Colombia or Mexico for a hair transplant?

I posted in reddit but i didnt get much info (link at bottom). 

I'm currently visiting Medellin Columbia from the states.  38 years old. I have decent hair loss on my crown and a receding hairline.  I dont take any finasteride or minoxidil.  Ive tried them before and didn't notice any improvement after 6-10 months of use. 

Anyways, Ive been thinking about a FUE transplant for years but have yet to pull the trigger. 

My brother had a transplant in mexico city at capilclinic and he seems to have had a decent result, altho the hairline is quite strong and not very natural looking.

im open to going there or perhaps do one here in colombia.   i saw a few threads on this forum but was unable to see the photos. 

Curious if anyone has experience or recommendations with any clinics here in colombia or mexico.  i did notice they have a DHI clinic here which is the same one in manila Philippines i was considering recently. I am planning to avoid turkey. 

Would love any suggestions or referrals! thanks

image.png.7a12b2efc043078c82a50f1272aa6116.png

image.thumb.png.38c1e647525147e8f24f5d123bd7b6fc.png

image.thumb.png.95209466a1c34f7fff499de492b42d12.pngimage.thumb.png.3e4a367a362796ca3dfde793bc2da41c.png

image.png

image.png

Finasteride is not really going to regrow your hair. It mainly prevents further loss so not seeing results so to speak is normal. If you didn't have side effects, you'd be wise to get back on it. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, travelguy1 said:

My brother had a transplant in mexico city at capilclinic and he seems to have had a decent result, altho the hairline is quite strong and not very natural looking.

There's your answer right there. You need to be researching for surgeons who have a large portfolio of natural looking results on patients with the same hair characteristics as yours. You need to see great results from surgeons in the crown and hairline. If you felt that finasteride did nothing for you then you need to take it longer than 10 months and/or look at dutasteride. If you are starting your research firstly with a budget then you will end up paying much more in the long run. Learn by my mistakes. They're free. All the best!

• Like 4

OP, you probably didn't research well enough or misunderstood the role of medication like Finasteride. 

Finasteride inhibits DHT to slow or stop hair loss progression where DHT is usually the primary cause of androgenetic alopecia. So the fact you were on it for 6-10 months and didn't see a progression of hair loss means the medication is actually doing its job. In fact, a long term Japanese study showed it still being effective in individuals 10 years later and helping mildly with regrowth. However, for regrowth to be possible you really should be using Minoxodil in combination with Microneedling to boost the results even further. 

Both Finasteride and Minoxidil/Microneedling work on different mechanisms of action and as such work synergistically to boost your hair restoration efforts. 

You could possibly still start Finasteride again with the above routine and throw in a ketoconazole 2% shampoo like Nizoral to further help. If you do have any issues with Vitamin deficiencies then that being address alongside any scalp issues such as inflammation, dandruff, seb derm etc. will all improve your scalp and hair regrowth. 

The scalps like a field. You need to ensure its fertile land in the best condition for hair to grow. 

• Like 1

i went to HMR in Tijuana MX and have nothing bad to say, great natural results, early growth at 2.5 months in, very professional staff I could not have for a better experience which is very hard in this industry, easy access from San Diego , CA...that said others mentioned in Mexico are Dr Nader, and out of Colombia, Dr. Camachos work has been popping up and looks great too. Good luck. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

i went to HMR in Tijuana MX and have nothing bad to say, great natural results, early growth at 2.5 months in, very professional staff I could not have for a better experience which is very hard in this industry, easy access from San Diego , CA...that said others mentioned in Mexico are Dr Nader, and out of Colombia, Dr. Camachos work has been popping up and looks great too. Good luck. 

Yes this is something I have noticed, Good stuff coming from Dr Camacho also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

There's your answer right there. You need to be researching for surgeons who have a large portfolio of natural looking results on patients with the same hair characteristics as yours. You need to see great results from surgeons in the crown and hairline. If you felt that finasteride did nothing for you then you need to take it longer than 10 months and/or look at dutasteride. If you are starting your research firstly with a budget then you will end up paying much more in the long run. Learn by my mistakes. They're free. All the best!

im not on a budget but i do want to do something outside the US where the pricing and value is much better.   never heard of dutasteride i will look into it.

Edited by travelguy1

• Administrators

I’ve seen good work from Dr. Nader, HMR and Dr. Camacho Bogota Hairlines. But, I suggest using our list of recommendations to consult with our forum-approved physicians. 
https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.