill in loss behind my first FUE (1852 to the front).

The ugly duckling phase was very hard for me, even though I knew it was coming and would and did end.

Wondering what the ugly duckling phase is like for a second procedure? About the same? Less so because there’s transplanted hair there now?

Any insight appreciated!

• Administrators

For me, the ugly duckling phase has been even harder. When I was bald, it kinda didn't matter cause my hair looked like crap. But now, after getting my last HT. It was mentally difficult to see my hair look worse than it did before surgery. It's just something we have to accept. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

assuming the 1st HT was successful, the existing grafts should hide/blend/conceal some of the ugly ducklingness of this 2nd HT

Got it...thought you were implying that the scalp would heal better or something. For me, the ugly duckling thing is about more than just having a bare scalp on top. It's also donor shock, pimples, redness, etc.

You can't avoid the ugly duckling phase.  Just accept it and get that second procedure done.  I had my second surgery (2,000 grafts) 2 years after my first.  You can see my pictures and videos on my website (listed below) if you want to compare my results.  I'm sure you are having way fewer grafts transplanted so the recovery will seem easier to deal with.  Your existing hair will grow quick enough and hide some of the recovery.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Melvin nailed it. You have the trust the process. It is mentally difficult to accept things might get worse before they get better. You just can't hurry up progress--and no matter how often you look in the mirror, fret about about it, second-guess, the cake has been made and now you just have to wait until it is baked. Hair has growing stages so let mother nature do her work. I am at 5 months. The exciting part is that the growth is cosmetically noticable from the 4 month mark--and I can't wait for the six month change. The important thing with a HT your hair is improving month by month as opposed to pre-HT regression. Isn't it nice that we can look forward to better hair as opposed to the alternative?

• Like 3