Afro hair type, Norwood 6/7. Looking for a hair transplant surgeon local, or abroad

Hi everyone,

Im in my late thirties, and I'm a norwood 6/7, with frontal balding, and crown balding. Frontal balding started at age 23. Crown balding started within the last year.

Not currently on any hairloss regimen. I used minox for 4 years when I first started balding at age 23 and got great regrowth and maintenance, but it had a waning effect after 5 years, and I continued to lose  hair so i discontinued. I used  fin for a year but stopped due to sides. Did not see any regrowth on fin, and did not really notice a stoppage in hair loss progression.

I am interested in HT either in the USA, but most likely abroad due to cost. I have afro type curly hair.

Can anyone recommend a good hair transplant surgeon/center that I might have the best success with a hair transplant, esp at this stage of hairloss? 

thanks in advance everyone  

274751634_1318019728711048_8104170723258341338_n.jpeg

274822337_693216282125687_596266390916359159_n.jpeg

274863263_1153731088798425_9081664743113776520_n.jpeg

275023238_1439544623133807_628875454043542137_n.jpeg

275076553_701509351284463_8749102967467955389_n.jpeg

• Administrators

For afro hair I would suggest Diep, Bisanga, Mwamba, and for Norwood 6 cases in general I would say Eugenix and H&W are at the top. Have you sent any consultations? 

Feel free to use our link to send some consultations

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

32 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yes.

• I had a FaceTime/zoom appt with Dr. Ben Benham in Los Angeles USA. He suggested 3 k grafts for just the frontal area. 
  • I sent in my online consult form with pictures to ASMED Clinic and was told I was ineligible. This was their reply below.
"Hello,
First of all, thank you for your interest in our services. We have studied the information and the pictures you sent us and Dr. Koray has indicated that in your case the hair transplant is not a viable option given that the capacity of the donor area is not enough to cover the area affected by hair loss, therefor it is impossible to make an extraction without causing damages related to homogeneity and density. Hair transplant surgery relies on donor hair. Insufficient donor hair usually leads to a poor result. The basic premise is to move hair from one part of the head to another. This means taking hair from the back and sides and placing it around the frontal hairline and crown. The back and sides means donor area, so if we take hair from this donor area we will cause damages related to homogeneity and density there and also the result would not be a satisfying one. Therefore, the hair transplantation is not viable."
  • Waiting to hear a response from Dr. Ozlem Bicer. Sent pics to her consult team on whats app. 

For afro hair I would suggest Diep, Bisanga, Mwamba, and for Norwood 6 cases in general I would say Eugenix and H&W are at the top. Have you sent any consultations? 

Feel free to use our link to send some consultations

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

• Administrators

My first hair transplant was done by Dr. Behnam, the results are out there to see if they were good or not. But my second with Diep was excellent.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

13 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can you explain why Eugenix is a better clinic for high Norwood balding? Is that their specialty, or expertise? Or do they have better techniques?From my very novice understanding, it seems some surgeons wont bother to touch higher Norwoods, but in the case of Eugenix, they accept the challenge. why is that?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, johnphillip said:
14 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can you explain why Eugenix is a better clinic for high Norwood balding? Is that their specialty, or expertise? Or do they have better techniques?From my very novice understanding, it seems some surgeons wont bother to touch higher Norwoods, but in the case of Eugenix, they accept the challenge. why is that?

Eugenix has one of the largest portfolios of Norwood 6 cases. Look up @Bandit90 he was turned away from virtually everyone, as was @Gatsby they integrate BHT alot, which allows them to do these cases. The good thing for you is that afro textured hair and body hair is very similar, so it’s a great source of donor supply. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Try to talk with Eugenix since you are norwood 6/7 and need a lot of grafs. Find out if they can work with afro hairs and the results they have on it.

I did go to Dr.mwamba for 8 month ago and not happy with my result and will for sure make a thread about it. So emh try to find real patients reviews with afro hair when you are researching those good clinics. I did not do that and was heavily on what clinics published rather than find those pasients that went to those clinics. good luck bro

2 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

Try to talk with Eugenix since you are norwood 6/7 and need a lot of grafs. Find out if they can work with afro hairs and the results they have on it.

I did go to Dr.mwamba for 8 month ago and not happy with my result and will for sure make a thread about it. So emh try to find real patients reviews with afro hair when you are researching those good clinics. I did not do that and was heavily on what clinics published rather than find those pasients that went to those clinics. good luck bro

thanks for your reply. 

Dr. Mwamba is the ht surgeon in Belgium, right? What are you not liking about your results so far?

I sent in my pics to the Eugenix whats app consult line. Waiting to hear back.

Whats the best way to find real patient reviews with afro hair?

8 minutes ago, johnphillip said:

thanks for your reply. 

Dr. Mwamba is the ht surgeon in Belgium, right? What are you not liking about your results so far?

I sent in my pics to the Eugenix whats app consult line. Waiting to hear back.

Whats the best way to find real patient reviews with afro hair?

I would suggest looking at certain searches for key words "afro hair," "Afro," etc.

Also, maybe look at the surgeons reviews -- not solely doing afro hair. It would give you a good combination of what type of work they perform. Between curly hair, thin, afro, etc.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

You should also explain that you are a repair case, with a previously failed procedure and massively over harvested donor. While your expectations may not be met as of yet, it’s important to lay out these facts, as it will no doubt effect the overall outcome. That is why it’s best to do it right the first time.

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You should also explain that you are a repair case, with a previously failed procedure and massively over harvested donor. While your expectations may not be met as of yet, it’s important to lay out these facts, as it will no doubt effect the overall outcome. That is why it’s best to do it right the first time.

This is not my thread so i will not comment anymore on it but i just have to say some words regarding the case since you made this comment and i will do it with sincerity.

1) is true that my first surgery was not so good but that doesnt have anything with the bad growth i got now with dr. Mwamba. I was also basically not working on my previously surgery. I was lowering my hairline 1.5 cm without involving the area that was affected last time. So that means is not a excuss for the bad grow i got in this surgery. Basically I have had hair growth but unfortuntely it lacks density as in several areas in my hairline you can literally see the scalp with little hair. So the hair behind my hairline is my previous surgery and funny enought that area has a lot more density than this surgery with dr.mwamba. 

22 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

This is not my thread so i will not comment anymore on it but i just have to say some words regarding the case since you made this comment and i will do it with sincerity.

1) is true that my first surgery was not so good but that doesnt have anything with the bad growth i got now with dr. Mwamba. I was also basically not working on my previously surgery. I was lowering my hairline 1.5 cm without involving the area that was affected last time. So that means is not a excuss for the bad grow i got in this surgery. Basically I have had hair growth but unfortuntely it lacks density as in several areas in my hairline you can literally see the scalp with little hair. So the hair behind my hairline is my previous surgery and funny enought that area has a lot more density than this surgery with dr.mwamba. 

Can you share how many grafts and the price at Mwamba? You can pm me if u like. I get the feeling the price is up there like american clinics