Sleeping after a Hair Transplant

I'm just curious what your experiences were like and what you did to try and make yourself comfortable especially the first few nights. Is a good travel pillow around your neck a must? Or did some of you just squeeze yourself together with a bunch of pillows and hope for the best? Thanks.

To me, it was the worst part. I used a neck pillow on top of a regular pillow. I usually lay on my side so I put my hand under my cheek area and slept like this. I woke up many times the 1st week worried about messing it up though. The neck pillow definitely helped. 

When is your surgery?

I would say to have a really chunky memory foam neck pillow that can help secure you from turning onto your sides and laying down directly on the back of the donor area. 

Sleeping for some people naturally turns your body in many directions so depending on that factor, you might want to try sleep upright in a chair that reclines that keeps you "squished" in one position and prevents you turning onto your sides. 

13 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I would say to have a really chunky memory foam neck pillow that can help secure you from turning onto your sides and laying down directly on the back of the donor area. 

Sleeping for some people naturally turns your body in many directions so depending on that factor, you might want to try sleep upright in a chair that reclines that keeps you "squished" in one position and prevents you turning onto your sides. 

Its going to be very difficult for me. Never in my life have I not slept on my side. I think I've fallen asleep on a couch laying back a bit a few times in my life. A recliner might be a good idea, though I doubt a hotel room is going to have one of those. @JoeMan I haven't booked anything just yet.

• Administrators

I made a tutorial 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

How do you sleep if you had the crown done ? And your crown goes with far back. 

Do you sleep with a face pillow on your face ?  

I got through sleeping after front and midscalp surgery  OK . However, I am  concerned when I ll have the crown done later because my crown is really low from the back and would be almost impossible to sleep the way I slept after my first surgery .

ML488,

it’s certainly true that a good supportive travem/neck pillow would be helpful in providing comfort and rest the first couple nights after hair transplant surgery. It’s not 100 percent necessary but if you are able to obtain one in some way, I recommend giving it a shot. Sleeping elevated with your head up higher and on your back is usually a good idea which both protects the newly transplanted hair and the donor area.

If possible, try not to move around too much and stay in one position. I’m not sure how unavoidable that really is but it’s worth mentioning.  At the end of the day, do what feels comfortable and do your best not to rub up against the new grafts for the first couple of nights.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

This is one of the things that also worries me pre op and am on the same bus as OP because I tend to make alot of nighttime movements so I am thinking about one out of two things. 

First one is sleeping in my chair, second is bring our mini bed to the living room and sleep there. There is actually a third one which is trying to sleep on the couch. But I feel like the safest thing to do is maybe just sleep in a chair in the most confortable position as possible, I know its going to be a challenge so I am quite anxious about it.

21 hours ago, ML488 said:

I'm just curious what your experiences were like and what you did to try and make yourself comfortable especially the first few nights. Is a good travel pillow around your neck a must? Or did some of you just squeeze yourself together with a bunch of pillows and hope for the best? Thanks.

A travel pillow is very helpful while sleeping and travelling. You can also use a bunch of pillows to keep you in position while sleeping. The doctors will teach you how to sleep in different positions without damaging your transplanted area. You can sleep on your donor. The recipient area has to be kept safe and should not be rubbed against or scratched.