Contradicting advice from "recommended" Dr's. Is this normal?

Hi guys. I've followed in the background for a while now, reading a lot of threads and following some journeys. My objective had been to establish which clinics can be trusted. I chose 3 Dr's who come with good reviews from you guys and I contacted them. I've heard back from 2 of them.

Dr Turan - I'm not a good candidate for a HT as my donor area was not great. Recommended I see a dermatologist and start on finasteride or minoxidil.

Dr Yaman - Said my donor area is good and I'm a good candidate for HT. Gave me a quote with plenty of chat, back and forth.

Dr Bicer - requested further pictures. As of yet, no reply.

I know full well that you guys don't know better than a Dr does and I'm not trying to undermine any Dr. I would simply like some feedback from you experienced posters. I'll attach pictures below. I have previously had scalp micro pigmentation but you should see clear enough from the pictures after I let me hair grow for about 8 days.

Any advice regarding my predicament will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

PXL_20220328_120746387~2.jpg

PXL_20220328_120755275~2.jpg

PXL_20220328_120940973~2.jpg

PXL_20220328_120701934~2.jpg

PXL_20220328_120903923~2.jpg

PXL_20220328_120922508~2.jpg

PXL_20220328_120936054~2.jpg

Edited by John Davies
Clearer information.

• John Davies changed the title to Contradicting advice from "recommended" Dr's. Is this normal?

its absolutely normal to get contradicting advice. For my latest HT, I was flatly rejected from an extremely prominent doctor. 2 weeks later, I was accepted by a different elite doctor. 

Keep in mind doctors are human, they are running a for-profit business, and it is totally within their right to decline patients - for any reason. This is an elective, cosmetic procedure, not the ER. 

If your surgery has too low of a profit margin, is too complicated, or maybe the doctor simply doesn't like your personality and thinks you are going to bring a lot of drama and baggage, you are more likely to be rejected. 

And of course, unfortunately some people really are just not good candidates for surgery. If you find you are truly rejected for this reason, consider the doctor is doing you a favor. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MAIZE1694 said:

I would grow your hair out for a few weeks and take new pictures. Your hair is light with fair skin so it's harder to judge based on photos.

Also, did you get SMP done?

Yeah. The SMP makes growing it any longer a real problem as I look ridiculous. I was wearing a hat for the last week and a half until I eventually got these photos them shaved my head again.

1 hour ago, civic said:

I don't know how any doctor can possibly recommend anything with these pics, hair needs to be longer, not being sarcasric, just facts-)

Well one did. I also sent a video and he seemed to be very relaxed about my situation. I have actually edited the information to include the Dr information as I don't feel as though I am saying anything disrespectful. I simply wanted to enquire as to whether it was normal to receive contradicting information.

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

its absolutely normal to get contradicting advice. For my latest HT, I was flatly rejected from an extremely prominent doctor. 2 weeks later, I was accepted by a different elite doctor. 

Keep in mind doctors are human, they are running a for-profit business, and it is totally within their right to decline patients - for any reason. This is an elective, cosmetic procedure, not the ER. 

If your surgery has too low of a profit margin, is too complicated, or maybe the doctor simply doesn't like your personality and thinks you are going to bring a lot of drama and baggage, you are more likely to be rejected. 

And of course, unfortunately some people really are just not good candidates for surgery. If you find you are truly rejected for this reason, consider the doctor is doing you a favor. 

Yeah. I genuinely did appreciate the information that the rejecting Dr gave me as I assume he did it for my own good.

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

I know it’s not ideal given your hairstyle , but you need to have your hair grown to at least 2-3 guard for anyone to be able to have any real accurate input based upon pics. 

Who are the 3 surgeons ?  

I have edited the post to include names as I feel it's fair. I'm trust the input of each surgeon completely. I just want clarity on whether or not it's normal to receive what really is quite contradictory information.

This. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the detailed response by the way. It helps a lot to know that recieving contradictory information is really quite normal and causes no reason for suspicion. Hopefully your HT was successful and you no longer have the stresses that go with losing your hair.

3 hours ago, John Davies said:

Hi guys. I've followed in the background for a while now, reading a lot of threads and following some journeys. My objective had been to establish which clinics can be trusted. I chose 3 Dr's who come with good reviews from you guys and I contacted them. I've heard back from 2 of them.

Dr Turan - I'm not a good candidate for a HT as my donor area was not great. Recommended I see a dermatologist and start on finasteride or minoxidil.

Dr Yaman - Said my donor area is good and I'm a good candidate for HT. Gave me a quote with plenty of chat, back and forth.

I know full well that you guys don't know better than a Dr does and I'm not trying to undermine any Dr. I would simply like some feedback from you experienced posters. I'll attach pictures below. I have previously had scalp micro pigmentation but you should see clear enough from the pictures after I let me hair grow for about 8 days.

PXL_20220328_120913844.jpg

While Dr's can vary in what they say, I just don't understand how they can clearly assess your situation with the pictures/SMP. Honestly an in person consultation might be best but I know it's not always easy. If not I'd grow it out longer for a real assessment. While I'm sure it looks silly growing out, it will look worse after a HT and I think it will help get real graft numbers for your consultation. 

11 hours ago, John Davies said:

Please grow your hair out longer and share the pictures for a proper evaluation. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

A lot of the difference could simply be the thought process of the Dr. After looking at the pictures one may feel like you don't have a large supply of donor grafts and it is probably not in your best interest to start down the HT route. Another Dr may see that you had SMP done and figures that even if he isn't able to get a large number of grafts, even a small amount done in the SMP area and kept in a buzz cut would make your SMP look much better. In cases like this it's hard to say which is the right or wrong answer. Some of the determination is going to depend on how your conversation goes with each Dr.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.