Hair clippers on the donor area?

A quick post-op question for those who've had their HTs.  When is it safe to use hair clippers to buzz/trim the donor area?  Most doctors say to refrain from using hair clippers on the recipient area for several months to even a year (cutting with scissors is ok), but what's the consensus on hair clippers the donor areao.O

I used clippers after 2 weeks...with a guard on so essentially was a number 1 and 3mm. Agree with all the above but would add just be aware of any spots post surgery. I used on both donor and recipient with zero problems ever. You should also make sure your scalp is free from any scabs/crusts by the time you use a clipper.

• Like 3

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

HairMe,

i’ve never heard any hair surgeon say that you should wait several months to a year to trim the donor area with hair clippers. That said, the answer will vary a little depending on whether you’ve had FUE or FUT/strip.

With FUT/strip, it’s pretty safe to use hair clippers on the sides and back of the scalp after the sutures or staples have been removed.

With FUE, if you’re careful you could probably use clippers a few days after the procedure however, I suggest waiting at least a week to let the donor area heal a little bit and then still, proceed with caution/care to minimize any discomfort.

Now, the above is my personal opinion and personal experience however, I always suggested patients follow their hair transplant surgeons postoperative instructions.

If your surgeon is telling you to wait several months to a year, I suggest asking him or her why they feel it wouldn’t be safe to use clippers on the area sooner. I also suggest posting about it so that we can discuss it here. 

At the end of the day, I think most surgeons err on the side of caution.  Ultimately, many of the postoperative  instructions are more like guidelines rather than hard fast rules so it is good to discuss them with your surgeon and get opinions from others who have had different instructions from their own doctors.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

16 hours ago, HairMe said:

A quick post-op question for those who've had their HTs.  When is it safe to use hair clippers to buzz/trim the donor area?  Most doctors say to refrain from using hair clippers on the recipient area for several months to even a year (cutting with scissors is ok), but what's the consensus on hair clippers the donor areao.O

You can start using hair clippers after the first headwash itself i.e. usually after 7 days. Provided your donor has healed properly. 

Edited by Gabreille Nelson Mukhia
  • Like 2

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

2 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

You can start using hair clippers after the first headwash itself i.e. usually after 7 days. Provided your donor has healed properly. 

How long would you suggest to wait before using hair clippers on the recipient area?

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

HairMe,

i’ve never heard any hair surgeon say that you should wait several months to a year to trim the donor area with hair clippers. That said, the answer will vary a little depending on whether you’ve had FUE or FUT/strip.

With FUT/strip, it’s pretty safe to use hair clippers on the sides and back of the scalp after the sutures or staples have been removed.

With FUE, if you’re careful you could probably use clippers a few days after the procedure however, I suggest waiting at least a week to let the donor area heal a little bit and then still, proceed with caution/care to minimize any discomfort.

Now, the above is my personal opinion and personal experience however, I always suggested patients follow their hair transplant surgeons postoperative instructions.

If your surgeon is telling you to wait several months to a year, I suggest asking him or her why they feel it wouldn’t be safe to use clippers on the area sooner. I also suggest posting about it so that we can discuss it here. 

At the end of the day, I think most surgeons err on the side of caution.  Ultimately, many of the postoperative  instructions are more like guidelines rather than hard fast rules so it is good to discuss them with your surgeon and get opinions from others who have had different instructions from their own doctors.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

How long would you suggest to wait before using hair clippers on the recipient area?

HairMe,

you can use hair clippers on the recipient area around the time the scabs/crust come off which is typically between 7 to 10 days after your hair transplant.  That said, the transplanted  hair itself probably won’t be long enough for any kind of haircut at that time but any surrounding natural hair is safe to cut/clip as long as a transplanted  hair is firmly rooted and the crusts/scabs are gone. 

I hope this helps. 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.