Packing List or HT Procedure

Thanks to all the useful info on this board, I've decided on Dr. Konior for my HT procedure.  Going for the best!

My 2000 graft FUE with is 3 weeks away in mid-April.  I've been waiting for 6 months now!  I'll be sure to document my journey and pay it forward.

I've made this packing list based on what I've learned here and Dr. Konior's instruction sheet.

Any other things I should back for my procedure?  

-    Tape (taping icepack to forehead)
-    Icepack (small)
-    Ziplock bag (ice pack)
-    Surgical cap (for airplane travel)
-    Neck pillow (for sleeping upright – Melvin’s tip)
-    Dog pee pads (for wrapping neck pillow – Melvin’s tip)
-    IBUPROFEN 200 mg
-    DIAL ANTIBACTERIAL LIQUID SOAP (washing scalp before procedure)
-    ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT – Neosporin
-    ROGAINE FOAM 5%:
-    SPRAY BOTTLE
-    Gauze Pad
-    Vitamin C
-    SPRAY BOTTLE
-    Aquaphor Ointment Body Spray (hydrate the graft zone)

• Haha 1

Maybe they want it doubly clean?

Here's what their sheet said:

DIAL ANTIBACTERIAL LIQUID SOAP (or similar product): This is a skin cleanser that you will use the evening before surgery and the morning of surgery. It helps reduce bacteria on your scalp. Wash your hair, head, face, and neck. You DO NOT need a prescription for this. You can purchase this at most stores. Check the hand soap aisle. 

Edited by sbguy01

1 minute ago, sbguy01 said:

Maybe they want it to be double clean?

Here's what their sheet said:

DIAL ANTIBACTERIAL LIQUID SOAP (or similar product): This is a skin cleanser that you will use the evening before surgery and the morning of surgery. It helps reduce bacteria on your scalp. Wash your hair, head, face, and neck. You DO NOT need a prescription for this. You can purchase this at most stores. Check the hand soap aisle

interesting. also interesting the clinic is not providing you a spray bottle (for saline spray), they are telling you to provide your own. 

I'm not sure how soon/after they want you to apply Rogaine, but I would say that is optional. I don't see the point in applying Rogaine in the very very immediate pre and post surgery-phase. 

There will be zero effect for ignoring Rogaine for the 2-3 days or whatever you'll be in Chicago. 

Vitamin C seems optional too. 

There is nothing wrong with bring any of these items, I just don't think any of them are required or will have a tangible effect. 

I'm guessing you are paying 28k or so for surgery...certainly the clinic will provide everything that is truly required. 

• Administrators

All great things to pack, I would also pack arnica. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You don't need to bring minoxidil. Refrain from using it during the immediate post op healing period. He says you can restart at two weeks  

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Will admit, I'm a touch surprised to see some of those items are on the patient to bring, given the cost and notoriety of the clinic. I figured they'd provide everything you need.

I'll add one - something to tie your hands with at night. I used bungee cords but have also wrangled them up in the sheets of the hotel bed. This is to avoid scratching the recipient area at night, which can happen completely out of your control. I was extra cautious here and also trimmed my nails and wore medical gloves for the first 3 nights- that way even if my hand broke free and went for a sleepy-scratch it would just be the soft latex.

• Like 1

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

Yes, good point about not needing Rogaine until 2 weeks post-op.

Good tip about a hand tie 🙂.  I unconsciously pick my scalp now!  

And yes, for the amount I'm paying I would expect a goodie back with everything I need.   But it is what it is.  Apparently saline spray bottle is not longer needed.  They changed their protocol recently and said to stay in shower longer after the 2 day mark for hydration. 

I think they should all give you neck pillow and protective pee pads because sleeping upright is very important, and yet they don't actually tell us first timers how to do it correctly.  I can't recall the last time I had to sleep at a 45 degree angle.  Thanks to Melvin for the "how to sleep post-op" video.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/63041-sleeping-after-fue-showering-scab-removal/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

All great things to pack, I would also pack arnica. 

Good point about arnica.  We use that at home.  You suggesting that instead of ibuprofen? 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, sbguy01 said:

Good point about arnica.  We use that at home.  You suggesting that instead of ibuprofen? 

It doesn’t hurt to bring both. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.